Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20 Fascinating ways that sugar makes you fat..............
fat and carbohydrates are isomers, so they are convertible forms of each other ..

CorsacReborn Wrote:It is easier to give things up then you think, I've been removing and switching out high sugar foods and trying to stick to just 3 good meals a day. Before I was just endlessly fridge raiding for things like chocolate and I would normally buy packs of sweets, if I had a day where I felt down my partner has bought me sweets to cheer me up despite me saying no.

Yes and no. Sugar is addictive, which is why we go for the sweets, well most of us anyway. It really does boil down to will power and how willing you are to make the change and deal with the withdrawal effects. Me, if I were to live alone chances are I would eat less stuff, since I still live with my folks who eat pretty much I am more prone to "cheating" and it does make losing weight harder when there are snacks around or when they decide to randomly bake a cake or something. Yes they really do that, I get it if it is someone's birthday, a cook out or whatever, but just out of the blue. Ugh -- I could go on.

Monkey see, monkey do... Mdance2

Now considering that I have been pretty good about not splurging. I am also a former smoker who lives with someone who smokes, that used to be a challenge too. So the point is that it can be easier for some to give up things, especially if you refrain from putting yourself around the things that you're trying to quit. Not being around smokers was a big deal when I first quit and time to time I get that small urge but I know damn good and well that isn't what I want to do.

It's slow going, now down a total of 40 lbs...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Diet and excersize has made me in the best shape in my life at this time. A week or so ago someone came to deliver something at the door and the person thought i was my fiances son. My fiance is one year older than me. My fiance had a beard. I had shaved mine recently. A couple years ago i was buying wine for dinner and was asked for id. I am 49.

I had a can of soda a month or so ago for the first time in 10 years probably. Just one. I used to eat very very unhealthy over 20 years ago.

Yes, yes, hardly anyone knows anything about basic metabolism, big surprise *rolls eyes*

But, the more people gets the message and stays away from excess of sugars and overall carbohydrates, then it might not be necessary that they do.

No, woodsie my boy, isomers are molecules with the exact same atoms arranged in different structures (leucine and isoleucine, glucose and fructose, etc). Sugars are not the same as lipids, not by any means.

What you mean to say is something else and I take the time to say this so people don't fall for your mistaken statement.

There are metabolic pathways that breakdown/synthesize glucose (and other carbohydrates) and pathways that breakdown/synthesize lipids (fat, people, fat) that share a common intermediary in Acetyl-CoA.

Complex carbohydrates are hydrolized to monosaccharides such as glucose (6 carbons) which is then broken down to 3 Acetyl-CoA (2 carbons) by Glycolysis. That molecule futher undergoes catabolic oxidative reactions in the Tricarboxilic acid cycle, that produce NADH, which along with that produced in glycolisis, is transported to the mitochondria to produce energy in the form of ATP.

But, Acetyl-CoA is also the end product of Beta-oxidation of fatty acids. Fatty acids can have 16, 18, 20, 22 carbons in length so they can produce 8, 10, etc Acetyl-CoA. A single tryglicerid molecule packs 3 of these fatty acids, so any one tryglicerid molecule has a far greater output of energy than any one monosaccharid molecule.

That is why fat is used in animal organisms as an efficient energy storage, when there is food surplus.
An intake of carbohydrate and sugars that surpasses the energy needs of the organism, will cause that excess of energy to be stored as fat: on a molecular level, the Acetyl-CoA, being in excess output from Glycolysis, will be used to synthesize fatty acids.

That process, which is a simple mechanism of homeostasis and the Le Chartelier principle that reactions follow, (the more reagents you put, the more product you will get until the reaction reaches equilibrium), is also controlled and regulated hormonally by Insulin. When there is a high concentration of blood glucose, insulin is produced and released and upon reaching its specific Tyrosine Kinase receptor in target cells it will promote the intake of glucose by releasing the GLUT-4 glucose transporter and in adipose tissue it will induce the gene expression of enzyme related to tryglicerid synthesis.

That way, excess in carbohydrates ans sugars translates into a turnover to fat, mediated by Insulin
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

It has always been indicated that it isn't easy to tap into your fat storage. So if someone is averaging a 500 calorie deficit for 30 days (15,000 Cal) does this mean the person will lose 4 1/4 lbs (1.92 Kg) at 3,500 calories per lb? I'm sure there's variance in that figure but let's assume.

My understanding is that energy is burned from other sources....but those sources have to be replenished by some means. Either by the food you eat or by glycogen from your liver, fat tissue, etc.

I've lost close to 9 lbs since March and would sort of put me in the ballpark of things and not have followed a super strict diet. (I say close because I could have been slightly dehydrated or have simply had less food in my system... I try to weight myself under the same conditions because of course I'm going to be lighter if I sweat a ton from running 7 miles).
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Insertnamehere Wrote:Yes, yes, hardly anyone knows anything about basic metabolism, big surprise *rolls eyes*

But, the more people gets the message and stays away from excess of sugars and overall carbohydrates, then it might not be necessary that they do.

No, woodsie my boy, isomers are molecules with the exact same atoms arranged in different structures (leucine and isoleucine, glucose and fructose, etc). Sugars are not the same as lipids, not by any means.

What you mean to say is something else and I take the time to say this so people don't fall for your mistaken statement.

There are metabolic pathways that breakdown/synthesize glucose (and other carbohydrates) and pathways that breakdown/synthesize lipids (fat, people, fat) that share a common intermediary in Acetyl-CoA.

Complex carbohydrates are hydrolized to monosaccharides such as glucose (6 carbons) which is then broken down to 3 Acetyl-CoA (2 carbons) by Glycolysis. That molecule futher undergoes catabolic oxidative reactions in the Tricarboxilic acid cycle, that produce NADH, which along with that produced in glycolisis, is transported to the mitochondria to produce energy in the form of ATP.

But, Acetyl-CoA is also the end product of Beta-oxidation of fatty acids. Fatty acids can have 16, 18, 20, 22 carbons in length so they can produce 8, 10, etc Acetyl-CoA. A single tryglicerid molecule packs 3 of these fatty acids, so any one tryglicerid molecule has a far greater output of energy than any one monosaccharid molecule.

That is why fat is used in animal organisms as an efficient energy storage, when there is food surplus.
An intake of carbohydrate and sugars that surpasses the energy needs of the organism, will cause that excess of energy to be stored as fat: on a molecular level, the Acetyl-CoA, being in excess output from Glycolysis, will be used to synthesize fatty acids.

That process, which is a simple mechanism of homeostasis and the Le Chartelier principle that reactions follow, (the more reagents you put, the more product you will get until the reaction reaches equilibrium), is also controlled and regulated hormonally by Insulin. When there is a high concentration of blood glucose, insulin is produced and released and upon reaching its specific Tyrosine Kinase receptor in target cells it will promote the intake of glucose by releasing the GLUT-4 glucose transporter and in adipose tissue it will induce the gene expression of enzyme related to tryglicerid synthesis.

That way, excess in carbohydrates ans sugars translates into a turnover to fat, mediated by Insulin

or should i say .. empiricals of each other ..

caloric value

fat - 9
carbs - 4
prot - 4

1 kg of fat = 7700 cal

caloric value:

fat - 9 cal/gram
carbs - 4 cal/gram
prot - 4 cal/gram

knickerbuck Wrote:1 kg of fat = 7700 cal

That doesn't sounds nasty to hear its that much,

yep apparently ..but this is body fat or adipose tissue, so it's not pure fat ..