Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ever bartered to get something you want at a price you want?
Hello all,
So the question is.. Ever bartered over something??? Do you do it regularly If so whatcha got??? With me this morning I got up nice and early at 8.30am as next door slammed their front door for the 1,000,000th time and after getting dogs out went round co op with £6 in 1p coins =).. I spotted the plant department and they had 2 plants I wanted that had expired on 29th March.. I picked them up and round some fat lady with glasses on her hands and knees reducing all the meat and I asked her if she could reduce them to a reasonable offer as they have expired nearly a week or so ago and the soil is hard and the plants are beginning to whelt.. She looked at me with a face like thunder and said I got to ask management I cant just reduce them.. Well management came over and said to me we cant sell those plants they have expired.. I replied.. You what??? Its a plant its not food its not like im gonna eat it I like a challenge and I want these plants to revivie.. Well they still insisted in not selling them and I still insisted i wanted them.. Eventually I got them reduced from £3 to £1.50 each... I thought what a result!!! lol.. I was so chuffed with myself...
Well last week when I went to B&Q (hardware store retailer for non uk residents) I saw a bag of soil opened and spoke to a sales assistant and said any chance in reducing this?? Its got a massive hole in the side with soil missing... After some debates with him and his line manager i got that reduced by 50%.. My greatest achievement was when I bought my car.. It was in the showroom for £5,500 and like hell was i paying that for a second hand car but i wanted it.. I spent an hour with a sales rep and explained I am paying 100% CASH here and now what deals can you do for me?? He said ill reduce it to £5,000.. I replied 5 grand that it??? I will pop back in a while im gonna pop next door to the fiat dealership and see what they can do for a car i like there for the same price... He i think saw commisson go out the window and told me if i didnt go next door and bought the car he would go the extra mile for me and drop it by another £500 plus £25 of fuel and tax paid for with a weeks insurance all for £4,500 as i am a cash paying customer.. Of course he had consulted his manager who said i needed to give them my old banger for free.. I agreed and said ill collect it tomorrow after its been freshed up so i decided to go over a speed bump at 40 MPH ripping out the exhaust and killing the car and dumped it on their fourcort and took my nice new car =)...

What bartering have you done before and wheres it got ya??? It works with everything including Virgin media if u tell them your leaving them lol

Kindest regards

zeon x

lol alex its well worth doing... I tend to do it with expensive items... Like my mortgage My flat was on the market for 110,000 when i viewed it and i offered 100,000 which was rejected and then said id do 103,000 and no more as a 2 bed place ive seen is 108,000 the guy accepted a 7 grand loss...

Kindest regards

zeon...

p.s alex what have u bartered in then???

I agreed and said ill collect it tomorrow after its been freshed up so i decided to go over a speed bump at 40 MPH ripping out the exhaust and killing the car and dumped it on their fourcort and took my nice new car =)...

May I ask why you did that?...I am not sure I understand so if I missed something forgive me but I was thinking if you made the deal with them did they think they were getting a decent car in return?

Sure! All the time with the cat and the computer - not that it does me much good! (With either)

East Wrote: I agreed and said ill collect it tomorrow after its been freshed up so i decided to go over a speed bump at 40 MPH ripping out the exhaust and killing the car and dumped it on their fourcort and took my nice new car =)...

May I ask why you did that?...I am not sure I understand so if I missed something forgive me but I was thinking if you made the deal with them did they think they were getting a decent car in return?

they told me i had to give them my car as well so i couldnt sell it privately so i just trashed it and made sure the repairs came out their pocket as was sold as seen basis lol

zeon Wrote:they told me i had to give them my car as well so i couldnt sell it privately so i just trashed it and made sure the repairs came out their pocket as was sold as seen basis lol

So having struck a deal you did something that was of no conceivable benefit to you but a detriment to the other party in the deal who had come some way to meeting you to make the deal and you consider it a laughing matter?

I wish I could understand, I really do.

Also you're talking about haggling, not bartering. Bartering is trading without money. But what you did here goes further than haggling and moves into dishonesty.

OK then...I guess I did understand...I was hoping I had misunderstood:confused:

Cardigan pretty much summed up my feelings. I think that a level of personal integrity is essential when you barter or even haggle. If you screw someone over like that imagine how much more difficult it will be for the next person who wants to make a deal? Your auto was part of the deal which is fairly standard practice...did you dislike these people?

I think you can't really haggle unless you are at a market or are in a family run shop.
Otherwise you are trying to haggle with someone who's been told by the management to bag the goods and take the money labelled on the goods. Doing otherwise would cost them their jobs.

Though i've never haggled, sooo....:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Certainly not much point haggling in Sainsbury's, but if you want to give it a go here's how you do it,

Cardiganwearer Wrote:So having struck a deal you did something that was of no conceivable benefit to you but a detriment to the other party in the deal who had come some way to meeting you to make the deal and you consider it a laughing matter?

I wish I could understand, I really do.

Also you're talking about haggling, not bartering. Bartering is trading without money. But what you did here goes further than haggling and moves into dishonesty.

My car was a B reg and falling apart so they would have scrapped it... lt might have been dishonest but its a giant retail outlet that in effect has sold me a death trap as ive been experiecing engine failure around the 70 MPH mark which is common on peugeots but because it happens rarely they cant find a diagnostic on it despite me taking ti back