Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gym
So i'm seriously thinking of joining a gym. For as long as i can remember i've not been the thinnest of people, i'm not huge or anything (at least i don't think so) but i know i need to lose weight and i think that's the best way to do it.

I was out in a club the other day surrounded by gorgeous attractive shirtless men and it just made me think i'm wasting the early years of my life (i'm 21) by being not as attractive as i could be when i could change it.

The problem is i have no drive to go to a gym. I've never been to one before, i don't really understand how they work and frankly i'm kinda scared. I'm scared all the experienced gym goers would laugh at my lack of knowledge of the stuff, or that everyone would laugh at me for being a bigger guy when they're all toned and slim or whatever.

I'm really self conscious and i don't know how i can get over the constant fear that everyone would be mocking me if i went to work out.

Anyone got any advice or tips for me? I really want to do this but stupidly i'm just too scared.

Personaly I don't think I could use a gym for exactly the same reasons as you. Sad
Thats why i'm trying to find something active that I like doing, although i doubt i'll find anything.
If I end up not liking anything, I may just find a large park in london to aimlessly wonder around till i find a route i like which i could walk on a regular baseis.(if i can bare the repeativeness)

Good luck!:biggrin:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

it is good no top on! i done swimming at the gym. it is good exercise.

While looking at guys with no tops on is always a pleasure, i wouldn't feel confident enough to have mine off.

Also the idea of the changing rooms is also terrifying

Sorry I don't really have any advice about gyms themselves (though I doubt they are quite as scary as you fear).

However if all you want to do is loose weight, then your best bet is changing your diet. It takes an awful lot of physical work to make a meaningful increase in your total energy consumption, its a lot easier to reduce your energy intake. If you want to improve your general fitness you could try running or cycling. Where a gym can really help is if you want to build a bit of muscle.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Simple dude, if your nervous about not knowing how to use the equpment etc, just ask one of the personal trainers their. They will teach you everything for free due to I think you get a free begginners thing...

Either that I would suggest going with a group of friends the first few times so you don't have to look like an idiot alone. as I know the feeling, same reason I don't go to the gym XD will go when odler though.

and lastly, you dont really need to go to the gym, although it is good to get the advice frm the personal trainers.... anyhow if you have a nice amount of Wonga (cash) simply buy your own supplies from the likes of argos etc...

Hope this helps =D

At the very least you can use the treadmill/bike/elliptical if you don't know how to do anything else. But as long as you are not getting in someone's way, people (especially the kind at the gym) care a lot more about what they are doing and how they look than about your technique.

There are lots of different types of exercise you can do...the gym isn't for everyone. I had to make sure to keep myself in shape for my job and I became addicted to aerobics...did them twice a day for an hour each time for the better part of 20 years...I also did simple isometric routines....I like being fit but the muscle part kinda turned me off on both myself and other people so I opted for being toned vs muscles.

I joined a gym a couple years ago and rarely go...I don't like it. Fred is right about changing what you eat as well. I watch that BBC show sometimes with Jillian (you are what you eat)...she rocks it...love her! Her advice is excellent and she talks alot about finding a plan and exerices that is right for you because if you don't enjoy it chances are you wont' stick with it...good luck!

I attended a gym run by our local authority leisure services a few years ago. They insisted that all beginners (and returners, come to that) had an induction session to assess their starting level of fitness and make sure they knew how to do the exercises and use the equipment safely. This was backed up with regular reviews with one of the trainers. I would imagine the same thing happens up north unless you are considering a private gym?

I wouldn't worry about the changing rooms ... Think of the eye candy as reward for the pain. Wink

Good luck

jwm Wrote:So i'm seriously thinking of joining a gym. For as long as i can remember i've not been the thinnest of people, i'm not huge or anything (at least i don't think so) but i know i need to lose weight and i think that's the best way to do it.

I was out in a club the other day surrounded by gorgeous attractive shirtless men and it just made me think i'm wasting the early years of my life (i'm 21) by being not as attractive as i could be when i could change it.

The problem is i have no drive to go to a gym. I've never been to one before, i don't really understand how they work and frankly i'm kinda scared. I'm scared all the experienced gym goers would laugh at my lack of knowledge of the stuff, or that everyone would laugh at me for being a bigger guy when they're all toned and slim or whatever.

I'm really self conscious and i don't know how i can get over the constant fear that everyone would be mocking me if i went to work out.

Anyone got any advice or tips for me? I really want to do this but stupidly i'm just too scared.

Your reluctance is understandable... My suggestion would be to find a friend to go with you. Is there anyone around you that could do with doing some exercise too and would they join you in going to the gym? It would be a whole lot less daunting if you could go accompanied. Wink