Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AS. Aspergers Syndrome
marshlander Wrote:He does not communicate well, he is obsessed with talking about the news and his dog ... are you sure he might not understand more about AS than you give him credit for, Curt? Wink

I had to read this a few times just so i know what exactly you were getting at. Im ever exagerating a little bit he talks about other stuff too but like when we have some what of a serious talk then he doesnt really say much but things are improving. LOL i should bug him about it im sure hell poke a little fun my way when i tell him.

curt-88 Wrote:... LOL i should bug him about it im sure hell poke a little fun my way when i tell him.
Xyxthumbs

lol I think i get bored alot easier now then i normally do .

[COLOR="Purple"]Hey curt. Best of luck with it all.

If you dont mind, could I ask, exactly how you were diagnosed? Exactly how do you think AS has manifested itself in you?

I hope this doesnt come across in a way I dont mean... but being a bit older than yourself I have had a few more experiences and a few things you wrote brought me back to a couple of my own experiences with the medical field.

A Jr.Hg. friend of mine has a son a bit older than you who has been diagnosed with autism from an early age. She said that as many doctors they see are that many different opinions. In the end her son went to a very good school, pushed himself to get good grades and was hired for a well paying job.

In my third year of uni I came down with something. I had all these symptoms but the docs couldnt put their finger on it with any blood test. My gf suggested it could be psychological so I went to the school psych. After talking to her for a half hour or so she came up with a conclusion for all the symptoms I described. Her conclusion was so absurd if I had not already been thru a few other absurd psych conclusions a few years back I might not have learned such a valuable lesson (one uni psych two years earlier suggested that I was not gay but was shy and should date women - UGH what a disaster that was). A few months later a medical doc actually diagnosed me with HIV without even a urine test. He wondered if we should tell my mother and I replied that I would tell her at home... this doc actually phoned my uni with his diagnosis (it was not just his theory but a DIAGNOSIS) and the wheels started turning there.

This was when HIV was just hitting the headlines and tests were just being developed and the disease being defined. It was obvious that a few of the uni docs I saw were a bit nervous handling me and the test was amazingly expensive to run... but after running the tests it was discovered I had a rare virus and it had just about run its course.

I have a couple other examples where even with specific numbers two docs can disagree on what blood results mean... but I fear I have blabbed on too much already.

I want to say that you have been diagnosed with a syndrome. I am not sure how this has effected you as a child or now. If at all possible use the diagnosis in a way that will be a positive. I know it is easier said than done. I have contemplated suicide many times after being disabled by the medical community but then my therapist and a few other professionals tell me that I would be a fantastic advocate (if I ever gain the energy needed) so...

Having read a bit about AS it seems that there are some positive aspects to the syndrome, aspects that can be used to ones benefit with the right attitude.

Dont let AS define curt.[/COLOR]

use the chat !!!

hey curt, sorry I missed ya. see pm please Wavey

I dont understand. I read the symptoms and it seems many people experience that as a kid? But at least you do know what you have to do to live with the dx. It seems very minor. Almost like being shy? I'm 100% shy so when I was reading that I was thinking WOW that explains me when I was younger

curt-88 Wrote:Hi ... for Christmas I got Aspergers Syndrome. Does any one else suffer from this ?
It's not a desese, we aren't going to die of Asperges. Please don't use the word "suffer" when describing asperges

curt-88 Wrote:Ok first of all I am defenently not seeing this as a good thing in anyway. Its just another oe of those things that make me even more effed. No pun inteneded. I dont want to be different anymore i never did. I just wanna like every other person out there. I hate the way people look at me when im out in public and i try very hard to blend in. Its not easy too look good and fit in with the small town crowd. Straight guys intimidate me so i never initiate contact Now that i think of it i never really initiate contact in person all the guys i ever met are from online. I dont think theres any reason to tell my boyfriend. I wish i would have known this as a child so i could start working around it. Thanks for all the support though. Marsh where can you find a copy of that film.

This is a good thing, you know now why you have the feelings which you do.

For instance, "the people look at me", thats asperges. People may look at you, but your paranoid over it and think more about it. Think about pre-judgement, don't judge people looking at you. Just like you don't want people to judge you just by looking at you or your clothes. Heh your staring at them to know thee looking at you.

Just as you I'm very nervous and most of my boyfriends are from online because I've been to scared to do it in real.

Asperges is amazing, believe me THE POWER asperges will give you. You put that on a job sheet, a college sheet if you ever go into education again (I don't know your age) and believe me they will shit themselves.

However don't let it ruin your life, you now know why you are slightly 'different' but everyones different, no ones the same.

I've had asperges since i was 12, so i know alot more abot it now. But it really dosn't change anything in my life. Apart from getting free laptops from University Laugh

Some People get diagnosed early enough that it has little or no effect on their life. I wish i was one of those people. I am sorry i used the word suffer I am not suffering from this I was just really frustrated with my self and trying to understand it and haveing alot of anxiety. Can you really put this on a resume ETC ? Im 21 so i could be going back to school.

curt-88 Wrote:Some People get diagnosed early enough that it has little or no effect on their life. I wish i was one of those people. I am sorry i used the word suffer I am not suffering from this I was just really frustrated with my self and trying to understand it and haveing alot of anxiety. Can you really put this on a resume ETC ? Im 21 so i could be going back to school.

I know it's probs a big deal to be diagnosed and you think it would've changed alot in your life. But honestly, it dosn't change alot.

The only way I've been sorted from anxiousness, paranoidness, shyness everything else it brings is Councelling. And if one councilor dosn't work try another one. Believe me, they will work if you get the right person for you x.

If you go back to school/college then yes, make sure you mention you have asperges. They can do tests, give you free stuff and also give you a "Learning Support Mentor", some of them even will meet you at the door and help you settle in so your not so nervous on your first day etc...

I know I was diagnosed at like 12, but it hasn't really made my life any easier or harder. From about 7 I had them feelings and knew i was different. But until I started looking into people who could help at 14/15, finding that I had 'asperges' really didn't help me at all.

Perhaps a few times I've woken up thinking, Oh my god I've got Dyspraxia, I've got Asperges, I'm gay what else is gonna happen? But were one of the lucky ones, it could be alot worse. Tell youself that, and I'm sure it'll all work out in the end Bighug