Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleppo the lost citry
"Lost" in that it has been destroyed by Assad and his thugs. The Citadel is virtually destroyed, the 14th century "suq" that was a UNESCO World heritage Site is a burnt out wreck. But one man wants to preserve what there was:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-3826893...ine_171216
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I just finished reading this article about Aleppo and the relative inaction the rest of the world has taken.

http://http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12...obama.html

The articles from a few days back that showed people posting final goodbyes to social media were heart breaking too.

What a fucking world we are living in.

Thank you [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]. It is particularly poignant for me since I visited Aleppo a few years ago in more peaceful times and have very fond memories not only of the city but of the wonderful people I met there. What a pity I didn't stay there longer and take more photos than I did.

Even if Assad lavished billions of dollars on the reconstruction of the city it would never be the same since it would be missing the one essential ingredient; the people. And by that I mean those people who lived and loved the city, not those who might come afterwards as conquerers.

^ Who knew you ever felt anything.

From what I've read your posts are always so cynical.

NativeSon Wrote:^ Who knew you ever felt anything.

From what I've read your posts are always so cynical.

Please do give some examples

All of them.

NativeSon Wrote:All of them.

I'm not sure what has provoked that reaction from you but if you cannot provide any specific proof I suggest that you just don't bother to read any of my posts and most certainly don't reply to any of them. What you have said is a silly, sweeping generalisation.

I think you are right, [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION], it is a crying, weeping, sobbing, howling shame that the war has destroyed this place and its people. Some would claim it was religion, some would claim it was politics, some would claim it was power or economics, but mostly it's human greed and stupidity and pride (not the good kind). I'm afraid this is not going to settle so soon, but I hope people who still can can make it out alive. Peace to Syria and Aleppo as soon as possible.

I don't think Native Son gets the difference between a sense of humour and cynicism, [MENTION=18457]LONDONER[/MENTION]. I've not found you to be cynical, but amused and bemused, and certainly shocked at times.

It's absolutely tragic that humanity can swoop so low... It literally makes me ill. The older I get to more of a pacifist I become. No reason ever to kill innocent people or any kind of war for that matter. Psychos run the world and that is a big problem.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!