Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I may look Southern California, but I prefer a quiet life around a few friends.
I seem to be they guy most people think has the Southern California look, and to a degree I do. It irritates me when people talk down to me because they figure you do not have a brain if you look good. So, I run in a very tight circle of friends, most often people smarter than myself. I have a 47 year old mentor who is more interested verbal jousting than anything else. However, I give it to him and his partner whenever they ask. It's just sex, and my looks are not going to last forever, but friendship can.

My partner and I have been together for three months. We look like brothers. I can tell this one will last. He is on the fast track at 20th Century Fox as a gopher and is a USC grad. We both take career seriously, and seek a stable lifestyle in an unstable city.

Between my partner and my mentor my life is only complete because of my mentor's partner of 26 years. He runs the food service for a major television operation which is often the source of many antics and lots of fun. The four of us really enjoy the beach, and the bars, but we screen a lot movies and television because we have access to what will be coming out next. We are all critics of sorts.

Recently we went to the taping of Real Time with Bill Maher and made it back stage due to our industry contacts. There is still an amazing life to be enjoyed in Southern California if you are willing to WORK for it. And, Bill Maher, a lot better looking in person than on television. You can not tell when he wears a suit, but I do not think he does as much pot as he implies, the man is buff.

Hah, I grew up in So Cal.

Getting the hell out of there was the single best and smartest thing I've ever done.

But I wish you all the luck in the world, there are a lot of (psychic) vampires that live there.

Best wishes and welcome,
Smile

LateBloomer Wrote:Hah, I grew up in So Cal.

Getting the hell out of there was the single best and smartest thing I've ever done.

But I wish you all the luck in the world, there are a lot of (psychic) vampires that live there.

Best wishes and welcome,
Smile

I am sorry to hear that. I grew up in Downey, and absolutely love living in the future compared to the rest of the a nation. I consider myself to be fortunate. But, fortunate does not come without effort as I am sure you know.

WesHollywood Wrote:I am sorry to hear that. I grew up in Downey, and absolutely love living in the future compared to the rest of the a nation. I consider myself to be fortunate. But, fortunate does not come without effort as I am sure you know.

I grew up behind the Orange Curtain, as we used to say.

Smile

Yes, there are lots of opportunities out there for people willing to sacrifice and struggle and pay their dues. But there are also a lot of "users" (the vampires) who know this and will prey on the hard working and dedicated ones exploiting them the whole time.

Not everyone is like that.

But Hollywood is notorious. Just take care of yourself.

LateBloomer Wrote:I grew up behind the Orange Curtain, as we used to say.

Smile

Yes, there are lots of opportunities out there for people willing to sacrifice and struggle and pay their dues. But there are also a lot of "users" (the vampires) who know this and will prey on the hard working and dedicated ones exploiting them the whole time.

Not everyone is like that.

But Hollywood is notorious. Just take care of yourself.

I love it that you mention Hollywood. People think of Hollywood as glamor, but as you know it is a slum with con artists, tattoo parlors, hustlers, pimps and prostitutes. This is not the place you want to be if you are looking to build a life. However, apartments are reasonable.

A fellow I work with just got a studio up off Franklin for $700 a month. That is an easy drive to work almost anywhere. The life on quiet back streets is a lot different than the noise of Hollywood Blvd itself.

West Hollywood is high income GLBT. I would suggest avoiding that. Besides there is a great bus line on Santa Monica Blvd. that connects Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, so you really do not need a car to get to around.

You are quite right about watching yourself for being used. Thank God I lived out here all my life. I know the pitfalls, but for someone like my partner from Galveston, Texas they would eat him alive if he did not have family out here, and me to keep him on track.

Let me summarize to anyone who wants to come out here, and does not know the turf. Every month thousands of prom kings and queens all come out here looking for the big break in movies of television. Most of them end up as prostitutes and then head back home. The people who become movie and television stars are usually from families within the industry. A lot of dreams are trashed in this city, stay out unless you know the ropes from the inside. I am told New York is worse.

WesHollywood Wrote:I love it that you mention Hollywood. People think of Hollywood as glamor, but as you know it is a slum with con artists, tattoo parlors, hustlers, pimps and prostitutes. This is not the place you want to be if you are looking to build a life. However, apartments are reasonable.

A fellow I work with just got a studio up off Franklin for $700 a month. That is an easy drive to work almost anywhere. The life on quiet back streets is a lot different than the noise of Hollywood Blvd itself.

West Hollywood is high income GLBT. I would suggest avoiding that. Besides there is a great bus line on Santa Monica Blvd. that connects Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, so you really do not need a car to get to around.

You are quite right about watching yourself for being used. Thank God I lived out here all my life. I know the pitfalls, but for someone like my partner from Galveston, Texas they would eat him alive if he did not have family out here, and me to keep him on track.

Let me summarize to anyone who wants to come out here, and does not know the turf. Every month thousands of prom kings and queens all come out here looking for the big break in movies of television. Most of them end up as prostitutes and then head back home. The people who become movie and television stars are usually from families within the industry. A lot of dreams are trashed in this city, stay out unless you know the ropes from the inside. I am told New York is worse.

You sound pretty level headed for an Angelino.

Smile

Looking forward to your contributions here.

LateBloomer Wrote:You sound pretty level headed for an Angelino.

Smile

Looking forward to your contributions here.

Thank you likewise. I think the chaos of the gay world has been more easily sorted out because of understanding parents, friends I kept after coming out, a worthy partner, and a mentor to keep me on track. I am fortunate, and I appreciate it.

I look forward to enjoyable exchanges.

Backstabbing vampires van be everywhere, why i despite my hometown so much Sad I always though that Hollywood although was rather glamorous but it sounds more and more like Chirstiania. Although i like Christiania it describes pretty much what you just said.

You are blond and young, so I am typing this slowly so you can read it. :biggrin:

My partner and I are similar enough in looks that many confuse us to be brothers (siblings) as well. it does have its advantages especially living in a rural, conservative community where people tend to not cotton to 'those kinds of people'.

Its is also much better to be underestimated than over estimated. It gives you an advantage over those people you must deal with, and also gives you a way to judge if a person is really your friend or just one more acquaintance on the super highway of life.

As time progresses you will most likely find that 'friends' and real friends are two different things, thus you have a mix blessing working mostly to you advantage.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:You are blond and young, so I am typing this slowly so you can read it. :biggrin:

My partner and I are similar enough in looks that many confuse us to be brothers (siblings) as well. it does have its advantages especially living in a rural, conservative community where people tend to not cotton to 'those kinds of people'.

Its is also much better to be underestimated than over estimated. It gives you an advantage over those people you must deal with, and also gives you a way to judge if a person is really your friend or just one more acquaintance on the super highway of life.

As time progresses you will most likely find that 'friends' and real friends are two different things, thus you have a mix blessing working mostly to you advantage.

Thanks of protecting an inaccurate stereotype by typing slowly. Is the pic you chose as avatar an accurate depiction of yourself - nothing?