Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seaweed Bread?
On the news(or GMTV to be precise) they had a scientist on who was talking about a new bread that aided weight loss either made from, or had Seaweed added to it!(apologies, I can't remember which:redface: )

This seaweed contains a chemical that inhibits the bodys ability to absorb fats, which is very similar to what the comercial weight loss pill does.
According to the presenters and the 10+ people who they showed try it at London aquarium said it tasted like normal bread.

Aparently the bread is also a lot safer to use than the pills due to the body being able to dispose of the unabsorbed fat easier than with the weight loss pill. I had a bit of trouble locating this story or any info online but I thought this was worth discusing.
Feel free to share your info on this matter as I must admit, apart from what I have mentioned above, I know nothing about this bread.:redface:

So, think this breads a good idea?
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Interesting. A few papers have covered the story, or rather they have re-written the original press release, which can be found here.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Ah, so it was added to the bread. This opens up a lot of posibilitys.:biggrin: Does make me wonder if theres a limit on how much of this special fibre we could eat though.:confused:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Yes I read it yesterday morning on Yahoo News.

All this reminded me of is that it is far too many months to wait for samphire season Wink

fredv3b Wrote:Interesting. A few papers have covered the story, or rather they have re-written the original press release, which can be found here.

I'd be waiting to see what the study on humans turns up before getting excited about this. The study on the artificial gut is promising, but by no means the end of the matter. In an actual human body there will be many other things this will interact with, so the effect may not be as pronounced, or even the complete reverse.

However, since it is already uses as a thickener and stabaliser in foods already it should be a reasonably cheap additive.

I am somewhat cynical, it all sounds a lot like a fad to me, which will have little real impact. However, it is certainly the case that seaweed is very nutritious and low in calories, so can play a role in a healthy or reducing diet.

Lilmy87 Wrote:seaweed is very nutritious and low in calories

One of the wonders of modern life in Britain is that that makes sense.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Lilmy87 Wrote:I am somewhat cynical, it all sounds a lot like a fad to me, which will have little real impact. However, it is certainly the case that seaweed is very nutritious and low in calories, so can play a role in a healthy or reducing diet.

Naturally I'd be cynical about this as well. I agree.

I wonder if this is available in the U.S. I wouldn't mind trying seaweed bread.

Cutieboy Wrote:Naturally I'd be cynical about this as well. I agree.

I wonder if this is available in the U.S. I wouldn't mind trying seaweed bread.

Yeh ill try anything! Even seaweed! Why call it seaweed in the first place if people eat it! Why not Sealettuce or seawheat or summit Tongue

albabonzai Wrote:Yeh ill try anything! Even seaweed! Why call it seaweed in the first place if people eat it! Why not Sealettuce or seawheat or summit Tongue

Im goin to a chinese restaurant on tues with family, first time i went there a freind told me to try the seaweed - i thought he was joking, turns out it was lovely, sweet and crunchy - i loved the stuff and cant wait to have some more