Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long-distance relationships
How do you guys (and gals) keep a long-distance relationship going? Or what is the best advice you have on keeping things going when a couple can't be together?

I dont know. Unfortunately mines didn't work out. Mainly coz i couldn't do the whole long distance thing......

However, PA and MARSH are the perfect example of one that does work, speak to them!!

Tough one, this, because everyone's different. For me some of the important things are:
Love - he's got to be worth the trouble.
Talk about everything. Time's too precious to play stupid games. Find out what each needs from the other.
Trust - if I couldn't trust him or he couldn't trust me it wouldn't last.
Accept we both have lives to get on with when we're not together.
Keep in touch - text messages, online chatting, telephone calls, e-mails, carrier pigeon ... just get a message to each other daily and speak as often as possible.
Make a plan. I never leave him without knowing when I'll see him again.

Not an exhaustive list, but I hope it helps a little. Do you have particular concerns?

How long is the distance that seperates you too ?

i'm not sure how far the distance is in miles. we measure distance by driving time here Smile about an hour and a half's drive apart. not too far, but we only see each other every 4-6 weeks. the main concern is not feeling too lonely, we both suffer from varying levels of depression when we're apart. we do talk every day, and text, chat, and it helps a lot. but we still feel sad.

[COLOR="Purple"]Have you been in a relationship long?

It seems those depressing feelings are there for the first year or so until you get into the rhythm of (any) relationships.[/COLOR]

we've been together since november of '08. so a little over a year. I had huge problems with anxiety and depression during the first couple months, then he had problems with depression a while after I started to get used to it. I'm not sure that either of us is totally better, but it's not as bad as it was at first.

One of the best things that james said to me when i was dealing with the long term thing was this " we may live two hours apart but we have the rest of our lives to see eachother and it will make us stronger" Thats a good way of putting it and its been just a bit over three months now Big Grin

My journey of car, train, train, bus, plane, train, tram, bus, walk generally takes about nine or ten hours door to door. The quickest time has been about seven and a quarter hours. I make the trip at least once a month. Being self-employed I have some liberty to block out the second week of each month when I will not take any work in England.

90 minutes is not that long to travel, is it? I used to travel an hour to work twice a day, 5 times a week. Why do you only get together every 4 to 6 weeks? How long do you spend together when you meet? Have you been on holiday together? How much holiday time can you take off work?