Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out letter - Advice
I've decided that the first member of my family that I want to come out to is my mom. I wrote her a letter and I plan on giving it her sometime soon. I'd like it if you guys could read it and tell me what you think.

Dear Mom,

There’s something important I want to tell you. I don’t know how else to say this and I thought a letter would be the best way. I’m bisexual. I’ve known for a few years now. I finally admitted it to myself when I was 19. There’s a few reasons why I haven’t told you this sooner. First, I’m so scared to tell you this in person. I honestly don’t know what your reaction will be when I come home. I hope you’ll be okay with it. Second, I wanted to be sure of myself. I’m almost 22 years old so I’ve had a few years to think about it. I know this isn’t just a phase.

I know you’re probably feeling a lot of different things right now. It’s taken me 19 years to finally accept it so I know it will take you some time to accept it too. I think you’ve always had your suspicions about it. I think you might have thought that I was gay or at least bi. I know I’m not gay and I’m not straight. I’m attracted to both women and men. I won’t change who I am. I’m still your son and I love you very much. This is such a huge thing for me. I’ve been living a lie for years now and giving you this letter finally lifts this huge weight off of my shoulders. I just don’t want you to look at me any differently.

I used to be so ashamed of who I was. I denied it for so long but I couldn’t hide it anymore. I’m happy I’ve accepted who I am and I hope you’ll be happy for me too. I don’t know who I’ll end up being with. It might be a girl or it might be a guy. I can see myself having a relationship with either sex. I just want you to be ok with it if I meet a guy that I like. I’ve never been in a relationship for this reason. I’ve been so confused since high school so that’s why I’ve never dated girls. I was fighting with my sexual orientation.

I’m still Kyle. I love you unconditionally with all my heart. I hope you know that. This is a huge step for me and I want you to be okay with who I am.

If you have any suggestions or changes, let me know. Thanks Smile

Naw man that's very much from the heart and it took a lot to write that out. It's perfect.

That looks pretty much pitch perfect to me, so good that you don't need my approval for it; go on, send that letter now.

Agreed. Good luck!

Excellent...tearing up. Let us know how it goes.

That's one he'll of a good letter man.. I hope your mum will understand you.. Well I know she will. Of al the members in a family mothers are the most considerate, loving, open-minded, and understanding.

Lastly, I admire your courage. Goodluck!

Thanks everyone. I'm going to Florida for spring break with some friends tomorrow night. I'm going to give it to her before I go and I'll be back this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Hi,

maybe it is not a good Idea to give the letter and go away for some days .... This can be a great mistake because your Mom can´t ask... and you let her alone with her thoughts....
And for me it is a bit like ... "Here .. this you should know ... a bye... and don´t bother me with my problems " Confusedmile:

I'll be back Saturday morning and it'll just be the two of us. I plan on talking to her then. I just don't think I can face her as she reads the letter. I want to give her a couple days to think about it.

bicollegeguy21 Wrote:I'll be back Saturday morning and it'll just be the two of us. I plan on talking to her then. I just don't think I can face her as she reads the letter. I want to give her a couple days to think about it.

I understand your reasons very well Confusedmile: but... the best way is to talk face to face ... Ok ..you decide for the letter ... its a good way, too ... but be fair and let your mom the possibility to react.... maybe give her the letter before you go to bed ... so you both have a night to think.... but you are there if she want to talk..