Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A streetlight that can detect floods and prevent disease
Sounds impossible and too good to be true but.....

http://www.goodnet.org/articles/streetli...t-disease#
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

That's really awesome. Stuff like street lights are a necessary part of a city or towns infrastructure, and since you're going to need them anyway, it's a great idea to have them serve secondary purposes too. Especially when it comes to public health and safety.

LED street lights in general though, I get why they are desirable. But at the same time they are sort of unpleasant. NYC is in the process of replacing all of our older street lamps with LED and the different color and intensity has some people really upset.

But the Malaysian example's benefits seem to drastically outweigh the negatives.

Emiliano Wrote:LED street lights in general though, I get why they are desirable. But at the same time they are sort of unpleasant. NYC is in the process of replacing all of our older street lamps with LED and the different color and intensity has some people really upset.

But the Malaysian example's benefits seem to drastically outweigh the negatives.

A similar thing is happening here, the lights are gradually being replaced by LED lights. There have been complaints about them however and I can see why - they are very bright and if you are standing underneath/near one and happen to look up it does hurt the eyes. I live on a new estate, and with more houses having gone up behind mine, they have put one of these LED lamps across the road opposite my bedroom window. As a consequence, I no longer have a dark room to sleep in. Much prefered the softer, yellow lights. If they could just turn the brightness down a bit I think there wouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, I digress. These Malaysian streetlights seem really practical and are a great idea that I hope catches on elsewhere.

Cridders88 Wrote:A similar thing is happening here, the lights are gradually being replaced by LED lights. There have been complaints about them however and I can see why - they are very bright and if you are standing underneath/near one and happen to look up it does hurt the eyes. I live on a new estate, and with more houses having gone up behind mine, they have put one of these LED lamps across the road opposite my bedroom window. As a consequence, I no longer have a dark room to sleep in. Much prefered the softer, yellow lights. If they could just turn the brightness down a bit I think there wouldn't be a problem.

But yeah, I digress. These Malaysian streetlights seem really practical and are a great idea that I hope catches on elsewhere.

Surely if they are too bright it's wouldn't be beyond technology to remove some of the LEDS. That said, they use a great deal less power so are better for the environment I think. What they do to the nocturnal habits of wildlife I have no idea.

Cridders88 Wrote:A similar thing is happening here, the lights are gradually being replaced by LED lights. There have been complaints about them however and I can see why - they are very bright and if you are standing underneath/near one and happen to look up it does hurt the eyes. I live on a new estate, and with more houses having gone up behind mine, they have put one of these LED lamps across the road opposite my bedroom window. As a consequence, I no longer have a dark room to sleep in. Much prefered the softer, yellow lights. If they could just turn the brightness down a bit I think there wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, something about LED lights are migraine triggers for me. They are way too bright.

LONDONER Wrote:What they do to the nocturnal habits of wildlife I have no idea.

What I remember reading about LED lights, is that they mimic daylight - thats why they are so disruptive to people's sleep cycle. The older, yellowy lights mimic dusk/dawn, which is why they are so much less disruptive.

So your question has got me thinking now too what effects they might have on wildlife in the area.

Emiliano Wrote:What I remember reading about LED lights, is that they mimic daylight - thats why they are so disruptive to people's sleep cycle. The older, yellowy lights mimic dusk/dawn, which is why they are so much less disruptive.

So your question has got me thinking now too what effects they might have on wildlife in the area.

That doesn't suprise me at all. I have shutters to my bedroom windows that block out 98% of the light so I sleep in vitual darkness. I am in London at the moment and living with my friend and she doesn't even have blackout lining to her curtains so no wonder I am sleeping so badly.

I think the way toward more tolerable lighting with new technology is for consumers to have their say until the engineers and vendors adapt. Light pollution is a serious matter and we surely have the means to make new and efficient lighting that will take it into account.
I bid NO Trump!

Emiliano Wrote:Yeah, something about LED lights are migraine triggers for me. They are way too bright.

Yeah the sun tends to do that to me, the fucker.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[QUOTE=Emiliano;647695The older, yellowy lights mimic dusk/dawn, which is why they are so much less disruptive.
[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps mimic a campfire, since we evolved with fire at night for cooking and safety.

Since I'm colorblind, those old orange sodium vapor lights greatly interfere with my ability to read traffic lights. I have little idea which color traffic light is illuminated. Scary. I haven't seen what LEDs do to me yet.