Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Kimika and her bad habit
My dog loves people! I mean she REALLY LOVES PEOPLE!

When people come over she jumps all over them.

Is there any tips that I could use to stop her from jumping on people?

How old is she??

You can always teach an old dog new tricks, it just takes longer.

You could take the long hard route of treats and training her.

or you could get a water shock collar, when she does it you press the button and it sprays water at her..... its humane but i dont like them.

I am a qualified dog trainer in my job so i would recomend the long method only coz its the best way.

watch an episode of The Dog Whisperer on tv if poss, he is amazing with dogs,

a tip he teaches is treat your dog if it miss behaves like your the dogs mother ! a mother dog will grab (not hard) or will pin the dog down with its mouth on the loose skin on the back / side of the dogs neck to teach it if its doin wrong -if your dog is jumping on people form a claw with your hand then with minimal pressure grab the loose skin at the side or/back of the neck and push the dog away or pin down for a few seconds - do not say the dogs name as they associate their name with good things - the dog will lay there as if its mother has pinned it and will relax very quick (must be an isnstinct thing), you'll have to do this a few times before the dog gets its but eventually will see you coming with your hand ready and should cease and stop jumping at the person, thats as brief as i can get it in a chat box - this is what the dog trainer on tv shows - it not my invention so no phoning the RSPCA on me anyone..i love animals especially dogs - it does work though

matty7 Wrote:watch an episode of The Dog Whisperer on tv if poss, he is amazing with dogs,

a tip he teaches is treat your dog if it miss behaves like your the dogs mother ! a mother dog will grab (not hard) or will pin the dog down with its mouth on the loose skin on the back / side of the dogs neck to teach it if its doin wrong -if your dog is jumping on people form a claw with your hand then with minimal pressure grab the loose skin at the side or/back of the neck and push the dog away or pin down for a few seconds - do not say the dogs name as they associate their name with good things - the dog will lay there as if its mother has pinned it and will relax very quick (must be an isnstinct thing), you'll have to do this a few times before the dog gets its but eventually will see you coming with your hand ready and should cease and stop jumping at the person, thats as brief as i can get it in a chat box - this is what the dog trainer on tv shows - it not my invention so no phoning the RSPCA on me anyone..i love animals especially dogs - it does work though

Matty brings up good points. However we dont work the way everyone else does as we are the army :p we have to do everything the hard way. LOL!!

A trick to show your domenance to a dog is to lightly bite its ear!! Not to cause pain, it just is a domenance thing !! It does work btw, i tried it when my new dog got cocky and decided to ignore me and piss about he pinned me down whildt playing so i wrestled him, he grabbed my arm ( he knew not to bite even tho hes an attack dog ) so i pinched his ear whilst my mouth was near his head and he instantly changed and came back into line, but its an alpha male thing !!!! your dog is still wild at heart and will do what he wants until you train him. There really is no short way other than to stick at it. You can get books on it and there is lots of diff things on the net and all dogs are diff as there genetic coding does make a diff ( ie a sheep dog will be easier to train that a poodle as sheep dogs have a genetic coding from their anscestors!! ) what kind of pouch is she??

Dogs are amaizing creatures. They respect the alpha male. My old dog would always go lie in my flat mates room as she would spoil him and let him do what he wanted. He knew i was the boss so he would go through for the easy life. He did what i said tho Tongue

There is lots of diff things. Grooming a dog is not just about keeping him / her clean, its an awsome way to bond with your dog. Also it makes you more of a 'parent' as you are grooming them as the mother would do.

Some people use clickers and whistles along with treats, we use treats and appraise.

Like Matty said, NEVER use the dogs name for anything other than to get its initial attention. If you have your dog coming when you say its name you will always fail to train. Look tell me more info and i will endevour to help more. I trained German Shepherd dogs and their mind set is slightly different. But i will try help.

Bazz xx

Okay, I will try some of your tips. Thanks guys.