Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new dream thread.
Years ago I used to participate on another web board with a couple members who were interested in dream interpretation.

I see some older "locked" threads on dreams here at GS so I thought I'd open up another and hopefully there might be enough interest here to keep it alive.

About me and dreams: I've always been a pretty active dreamer, but never really got interested in it until my college years when I took a creative writing class and the instructor introduced the idea of using our dreams for material. It was in that class that I first learned of the concept of the so called "shadow self". In other words a stranger that appears in your dream, someone that you interact with, but when "analyzed" later turns out to be YOURSELF.

I was totally fascinated by this idea.

Over the years, I've done some reading of Carl Jung and his ideas on mythology, metaphors, archetypes and symbolism. This is basically how I approach my own dream interpretation. I don't think dreams are just random meaningless thoughts. Nor do I believe there is anything mystical or magical about dreaming.

I buy into Jung's idea of the "collective unconscious" and the idea that the entire human experience has a common thread that runs through it, no matter what our culture.

I don't want to write a book here, but I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in sharing their dreams and/or collaborating with me here on their interpretation.

As I said, I *do* shy away from mystical interpretations. I prefer to "translate" symbols instead but I'm also VERY sensitive to the fact that I should not "import" my own meanings into the symbols displayed in others dreams.

For example, since I believe dreams shouldn't be taken literally, but metaphorically, I acknowledge one symbol (say, a fish) will have a different significance for me than it does for you. I want to find out what it means for YOU (and thereby enhance my interpretation of my own dreams). My usual technique is to simply ask you questions about the "scene" of your dream. It's amazing how much you remember when prompted--either by another person or by the act of putting pencil to paper and writing out the dream as it happened.

I have a couple books at home that I use to help me find the *historical* significance of certain symbols and since I travel a lot for work I'm often away from my books, but nevertheless I hope we can explore a little here in this thread while I'm home and traveling.

Scatter

sounds intresting, i will be sure to recount the dream i have tonight on this thread tommorrow. i have many nightmares and many "gray" dreams. so perhaps some intrepretation would help me move on with my life.

ManicLewis21 Wrote:sounds intresting, i will be sure to recount the dream i have tonight on this thread tommorrow. i have many nightmares and many "gray" dreams. so perhaps some intrepretation would help me move on with my life.

Thanks for the response.

I'll look forward to what you'd like to share.

By "gray" dreams, you mean "black and white"--not in color?

lol i mean as in lacking emotion and everyone has a straight face and is very melodramatic. i think my dreams are the darkest place inside of me, so i wont recall the horrible stuff i see, ill just post bits and peices.

ManicLewis21 Wrote:lol i mean as in lacking emotion and everyone has a straight face and is very melodramatic. i think my dreams are the darkest place inside of me, so i wont recall the horrible stuff i see, ill just post bits and peices.

And you?

Do you lack emotion in your dream with a "straight" face? Or is it everyone else?

I often dream dreams that are also ''Gray'' if you say. A dream that often keeps popping up in my head is a very odd dream... ''I sit on a chair, that is placed at the highest of all mountain tops in the world, and that mountain appears to be placed where Downtown is in my city, so the rest of the city is surrounded. I can not get of the mountain or neither try to. I just sit happily up there with a bowl of Cereals and milk and eats it till i wake up.''.... Since it has popped into my head many times have i started to wonder why i dream it, and i can't ever find a good answer, but why does it repeat....

i never remember my dreams...im sure theres a meaning behind that

Aester Wrote:I often dream dreams that are also ''Gray'' if you say. A dream that often keeps popping up in my head is a very odd dream... ''I sit on a chair, that is placed at the highest of all mountain tops in the world, and that mountain appears to be placed where Downtown is in my city, so the rest of the city is surrounded. I can not get of the mountain or neither try to. I just sit happily up there with a bowl of Cereals and milk and eats it till i wake up.''.... Since it has popped into my head many times have i started to wonder why i dream it, and i can't ever find a good answer, but why does it repeat....

Generally the experts say the reason why we have "repeat dreams" is because our unconscious mind is working on a problem it hasn't resolved yet. When you finally resolve the problem then you'll stop having this dream.

But I love the symbology in this dream. It's very centralized and elevated and you are on top. Happy.

Smile

Can you share more of the setting?
Type of chair?
Who put it there?
How do you get there?
What time of day? Morning? Evening?
Weather? Sunny? Cloudy?
What do you observe besides the city itself?
Anyone else there?

red06sc Wrote:i never remember my dreams...im sure theres a meaning behind that

Never? Can you remember one or two from childhood?

Some people are just more tuned in this way. It takes some practice to "raise your antenna". Journals work well; and meditation. If you can tap into your dreams they can provide a good source of feedback about your daily life. If you have any interest you can start today.

There are very few dreams that i can remember, but most mornings i can recall that i had one or more that night, usually every night. But upon waking the memories of the content usually vanish within seconds. What could i do to hold onto it? I'd be interested in sharing if i could remember them.