Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there more gays theses days?
Or is it just me?

Is it nature saying there are to many people on this planet, like how Crocodilia change their sex when there are to many of one sex.

In my opinion i think the numbers were always the same but people used to conceal it but nowadays more and more people coming out so we think that we are more Wink

you maybe right mate, just something interesting really...

We are just more visible than we used to be. People are much more open about it these days. Even when I was in secondary school (mid-late 80's) it was still very much a taboo subject within my peer group and I was firmly entrenched in my closet. I had my suspicions about some other folk too but it just wasn't talked about and none of us felt comfortable opening that closet door.
Not everyone's experience is the same though.

I think the percentage of gay people compared to the general population is the same but:
1) The actual number has changed as the population has changed
2) More people are able to admit it to themselves as opposed to having been in denial, thanks to many realizating it doesn't mean hell; an increase of seeing examples of gays in media; etc.
3) Among those who realize they are gay, there are more that are out.
4) It used to be just in certain cities (NYC, San Francisco, etc. in U.S., for example) that people would move to in order to feel they felt in, but now there's enough acceptance - as well as ability to connect via technological advances like Internet - that those out gay people are more spread out now.

I blame it on the Chinese and the Indians, those populations (I mean this partly as a joke, btw) who think it's all right to leave out little girls to die naturally, or who abort when they know they're going to have a girl. I think the proportion of men to women in China and India are not very equal with this 'traditional' family planning. No wonder there'll be more gays. How are all these extra males going to find a mate, otherwise?

All 'partial' jokes set aside, I think like jbrowder that there is more visibility... I also think, Sweets, that now that you've accepted that you are gay, your feelers are more atuned, more receptive and perceptive and so your interests are more oriented towards gay things and materials.

I can swear, however, that there has never been such a profusion of information (some good some bad, some true, some untrue) about homosexuality. We were never exposed to as much when I or Marshlander were young. That's how the Internet has changed our worlds.

princealbertofb Wrote:I blame it on the Chinese and the Indians, those populations (I mean this partly as a joke, btw) who think it's all right to leave out little girls to die naturally, or who abort when they know they're going to have a girl. I think the proportion of men to women in China and India are not very equal with this 'traditional' family planning. No wonder there'll be more gays. How are all these extra males going to find a mate, otherwise?

All 'partial' jokes set aside, I think like jbrowder that there is more visibility... I also think, Sweets, that now that you've accepted that you are gay, your feelers are more atuned, more receptive and perceptive and so your interests are more oriented towards gay things and materials.

I can swear, however, that there has never been such a profusion of information (some good some bad, some true, some untrue) about homosexuality. We were never exposed to as much when I or Marshlander were young. That's how the Internet has changed our worlds.

True PA, Ive seen alot of younger people coming out as 'LGBT', guess thats down to info being easy to get on the topic of sexualtiy...

sweetlad2010 Wrote:True PA, Ive seen alot of younger people coming out as 'LGBT', guess thats down to info being easy to get on the topic of sexualtiy...

... and the fact that you are particularly interested in the subject and that you've come to accept that part of you. Having passed that stage, you can now show more open interest in gay romance and gay sex.
For example, I'm not really interested in sports much and certainly even less in football, but that doesn't mean that the information isn't out there (it IS!!!). I'd be very aware of it if I were interested.

princealbertofb Wrote:... and the fact that you are particularly interested in the subject and that you've come to accept that part of you. Having passed that stage, you can now show more open interest in gay romance and gay sex.
For example, I'm not really interested in sports much and certainly even less in football, but that doesn't mean that the information isn't out there (it IS!!!). I'd be very aware of it if I were interested.

I agree I was'nt really ready when I was 17 when I lost my V card to a bastard lol.

I'm still coming to terms with things, and I might have even found someone who might be able to help me through (lol Im smittemed atm but Im more realizic this time)..

I didnt know what gay menant till I was 14 though, as I didnt have the internet at thhe time..

I do think its just because more people are openly out. I feel lucky in a way because from my point of view, the area I grew up in (Cardiff), and the way people are here being gay isn't something to be ashamed of, or hidden, nobody really makes a big deal out of it and it is seen as just another thing.. I do feel I was lucky to be born into the generation I was - As it is a lot easier to be me Rolleyes
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]