Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise on Long Distance Running
I want to wish you the best of luck !!!! You will do great :-)

Quote:be sure to find the running shoes that work best for you, not necessarily what works for everyone else, yes add a little distance every other run, did the ironman in my youth, didn't win but did finish, good luck Jay

Quote:I want to wish you the best of luck !!!! You will do great :-)

Two of my friends suggested me to visit a specialty running store called Running Lab as my injured left leg works differently from my right one. They think I may need a pair of custom made running shoes so that my left leg can handle long-distance running much better. I think it's good idea but custom made running shoes sound expensive.

See how things go. Most probably will settle with standard running shoes from New Balance, Asics etc.

Thanks for the wishes James and lonley. Much appreciated.

You never cease to amaze me JaySmile good luck on your race.

On a side note, does running cause that much damage to your knees? I want to start but the family has a history of knee problems, mine are fine but I'm a little afraid to risk it.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Good for you.

I'll be applauding your efforts.

Remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Distance not time. Too many runners get all fixated on their time relative to other runners and blow it.

Quote:You never cease to amaze me Jay good luck on your race.

On a side note, does running cause that much damage to your knees? I want to start but the family has a history of knee problems, mine are fine but I'm a little afraid to risk it.

Hi Ceez! My boyfriend from parallel world. That's a compliment. Long time no see.

Well in my case, I injured my left leg due to falling off from stairs and extreme obesity. My fractured bone (from falling down stairs) wasn't able to carry the weight that my body was carrying at the time.

I don't dare to advice as I'm no expert in this matter. Maybe ck86 can give his opinion as he is a doctor himself.

Based on my experience, I only started by walking casually for few years. I slowly changed my phase to brisk walk for another few years, slow jog and so on.

Quote:Good for you.

I'll be applauding your efforts.

Remember it is a marathon not a sprint. Distance not time. Too many runners get all fixated on their time relative to other runners and blow it.

Thanks, Rareboy.

Noted on the advice. My objective is to take it slow and cross the finish line. I don't think I have plan to win it. Crossing the finish line would be amazing enough for my personal achievement. I just want to push myself to my best potential.

I have a lot of plans to fulfill this year. My marathons, complete one of my last surgeries, finish my driving lesson (yes, I don't know how to drive) and more.

[Image: beforeandaffter_zps43b73447.jpg]

I need to remove loose skin from inner thighs (Highlighted). This should be one of my last surgeries. Squats etc. do help a bit to tighten and strengthen my legs. According to my surgeon, should I complete this surgery; I'm not able to walk for several weeks and train for several months. So I would like to do as many 'physical' activities before my surgery. Hence the marathons.

[Image: IMG_1456_copy_zps5f75d724.jpg]

the only advice I know is never wear new trainers, make sure they are worn in first....oh and pace yourself, don't get caught up in the initial adrenaline rush with everyone else when the starter pistol goes to avoid early burn out

Jay from your pics you ought to be super proud of what you've done loosing weight and getting in shape.

I hope you work to inspire others to do the same.

[Image: marathon01_zpsl2v0cdwk.jpg]

I made it!

I finished my first marathon few hours ago.

It was 10km marathon. I didn't walk to take a break. I ran nonstop throughout the marathon.

My phase was slow but steady. The marathon route was quite challenging as I had to run up hills several times. I only picked up my phase at the 8km. But I forgot to sprint at the last few km. I kind of regret that.

My injured left leg took it well. My left knee did pop in and out several times on the 6th km but I didn't stop running.

It took me 74 minutes to complete the marathon. The marathon requires you to complete within 90mins to consider as a finisher. I don't know my actual placement in the marathon but I was in the first group to arrive at the finished line.

I'm very proud of myself right now as I've done something that I used to think impossible. I had teary eyes a bit.

[Image: marathon02_zpslgobzduf.jpg]

[Image: photome_zps4zfy3ses.jpg]

[Image: photo%201_zpsmmwvnrnh.jpg]

[Image: photo%203_zps8rn7ermv.jpg]

Woot! Woot! Good job! Congratz!!!
Smile

Congratulations! NOW… eat LOTS OF GOOD STUFF TO CELEBRATE. Especially protein and carbohydrates!

(My lord, I do good to run 3o feet! :eek: )