Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It just feels too great
Yesterday, during an event of a organization that I involved at my school. I walked to the stage, and the first 3 words came out from my mouth was "I am gay". (there is a story behind that, but basically, it was an activity to break through bias and stereotype).

I was a great and shaking feeling. My whole body was shaking when I spook these 3 words.
I felt much more of a real person after that. And yes, the audience all clapped their hands:biggrin:

Confusedmile:Self actualization is a healthy and rewarding activity. I am very happy for you. Homosexuals (via media) are constantly presented with propaganda that supports a negetive self image. Bravo for taking your own positive affermation into your own hands.

I know from your petition thread that your school has its share of conservatives, so it's great to read that everyone clapped. Bravo to you Smile

Congrats PP! It must have felt great Smile

Wow, this happens in Texas?? Amazing, so I'm guessing that the media distorts the image of how gay people are treated in Texas, despite the many conservatives who are against gay people.

I'm not sure what you've seen to think something might be distorted, but in general both cities and college towns with younger demographics offer more places to find acceptance than rural towns, even in southern states, but there's still plenty of conservatives with prejudice. Just last week posterpicture posted as such here: http://gayspeak.com/politics-activism/15...lp%5D.html ... but it's definitely an awesome thing that posterpicture did get applause. Things are at least getting better

interesting Wrote:Wow, this happens in Texas?? Amazing, so I'm guessing that the media distorts the image of how gay people are treated in Texas, despite the many conservatives who are against gay people.

The media was not totally wrong. Yes, TX State is homophobic and conservative still.
But it gets better.
What I just told you happened at one of the most homophobic university in this country
(rank 17 in homophobic over 3000 universities, the ones rank above it probably some private religious school ).
I know many people there are very religious and conservative. But like any other kind of "fear", homophobic can be overcome by honesty and knowledge. Most people who are homophobic never know or want to know a member of LGBT in person. But most people in that meeting knew me as a person, they all knew that I am not that freak they saw on TV show or was told at church. I am just a friend, a person who happens to like boys.

I believe that everyone can be accepting regardless of their belief, one of my best female friend told me the another day ( after knowing me gay for almost 4 months and went to a gay club with me): "As a Christian, I still don't approve gay life style, but I can see pass because I love you no matter what."

Update about the resource center: Today 's afternoon there will make the final decision about that registration. It was vetoed last week by the president of student body but the Senate can still override the veto by 2/3 vote. However, it 's like not since public opinion is giving favor to the Resource center and last time they only won by 1 vote Smile

congrats man ^_^ I don't think I could have done that... you should be proud

wow congrulations im very happy for youConfusedmile:

Thanks everyone.
Last (hope so) update about the LGBT resource center: the veto stands!!!! there won't be a cut in funding for the center to build a "traditional and family value" center.!! (At least until next election term).

Thanks!!