Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synesthetic Art
I think a lot of people don't know what Synesthesia is. It's basically a cross wiring of your sensory part of the brain where you can experience really cool things.
Color -> Taste
Sound -> Color
Letters -> Color

I have Music -> Color
, and I do a lot of artwork based off of this. Currently it's mainly through photoshop but I have done one with traditional methods, and working on one combining both Traditional and Digital. I hear the song and design what I see.

This is "Too Late" by Dead by Sunrise (digital method)

[Image: persistence_by_timeshifterx-d3enfuz.jpg]

This is "It's Been Awhile" by Staind (Traditional Method) This part of the song starts at 0:45 and ends at .... 1:25 i think.
[Image: synesthetic_staind_by_timeshifterx-d3c8v2r.jpg]

This is "Riptide" by Sick Puppies (Traditional and Digital Method)
[Image: a_quarter_of_drift_by_timeshifterx-d3kpxjo.jpg]
This one is only 1/4 of the actual piece and I just started working on it (this is about 12in x 14in) This section is the voice of the singer. The part of the song is between 1:35 and 2:00 I believe...?

I usually get people thinking I'm crazy, or high when I mention I see colors when I listen to music but....tell me what you think, I can post more if you like Big Grin All my traditional methods use Ink and a Stylus btw.

Well that was a lot more information than i actually wanted, however you have made me into a bit of a fan so cheers.

I read a magazine article on synesthesia a few years ago, it was actually pretty interesting. Smile
Music = Color color is the one i've heard mentioned most commonly.
Oh and that purple/yellow pic at the top is really cool Cool same for the blue/last one

--------------------
I don't have it but a question: I have this thing that flashes lights to music...say in your case you were to see that running, would it wash out the colors/patterns you wound normally see? do you have to be in a otherwize dark room to see them?

--------------------
There another gay-forums website (now gone) that i used to be a member of...was a guy on that who had the Music = Color version (don't know if he made it here but i haven't seen the username)

What forum was it that is now gone, Jay?

It was TheGayForums.com

Very cool! And Sick Puppies are a great group

72jay Wrote:It was TheGayForums.com

That may have been me, I was on there! I have Sound>Colour

i love all three of them i did the same thing on one of my drawings like that
those are really coolConfusedmile:

Thanks all, yes it is a lot to take it lol.

Quote:I don't have it but a question: I have this thing that flashes lights to music...say in your case you were to see that running, would it wash out the colors/patterns you wound normally see? do you have to be in a otherwise dark room to see them?
For the most part no, the only time that really happens with me is if the color is see matches the light, there are sounds I auto associate with a color because I know that's what they should be. And I can see the colors without having it be dark, its really a mental thing where you see it in your head but night in your actual vision (confusing, I know).

Quote:That may have been me, I was on there! I have Sound>Colour
Yay, I'm not alone!

This would be all the colors I see (the far left are strong tones[reds], moving through low tones [blues], and then the high tones [yellows])
[Image: note_spectrum_by_timeshifterx-d3ds6lo.jpg]

Synaesthete86 Wrote:That may have been me, I was on there! I have Sound>Colour
Cool.. Do you also make your own music? I remember that from the other site LOL

Fayt Wrote:For the most part no, the only time that really happens with me is if the color is see matches the light, there are sounds I auto associate with a color because I know that's what they should be. And I can see the colors without having it be dark, its really a mental thing where you see it in your head but night in your actual vision (confusing, I know).
LOL actually not confusing...makes sense to me

Fayt Wrote:This would be all the colors I see (the far left are strong tones[reds], moving through low tones [blues], and then the high tones [yellows])
[Image: note_spectrum_by_timeshifterx-d3ds6lo.jpg]
Have u ever played around on the computer with sound, and generated various individual sound frequencies/tones to see exactly which frequency generates what color? .. that might be kind of a interesting test Smile