Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternative Electoral college distributions
LJay Wrote:51 states??

51St state is a brilliant film..

artyboy Wrote:Hmmmm like everything these days there are too many people for these old fashioned systems to work.

Just like the Rights to Arms in the USA was designed to help the shortage of soldiers during and after the US war of Independence. I think the USA population was under a few million people at the time.
Our electoral college system is stupid. It should be straight up popular vote. :S I dont know anyone who say's O yeah its a great system!
Problem is when it allows a president to win I think its less likely that same president will try to eliminate his previous path to the WH.

And gun rights were defined in constitution (the absolute pillar to american freedoms) not to simply arm citizens from foreign powers but domestic ones.

Even our declaration of independence from England
" But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

The founding fathers were afraid of over reaching governments and the constitution practically line by line is to protect citizens from their own government.

SilverBullet Wrote:Our electoral college system is stupid. It should be straight up popular vote. :S I dont know anyone who say's O yeah its a great system!
Problem is when it allows a president to win I think its less likely that same president will try to eliminate his previous path to the WH.

And gun rights were defined in the constitution (the absolute pillar to american freedoms) not to simply arm citizens from foreign powers but domestic ones.

Even our declaration of independence from England
" But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

The founding fathers were afraid of over reaching governments and the constitution practically line by line is to protect citizens from their own government.

This is from a time when your population was less than Wales or Ireland lol. Time for change I think mate.

Lol the line from the film patriot best describes it best "The only thing you'll charge is instead of tyrants Howdens on miles away governing you, you will have tyrants governing you 5 miles away" lol.

Come back to us lol.

artyboy Wrote:This is from a time when your population was less than Wales or Ireland lol. Time for change I think mate.

Lol the line from the film patriot best describes it best "The only thing you'll charge is instead of tyrants Howdens on miles away governing you, you will have tyrants governing you 5 miles away" lol.

Come back to us lol.

I dont see how population governs the corruptness of a government.
I can think of atleast one country with much more citizens than the us that disarmed its citizens and used the military to take control.
Neither is government corruption limited to time period as I can think of several "modern" countries that did it as well even went around locking people up for being gay or of specific religion.

No, I like the constitution as is and I see it as the most important document on US soil.
Also I really like that quote from patriot Big Grin
but I think it was more like, why should I trade 1 tyrant 10,000 miles away for 10,000 tyrants 1 mile away. And he too was speaking of government corruption Smile

So now we're on Gun issues? lol

Well I do support the 2nd amendment. I also think it is quite funny how everyone is like the US has the most gun violence... well considering all the dynamics of society and the size of the US and the fact we have a lot of guns (over 300 million). Yes, we love our guns, most of us anyway, we use it to hunt, use it as protection....from the red coats. Couldn't win in 1776 or 1812... and we would have wound up with all of Canada in the 1930's if we had gone to war with the UK back then. The irony of the US & UK's "special relationship" was all due to WWII. If it weren't for the war there probably would not be any sort of friendship, not to mention the planned war against Britain back in the 1930's was over the UK not repaying the US on something to the order of $6 Billion...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:So now we're on Gun issues? lol

Well I do support the 2nd amendment. I also think it is quite funny how everyone is like the US has the most gun violence... well considering all the dynamics of society and the size of the US and the fact we have a lot of guns (over 300 million). Yes, we love our guns, most of us anyway, we use it to hunt, use it as protection....from the red coats. Couldn't win in 1776 or 1812... and we would have wound up with all of Canada in the 1930's if we had gone to war with the UK back then. The irony of the US & UK's "special relationship" was all due to WWII. If it weren't for the war there probably would not be any sort of friendship, not to mention the planned war against Britain back in the 1930's was over the UK not repaying the US on something to the order of $6 Billion...

You got to love it's a British guy that took it there lol.

Still think we could goven you Colonials better lol :p

Speaking as someone looking at it all from the outside, one thing that I think is wrong with your elections is the propaganda and how big this thing gets blown over there. Your candidates put on a show, essentially. But being a good entertainer, or knowing how to sell yourself to the audience, does not equal a good politician/candidate/president.

One of the reasons why I think Trump was so successful, was because he put on a show, and that convinced a lot of people, who otherwise would not have been convinced.

Important elections like these shouldn't be made into a show business. It should be a neutral information exchange about the candidates and what they want to do, not a stage act. And yours is a stage act. It's a play, scripted in advance and acted out on a stage as if it was all rolling out spontaneously. Honestly, American members, that's seriously fucked up. This is exactly how low quality candidates (the ones who know how to exploit it) can make themselves look bigger and better than they actually are. You should get that toned down.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

[MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION] You aren't kidding. I hate it. I hate how it is done like a reality TV show or some drama series on TV...

They do blow a lot of smoke, as bad as Trump is as a person, or all the things that have come out about him....I mean I still don't like him but like I say hopefully he won't be as bad as all the hype about him suggests he will be.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

axle2152 Wrote:[MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION] You aren't kidding. I hate it. I hate how it is done like a reality TV show or some drama series on TV...

They do blow a lot of smoke, as bad as Trump is as a person, or all the things that have come out about him....I mean I still don't like him but like I say hopefully he won't be as bad as all the hype about him suggests he will be.

For him to be as bad as the hype he would need to form an SS unit and start arresting gays and execute them, launch nukes at Russia and moon everyone from the white houses front doors...

Kinda like how when Obama took office, it was the end of the world, hell fire and brimstone, anti Christ.

No it will not be as bad as people are acting, I heard in the CS lab yesterday some students were needing mental help because they were thinking about suicide.

I think he will be a bad president but like Obama, he will not be the anti Christ, the sun will still rise and the world will go on.
As much power as the POTUS has he is not a monarch. And 90% of even the reps would be against genocide.

now if your Roseanne... well I could understand and completely support moving to a different country.