Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
talking
hello . it was a very sad problem about talking.when i talked some times peple not newn what i said. it is hard taking. sometimes pepple say what did you say and mixedsup and not listen to me. i probelys talk vry rubbish what shall i do.writing is better! i get embaresed and not talk even.

joseph Wrote:hello . it was a very sad problem about talking.when i talked some times peple not newn what i said. it is hard taking. sometimes pepple say what did you say and mixedsup and not listen to me. i probelys talk vry rubbish what shall i do.writing is better! i get embaresed and not talk even.
Joseph, even if you feel like it, please don't give up. I know I sometimes find it hard to hear what you are saying when we talk, but like I said, it's my fault and I need to listen to you more carefully. I often find it difficult to understand other Geordies too, so it's not just you. I think you do a jolly good job when you write on here!

Bravo Bouncer

how can i make peple now what i was saying.i try hard like

I find people from Newcastle often speak very fast. Now i'm quite good with accents and i know a lot of people from up here so it's not too bad for me. But i know a lot of people struggle to understand geordies because they have a habit of talking really fast and i expect you'll be the same.

So my advice would be to just talk more slowly to people who aren't familiar with the accent that way they have more time to like understand what the words are you're saying before you move onto the next words.
Hope that makes sense? Obviously i don't know how you speak personally, but from my experience of Newcastle folk you just need to slow down your speaking voice and i expect that'd solve a lot of the problems

I would agree that a lot of Newcastle folk I've heard speak quite quickly but, to be fair, Joseph is very thoughtful and does not really do that. I think I would find it helpful if I could hear a few more consonants - sounds like d, t and sometimes s, for example. Those sounds often get lost on a bad telephone connection.

Have you spoken to your helpers about this, Joseph? They might have some more ideas. It must be horrible having to say things lots of times.

yes it is bad . i have to say it lots. some times if i said ,it dosent matter. i say how you spell iit.it if it not even work.! i triy hard.

I know you try hard, Joseph. I think you are marvellous Smile

You probably find the situation different when you have the person in front of you from when the other person is on the phone. It should be easier with the person in front of you, but maybe we actually use our ears better when we phone because that's the only sense that can be used to carry on with the conversation.
I think it's a good thing that you can write, Joseph. We can generally understand what you are talking about when you write.
Since you like dancing, what about some form of sign language, like deaf people use? Do you use your body a lot to help people understand what you are saying? This is not something you can do on the phone, or course, but when people are facing you, they can see your body move.

PS I think you are marvellous too... Smile

yes i can do some. now makaton. i ccan do sister mum hungery sandwichs walk airaplane tolet and that. of makaton.it is easer in rel life but i can say what was the letters!