Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 Fascinating ways that sugar makes you fat..............
ugly, stupid ... and dead

http://greatist.com/eat/reasons-to-cut-b...new_header
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

What's even scarier is that a lot of people get the truckload of sugar via energy drinks that are filled with caffeine and other stimulants...

I do occasionally splurge with sweet stuff...but I did myself a huge favor not having soda... I mean it was normal to have 2-3 cans or more a day...at 38 grams of sugar per can certainly make a huge difference. A week of hell followed quitting but definitely feel much better as a result. Been 7 months I think...roughly.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Axle, you are certainly right about the sodas. What this article is really about is added, refined sugars. Note that the first recipe in the sidebar is for muffins which are loaded with fruit. The sugar is still there. The only reason that it is slightly better in that form is that there is fiber involved to slow absorption of the sugars in fruit. Best to keep an eye on less refined sources also,as any diabetic can tell you. by the way, the muffins also call for milk, a high carbohydrate ingredient. Sugar is everywhere!
I bid NO Trump!

Sugar is indeed everywhere and everything for the most part becomes sugar.... So the question is how much sugar and how quickly it gets into your bloodstream and the insulin response your body has.

Not to digress but I went to the dentist not too long ago and the first time you go to a new doctor you fill out all the paperwork and family history. Well both my parents have diabetes. So likewise the dentist is lecturing me about being checked for diabetes and getting my A1C checked. What was interesting though was I was telling him about me trying to lose weight, doing a triathlon this summer and so on his response was you know that you have to "carb up" for those and saying that was bad. Now I'm baffled... I get that doing some exercise alone isn't a get out of jail free card for anything but I thought exercising, eating better and so on was suppose to reduce your risks for all these health problems (diabetes, heart disease, etc). So I do a lot of research and to my surprise I wasn't all too successful at finding a definitive answer on whether an athlete is still at a significant risk of developing diabetes. On the other hand people who are obese and lose weight, losing 1 gram of fat in the pancreas can improve beta cell function...sooo the jury is still out I suppose... Unless someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject chimes in because I couldn't really make heads or tails, that or there just isn't any correlation whether someone who stays fit is at any more risk than someone else. I will say my parents, didn't exercise and don't eat right and won't eat right. Oh they'll eat salad after dumping a bunch of ranch on it...ruined lol.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], you are perfectly in line if you are confused about diabetes. My beloved GP once told me that "Diabetes is very complicated. If you understand diabetes, you understand medicne." In other words, 'tain't no simple thing. Your dentist is right that you should be checked and be aware. However, good diet and regular exercise are great ways to lower your chances of developing diabetes. "Lower our chances" is really the phrase that you will see most often. No one has a proven preventive for the disease. You really need a good sports doctor to advise about carb loading for athletics. As for normal life, if I were you I would have a good talk with your GP and perhaps do a little monitoring of your blood sugar, but that means you will need some education about reading the results. An A1c is a simple finger prick and gives you your average level over the last three months. It is a very valuable guide. At any rate, keep riding that bike and going easy on the salad dressing. That is good practice for us all!
I bid NO Trump!

axle2152 Wrote:. A week of hell followed quitting but definitely feel much better as a result. Been 7 months I think...roughly.

Congratulations, a very wise choice.

A few years back I was unhappy with my weight. I cut out snacking and sugary drinks. I was already in a job I could walk to and spent most of my time on my feet at work. In 2 months I lost 30lbs roughly and felt great even though I was still overweight.

Since being with my partner we've both unlocked our inner fat kids and put on even more weight due to going back to old eating habits. We've now challenged each other to lose weight and see who loses the most by the end of the year by using different methods. He will go to the gym a few times a week and I'll do what I did a few years back, we just need to discipline ourselves to make it work.

CorsacReborn Wrote:Since being with my partner we've both unlocked our inner fat kids and put on even more weight due to going back to old eating habits. We've now challenged each other to lose weight and see who loses the most by the end of the year by using different methods. He will go to the gym a few times a week and I'll do what I did a few years back, we just need to discipline ourselves to make it work.

Good for both of you. Let us know how things go.

CorsacReborn Wrote:A few years back I was unhappy with my weight. I cut out snacking and sugary drinks. I was already in a job I could walk to and spent most of my time on my feet at work. In 2 months I lost 30lbs roughly and felt great even though I was still overweight.

Since being with my partner we've both unlocked our inner fat kids and put on even more weight due to going back to old eating habits. We've now challenged each other to lose weight and see who loses the most by the end of the year by using different methods. He will go to the gym a few times a week and I'll do what I did a few years back, we just need to discipline ourselves to make it work.

If only I could give up chocolate lol

If you're stringent enough with diet, that will usually fair better than exercise alone. However, if you can pull it off doing both is even more effective and yields the best results for your overall health.

The best exercise is when it is something you enjoy or might not think of as being exercise. but really is...same thing with diets. I think that any diet should consists of foods you enjoy eating but still healthy, higher in fiber, less sugar and carbs.
Check out my stuff!

LONDONER Wrote:Good for both of you. Let us know how things go.

Will do, I plan to win this.
axle2152 Wrote:If only I could give up chocolate lol

If you're stringent enough with diet, that will usually fair better than exercise alone. However, if you can pull it off doing both is even more effective and yields the best results for your overall health.

The best exercise is when it is something you enjoy or might not think of as being exercise. but really is...same thing with diets. I think that any diet should consists of foods you enjoy eating but still healthy, higher in fiber, less sugar and carbs.

It is easier to give things up then you think, I've been removing and switching out high sugar foods and trying to stick to just 3 good meals a day. Before I was just endlessly fridge raiding for things like chocolate and I would normally buy packs of sweets, if I had a day where I felt down my partner has bought me sweets to cheer me up despite me saying no.

One of the reasons I became so big is I do not much in the way of exercise, the most I really do is walking the dog twice a day. I tried going into the gym several years back and felt massively overwhelmed by the amount of fit guys there who were basically parading themselves around and I felt like people watched me because of my size. I've never been a sporty person either But always enjoyed sports which involved bats and rackets back in the days when I was at school

Sometimes on the weekend we might go to a lake or local forest and take a good walk around just to get us both out, we do this so that we can save our money for other things like comedy gigs (4 planned this year so far) and other events. Cutting out the sugary stuff may even help that. My partner is usually the one who initiates eating out And getting takeaways, I could easily give them up and do more home cooking but he likes to "treat" himself.