Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay books
Hi,
Can anyone recommend a good gay book?

I can recommend 21:30 Old Compton Fair Blue 6 Feet”
Author: Marco Villa”
ISBN 1467000353 or 978-1467000352
It’s a really sweet story of a gay guy looking for real love and eventually finding it. It’s a light and yet intensive book like Uhlman’s ”Reunion”. There is everything from travel adventures in Europe, America, Middle East, Africa, Asia to love stories, from dating, to friendship. It is set in the late nineties to our days and outlined by the historical events we all know and their influence in the main character. Definitely recommended. Inside pictures are also nice.
It can be found in Amazon, WHsmith, Borders etc...

IMO, Mercedes Lackey did some good books with gay and bisexual characters (though I'm not that much of a fan of her works). While some are urban fantasy, I think the very best one with a gay character (epic in its telling) was The Last Herald Mage trilogy starting with Magic's Promise. A gay man in a fantasy world of myth and magic endures a homophobic family and can't admit his own homosexuality for a long while (it was so well done that I was actually surprised when I found out he really was gay as his father had suspected).

But it's tragic and depressing at times, and as the author described what she was trying to do as, "Drop a mountain on them. Recover them, make them happy again. Then drop another mountain on them." Her writing style tends to appeal to women more than men, or so it seems to me (though there are straight men who love her far more than I do), so I don't know how it would be received by gay men. But as far as I know it's the first time a gay man was made into an epic hero rather than amusing sidekick (assuming they were a good guy at all).

Thanks so much for the tips!

I tried reading books but got no where i havent attention span for it... I will see mymate in a few days and report back he reads all gay books u can think of right back to 1960's

One of the first novels I read with a gay story line is a novel called 'Holding The Man' by Timothy Conigrave, an Australian author. The novel is a best selling memoir and was later made into a successful stage production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holding_the_Man

Another good novel 'Mysterious Skin' and then there are the Augusten Burroughs novels 'Running With Scissors' and 'Dry'

None of the novels are gay romance, they are all memoirs, real life, because life isn't a romance, romance just happens as part of life.

I have a gay canon around somewhere on this site with my usual list, I'll probably miss some knocking this out quickly:

Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray
E.M. Forster - Maurice
Radlyffe Hall - The Well of Loneliness
Gertrude Stein - Q.E.D.
Yukio Mishima - Story of the Mask
Christopher Isherwood - Berlin Stories, A Single Man
James Baldwin - Giovanni's Room
Edmund White - Nocturnes for the King of Naples, A Boy's Own Story
Andrew Holleran - Dancer from the Dance
Larry Kramer - Faggots
Leslie Feinberg - Stone Butch Blues
Alison Bechdel - Fun Home

may i suggest the twilight saga, it's very gay from what i can tell and it's extremely popular so it cant be that bad :biggrin:

I HIGHLY recommend Rainbow boys trilogy by Alex Sanchez. Such a great read. I had a mild panic attack when I finished the first one and never had the second and third; I never act that way for a book.

Someone has written up a list of the "Best" 100 Gay Books and posted it on the internet. I have read many of the books, and can say that it is a decent list. You can find it here:

http://www.publishingtriangle.org/100best.asp

i dont read fiction but
a book as a pdf is a small file. you can get 50,000 books in a zip file.
use a app like calibre to convert a single pdf file to the kindle format
kindle's have associated emails
have to approve the senders email for the kindle to accept it
email any 1 of 50,000 converted book to the kindle