Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay rights in YOUR country
I feel very fortunate to live in a country where gay people are given the same rights as straights.Here,gay people can get legally married (not that civil union sham),adopt without discrimatiomm & enjoy the same legal benefits as anyone else.How long as your goverment come in protecting you?

Well, as we are a UK-dependent but independently-governed island, we have been able to regulate our own laws on the subject ... which, rather unsurprisingly, means that very, very little has been done to accommodate equal-rights for homosexuals over here.

The most recent change was the lowering of the age of consent to fall in-line with that of the UK for both hetero- and homosexuals - a move lauded by many, and dissed by an almost equal number.

Homosexuals cannot get married and civil partnerships are not legally recognised insofar as you cannot establish one under local law, although odds are they will be recognised as being valid based on the jurisdiction in which they originated (so those of you that married outside the island would be recognised as a married couple under local law); the possibilities for adoption are slim-to-none for gay couples, and two men living together are regarded at law as mere cohabitees.

There is an employment tribunal to protect the rights of all employees on the island, so if you feel you are being prejudiced because of your sexual preference, then you are at liberty to appeal to the employment tribunal, who will hear your case ...

... their office sits right above the Ann Summers shop in town (no, I'm not joking).

... so yeah - we have a LONG, long way to go ... but we're slowly making progress.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

It's kinda ironical because you'd think that the UK is the epitome of human civilisation & far more open-minded.Only South Africa,Spain,Belgium,Netherlands & Canada recognise same-sex marriages.Only 5!

It is ironic indeed, dont quite remember why Uk has that 'civil partnership' rather gay marriage. I think it was a conflict with the church. Better than nothing i guess and people where very happy about it but thought it wasnt enough.

Anyhow it seems that at least in London where i live people have accepted homosexuality or the majority of them.

I'm not much into polotics, but I've heard that our presedent is against gays, and doesn't support us. He's so funny looking! I swear he looks like a monkey!
Ride

Forget the Castros & Mugabes of this world,Bush has to the worst president ever!My president loves the gays!What about that hotness,Gordon Brown?I just can't imagine having a white president.

I think that, sadly, in politics it's often a case of "let's see which way the wind is blowing" before deciding on any major issue - otherwise there's always the prospect of committing political suicide.

Therefore, when it's fashionable to support a minority group (as homos are over here), then we get all the support we need; when it's not ? As is often the case ? Then we get SQUAT.

I remember having a borderline argument with a girl at work who said that it was irresponsible to lower the age of consent locally for homosexuals, and I just put her in her place by saying that I didn't give a crap what the age was as long as it was the same across the board - otherwise what do we have, if not a society that favours heterosexuals over homosexuals, and PROMOTES the discrimination it purportedly seeks to stamp out ??

She went away with her tail between her legs ... bless her.

I HATE politics.

I LOVE diplomacy though :biggrin:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!

Dan1089 Wrote:Forget the Castros & Mugabes of this world,Bush has to the worst president ever!My president loves the gays!What about that hotness,Gordon Brown?I just can't imagine having a white president.
Is your presedent gay himself?

LOL!NO!I live in a very DEMOCRATIC country where everyone matters.I guess our policies are so open-minded because the State is trying to right the wrongs of apartheid.Apartheid only ended in 1994 here & I think we've come so far already.Hell,maybe I'll even see you in 2010.

here we have civil partnerships only in a province of patagonia and in buenos aires city, which was the first in latin america, and also in the city the legal marriage is being planned.