Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Homosexual Poetics
I was bumbling around the internet and came across this article describing a tradition of "homosexual" poetics. I found the articel very interesting. I wonder what other's think. Can you cite any earlier manifestations of "homosexual" poetics or some from other cultures?

http://www.literateur.com/2009/10/identifying-a-homosexual-poetics/

"‘Walt Whitman’ proclaims himself as spokesman, a conduit for the ‘many long dumb voices’:

Through me forbidden voices, Voices of sexes and lusts, voices veil’d

and I remove the veil,

Voices indecent by me clarified and transfigur’d. (SM:87)

His egocentric poetics aspire to prophetic proportions, and the poet is seen as the receptacle of change. Leaves of Grass is a self-revelatory exploration of the self as both marginal and all-inclusive; by placing the self in a position of continual flux and fluidity, Whitman resists definition: ‘Of every hue and caste am I, of every rank and religion’ (SM:80); ‘I am not what you supposed, but far different’(C:148), ‘the mate and companion of all people’ (SM:69), ‘Maternal as well as paternal’ (SM:79). True to his vision of interrelatedness, Whitman denies singular definition. However, there is an exclusivity in his celebration of adhesive love, and despite all attempts for democratic equality, his utopian ideal solidifies the categories he strives to deny. Whitman’s universality is challenged by his determination to speak for and to his adhesive comrades, which often reaffirms the patriarchal inequalities of a homosocial order."

Calamus-Leaves. Live Oak, with Moss. I. Not the heat flames up and consumes,
Not the sea-waves hurry in and out,
Not the air, delicious and dry, the air of
the ripe summer, bears lightly along
white down-balls of myriads of seeds,
wafted, sailing gracefully, to drop
where they may,
Not these—O none of these, more than the
flames of me, consuming, burning for
his love whom I love—O none, more
than I, hurrying in and out;
Does the tide hurry, seeking something, and
never give up?—O I, the same, to
seek my life-long lover;
O nor down-balls, nor perfumes, nor the high
rain-emitting clouds, are borne through
the open air, more than my copious
soul is borne through the open air,
wafted in all directions, for friendship,
for love.—

Hey Wintereis, I have just spent hours on that website you have linked up there! The Literateur, is nice. I love this site. I am so sorry I have missed the competition by a month!! Have you entered and got feedback? The reason, I came in here is because, I write poetry, and some of them are gay themed. It would be nice to be published! Do you know of any other competitions and legitimate publishing houses?

this looks really intesrestingxD I never thought of homosexual poetics...lol I thught whatever I wrote was normal... The only difference...lol a guy wrote it for another.xD