Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Musicians Here?
I don't really mean professionally of course, though if you are, that's really cool!
Currently I play the bass guitar, using Rock Smith as a bit of a guide along side youtube videos. I also played the violin as a child and hope to take it up again, partially so I can give logical reasoning for the silent violin I've been eyeing for a few years now. I was also a pianist for a while in middle school, though I really hated that instrument...I may take it up again though to assist in relearning to read music.

Anyway, tell me, what do you do musically? Wind, string, percussion, or even vocals!

(Also if you have any advice to give aspiring musicians, go for it!)

EDIT
I apologize for putting this in the wrong section. Apparently my eyes skipped right over the music thread... :T It's been a long morning.)

I played percussion in highschool. Haven't touched it since

I always wanted to play the drums, but at the same time I prefer strings so yeah XD Bass guitar is a good, mellow rhythm based instrument :3

I 've played guitar for 7 years...well I learnt alone and I had stopped for two years. Now, I have to change the mechanics on my guitar to play again. But I'm lazy ! :biggrin:

I'm more on acoustic (I'm now working on Minor Swing of Django Reinhardt), and I love impros, blues or jazz (gipsy or not)

I also start drums (well not seriously) because we have a drumkit in the campus, and it's easy to learn bases.

I play the flute. Both your standard flute and (my personal favorite) the pan flute.

Got interested in learning how to play ever since I discovered Jethro Tull about 16 years ago. I can play quite a few of their songs on the flute now (though nowhere near as well as Ian Anderson *sob*)

I have always wanted to put together a Jethro Tull tribute band and play a few nightclubs, but I can't find anyone interested in the idea. Shame as I even had a name picked out for us "Jack Frost and the Hooded Crows"

I've been playing guitar for about ten years, though I'm woefully out of practice. I can play bass as well, and can mess around a bit on piano. I can play a handful of drumbeats but more than anything would love to learn to actually play drums.

Learning music theory and how to read sheet music can be very helpful and I highly recommend looking into that. Don't have to be a master sight reader, but knowing the basics (keys, clefs, intervals, time signatures, cadence etc.) can be really helpful. The key in my mind is to understand that theory is not necessarily prescriptive so much as descriptive - don't think of theory as a set of rules you must adhere to so much as an explanation of musical phenomena and how they work mathematically and aesthetically.

I play piano, organ, and clarinet..... Playing the clarinet has helped my sight reading skills (sight reading and transposing at the same time Tongue), Piano has helped with theory- also AP music theory ftw- and organ is just plain awesome to play......

As far as what I do- all 3 instruments at various times @ church, piano in jazz band and combo, clarinet in wind ensemble, and I play solo literature on piano and organ......oh and I sing in chamber choir

My advice is similar to Miles: don't let theory push you around, go for what sounds good and don't worry about breaking the rules. Improv/writing your own stuff is way more fulfilling than playing out of a book, although there's plenty of good literature out there..... Good Luck!

I play traditional fiddle, after having played violin in school orchestras years (ok, decades) ago. My preference is to play for fun, but some friends and I get hired for parties and weddings occasionally. I toy with a few other instruments, and even sit in on African drumming circles now and then. I also love to sing, mostly traditional folk songs from the UK and early US.

We have an open session every weekend at the local micro brewery. I enjoy an informal setting like that over being on stage. Not to mention the free beer. Beerchug

I took piano lessons when I was maybe 7 or 8, had choir in high school, then took up composing using Propellerhead Reason 3.0. Now there's a 7.0, and I think I might just give up.

Counselor Wrote:and I think I might just give up.

Oh no you don't. Don't make me put you in a dress and hurt you.