Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A horrible night.
I'm not sure where to put this topic. I feel compelled to share this as I'm quite shocked.
Tuesday night I went to my local gay bar for the karaoke evening, which I go to every week. After it had finished about 10 of us decided we would go on to walkabout bar as it was open till 3. Now I go to straight bars all the time and don't have a problem, that said I don't generally go with a group of gay boys and girls, I go with work mates. I could not believe how openly homophobic the people in there were. I'm not feminine or camp in the slightest, this is probably why I never have problems, but 2 or 3 of my close friends are. There was a group of guys dressed in army gear, these were the worst, 1 guy even got aggressive in the toilets with one of us. I have never felt so on edge in a bar, it was horrendous. We were only in there an hour, it was just to uncomfortable.
I was really really shocked by it, especially the way young girls in there were. I wouldn't have had a problem on my own. It's opened my eyes.

Hey Billy,

I am sorry you had a crap night........

I went to CRC/Manhatttans in Wolverhampton last month....... Nice club, bit quiet though, mind you it was a Thursday.

Thing is I think these suburbs can be a little more scary and not as liberal than the major cities, I mean you have Brum just down the road (well kinda) and I feel more safe in Birmingham than I would in say in Wolves or Walsall.

Some guys and even the girls just don't like camp guys, I'm a gay guy and I don't like camp guys, well over the top camp.....

I am sorry you had a shite night

[Image: grouphug.gif]

It sounds like a damaging experience. I hope that somehow you get some strength from it, Billy.

I've never been in such a situation, but I can imagine how uncomfortable it made you feel. The worst I've had was busybody women in France and Switzerland deciding that Albert and I shouldn't be dancing together and a stunned silence when I stepped in to stop the same thing happening to another couple of men at a public ceilidh in Norwich for which my band was playing.

Star Twister Wrote:Hey Billy,

I am sorry you had a crap night........

I went to CRC/Manhatttans in Wolverhampton last month....... Nice club, bit quiet though, mind you it was a Thursday.

Thing is I think these suburbs can be a little more scary and not as liberal than the major cities, I mean you have Brum just down the road (well kinda) and I feel more safe in Birmingham than I would in say in Wolves or Walsall.

Some guys and even the girls just don't like camp guys, I'm a gay guy and I don't like camp guys, well over the top camp.....

I am sorry you had a shite night

[Image: grouphug.gif]

It is really funny you should say this, Jamie, as your line of work seems to involve the VERY VERY camp. I suppose you mean camp in Real Life situations not stage shows??

Billy Wrote:I'm not sure where to put this topic. I feel compelled to share this as I'm quite shocked.
Tuesday night I went to my local gay bar for the karaoke evening, which I go to every week. After it had finished about 10 of us decided we would go on to walkabout bar as it was open till 3. Now I go to straight bars all the time and don't have a problem, that said I don't generally go with a group of gay boys and girls, I go with work mates. I could not believe how openly homophobic the people in there were. I'm not feminine or camp in the slightest, this is probably why I never have problems, but 2 or 3 of my close friends are. There was a group of guys dressed in army gear, these were the worst, 1 guy even got aggressive in the toilets with one of us. I have never felt so on edge in a bar, it was horrendous. We were only in there an hour, it was just to uncomfortable.
I was really really shocked by it, especially the way young girls in there were. I wouldn't have had a problem on my own. It's opened my eyes.

Yes, Billy, it's just such a shame that we can't just live and let live and be together as one happy family. But, as you said, it's opened your eyes and now it's better to be safe than sorry. A good thing nothing violent happened even if there was palpable tension in the air... At least, I hope nobody got hurt. Did they?
Better luck next time,
Choose another bar to patronise.
PA

marshlander Wrote:It sounds like a damaging experience. I hope that somehow you get some strength from it, Billy.

I've never been in such a situation, but I can imagine how uncomfortable it made you feel. The worst I've had was busybody women in France and Switzerland deciding that Albert and I shouldn't be dancing together and a stunned silence when I stepped in to stop the same thing happening to another couple of men at a public ceilidh in Norwich for which my band was playing.

BRAVO, my man. Well done for letting those two men dance together. Mentalities have to start changing SOMEWHERE. They weren't doing anyone any harm by wanting to dance together. Men dance together all the time in other countries such as Greece, Turkey and most middle eastern countries (they've GOT to, they can't dance with the women). Maybe we could learn from them, at least that.

princealbertofb Wrote:It is really funny you should say this, Jamie, as your line of work seems to involve the VERY VERY camp. I suppose you mean camp in Real Life situations not stage shows??

If I'm out in a predominantly straight environment I do change my attitude and butch it up slightly

Star Twister Wrote:If I'm out in a predominantly straight environment I do change my attitude and butch it up slightly

LOL that makes me very merry, Jamie...
hehehe
RainoteRainoteRainoteRainoteRainoteRainoteRainoteRainote

[Image: hug.gif]