Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Gay Cruises
Hi !

How many of you have gone on an ALL GAY CRUISE ?
Or even a gay group cruise ?

Starting in 2004, I began what has turned out to be my favorite way to travel - going on a gay cruise. And as one of the employees said on the ship I was on:
"The best crusie is a gay cruise!"

There are several misconceptions (myths) people have about gay cruises.
For one, they are NOT a huge floating gay bathhouse.
But they ARE very lively and FUN.
And the entertainment on board is often better than what one can find "on land";
and so is the food - particularly with the "speciality restaurants".
And ..... I have never encountered snobish, inpolite, or obnoxious behaviour from anyone on a gay cruise. [Str8 cruises on the other hand can be a "ship to hell".]

Money wise, traveling by cruise ship - for what you get - is less expensive than any other vacation venue.

This year I am going on an all gay cruise to Mexico - my 4th gay cruise. And next year I plan to travel in Europe via a gay cruise. It would be great to strike up a few acquaintances in Europe before that time arrives. So if anyone reading this would be interested in meeting me - and showing me around their city - I am all for getting to know you.

DJ
Confusedmile:

Never been on a gay cruise and it is probably unlikely that I shall ever go on one, but who knows!

Which places in Europe will your cruise ship be visiting?

I have to admit that cruises are not something that overly appeal to me at the moment. I've looked at the prices and for what you get, I think I'd get more enjoyment from a land based holiday.

Although, it depends on where the cruise was stopping at and if they were destinations I'd like to see. I've heard many people say that for a multi-city break style thing they can be quite good.

Ive just got back from a cruise last week ( not a gay cruise though....wishful thinking) . I had a great time , went to the Norwegian Fjords . I loved it . It was good value I think , considering it's all your travel , soft drinks , entertainment and amazing food , gym membership , swimming pool etc etc

One of the best things about it was being able to relax and see things at the same time . You dont have to do all the land based tours , just do your own thing . Its also a great place to meet people and have fun

With land based holidays if you added up what the holiday costs in total I would imagine that a cruise would be less expensive overall especially if you get a bargain late deal or early booking where they often give you free on board credit to spend on the ship . I would advise going for a cheaper cabin since most of the time we didnt really spend in our cabin

I would love to do a gay cruise , I was reading about one the other day which went to the Amsterdam gay pride , looks amazing though the photos suggest that all the passengers have amazing fit bodies and very good looking and i'm sure that is very far from reality lol , but never the less really appeals to me .

Gareth125 Wrote:Ive just got back from a cruise last week ( not a gay cruise though....wishful thinking) . I had a great time , went to the Norwegian Fjords . I loved it . It was good value I think , considering it's all your travel , soft drinks , entertainment and amazing food , gym membership , swimming pool etc etc

One of the best things about it was being able to relax and see things at the same time . You dont have to do all the land based tours , just do your own thing . Its also a great place to meet people and have fun

With land based holidays if you added up what the holiday costs in total I would imagine that a cruise would be less expensive overall especially if you get a bargain late deal or early booking where they often give you free on board credit to spend on the ship . I would advise going for a cheaper cabin since most of the time we didnt really spend in our cabin

I would love to do a gay cruise , I was reading about one the other day which went to the Amsterdam gay pride , looks amazing though the photos suggest that all the passengers have amazing fit bodies and very good looking and i'm sure that is very far from reality lol , but never the less really appeals to me .

Hello Gareth125!

Thanks for your imput; and sharing your experience with all of us about your recent cruise.
If I may, I would like to make a few comments regarding what you have stated about your cruise trip; and particularly with your last paragraph. Let's start with that first:

There is one specific reason why cruise ship agents, gay tour operators, and cruise lines show all those beautiful "hunks", e.g., .... amazing fit bodies and very good looking..." in their promotional ads: Because Sex sells.

Reality Check: Although there are - on any given gay cruise trip - very goodlooking, hot, young guys with buffed body builds onboard, the truth is they are not in the majority. And, most gay cruises are comprised of all age groups - young, older, and seniors. True, some destinations do draw a younger crowd - e.g., the Mexican Riveria Cruises. OR, an older crowd - e.g., Alaska.

But whatever the age group, I have always experienced a great deal of friendliness, respect for their fellow pasengers, and happy individuals - on every gay cruise I have been on. And more importantly, no one is interested in who you are 'sleeping' with; asking you how many kids you have; how long have you been married; and, what church do you belong to.
And if though that wasn't enough of an incentive to go on a gay cruise , there is one other important factor: Violence, fights, loud, obnoxious behaviour beyond any reasonable explanation for it, and other assorted "mayhem", are definitely not the 'norm' on gay cruises.

In 2005 I (and my lover) took a gay cruise with four str8 friends. During the cruise, and afterwards, all four of them told us they would not hestitate to go on another gay cruise; that the "guys" onboard made them feel welcomed - and there were no signs or hints of prejudice.

One point you mentioned that has a basis in fact:
Dollar for dollar, Pound for pound - or whatever the currency one uses - traveling on a cruise ship is less expensive than traveling by car, plane, or train - and a heck of lot more relaxing too!

The only point you raised that I find myself differing with you is:
"I would advise going for a cheaper cabin since most of the time we didnt really spend in our cabin".
I personally prefer (and do always select) a Stateroom with a Balcony. And the reasons are several, but not the least of which is I like the idea of being able to wake up in the morning, getting out of bed (with clothes on or not) and walking out onto the balcony with a cup of freshly brewed coffee in hand. Or, to hear the ocean waves at night while in bed; or, to sit and relax with a glass of wine with a newly made friend (or with a Stateroom mate) on the balcony at any time the occassion fits one's mood.
But that's just me .... everyone has their own reasons for choosing one type of stateroom over that of another.

The greatest part of all this? There are now many - repeat, MANY - choices that one can decide on regarding gay cruises. Just about anytime in the year, there is a gay cruise - ALL inclusive, or group cruise - that is departing some port somewhere in the world.

I must admit - on my first gay cruise I was (on the FIRST day) apprenhensive and somehwat nervous - not knowing exactly what to expect. But my doubts, my "fears", and my "reserve" soon vanished as the other gay passengers seemed to "sense" it was my first cruise - and they made me feel welcomed, without pressure or expectation of anything in exchange.

For those of you who haven't tried a gay cruise, you should pamper yourself at least once. Caution: I have never met a person who went on a gay cruise once - and once only. It IS addictive!

DJ

Sounds great , and I would love to go on a gay cruise if I had someone to go with . It would be nice to go on one with great nightlife as the one i went on was full of pensioners and was more akin to a monday night at the local conservative club with ballroom dancing and not a lot else , a bit flat for me, but thats cunard for you lol. Its great to hear that your str8 friends had a good time too and there was no unruely behaviour on board

With regard to the cabin grade , on our cruise we had a balcony room and I agree it was lovely to watch the scenary etc , but it was around £400 each more expensive for a weeks cruise than an inside one , for me next time I will go for an inside cabin because of how much cheaper it is and couldnt justify the extra expense , because everything else is the same ( food , service , entertainment etc etc ) . I guess it boils down to cost , if you can afford it go for it , if you cant dont be put off going for an inside cabin because you will still have a good time .

Well, DJ, you've sold the idea to me. Still not sure I would ever be able to afford one, certainly not in the foreseeable future. I'd have to get a proper job and there are some things that are too much of a sacrifice! I don't think I could cope, though, without a view and the sounds of the outside world. An interior cabin sounds like hell to this claustrophobic. I'd probably OD on Ventolin.

You can get one with a window , for a bit extra Marsh. Or maybe a porthole .

Now days with so many cruise ship options and several good tour operators catering to gay clientel, it is easy to book a cruise for as little as $75 per day. The majority of cruise trips cost under $150 per day.

Several factors govern whether or not the cruise trip will be expensive or not. Length of the cruise is certainly a major factor, but so are particular areas of the world (ports) where the cruise ship will visit.

As for the Stateroom with a Veranda Vs. an Inside Stateroom, a lot of the time the price difference is under $400, and sometimes only a matter of a $200 difference.

One other factor that really makes a difference in the cost of the cruise: An all gay cruise Vs. a gay group cruise. The former is nearly exclusively gay (a few straights are nearly always present, but represent less than 5% of the total passengers onboard) and, the ship is chartered by a Gay Travel Agency; while the latter is comprised of mostly straight passengers.

Gay group cruise trips generally have about 50 to 450 gay passengers. They are usually hosted by the gay tour operator; and there are private parties, onboard entertainment, and land excursions planned and arranged just for the gay group.

There are several good websites to view regarding the above, one being Aquafest cruises. Another excellent website is a travel ageny based in Ft. Lauderdale, FL: gay-travel-by-min.

Try it. Most who do book another cruise.

DJ

i'm sold on the Idea , sounds great . I just need to find someone to go with , wouldn't want to go on my own . Also live in the U.K so don't know if any gay cruises go from here . When my life is less complicated and assuming I will be able to afford it I will definately be considering it.