Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone nostalgic over childhood?
I was recently looking through some old photos, mostly of me 12 and younger. As I did, I recalled books I read, things I had, shows I enjoyed, skills I was learning, groups I was a part of, and so on...can't say I missed it, though. Especially as I knew what was coming.

Sometimes it was immanent. I saw some of me on the farm at 4 (and younger) and knowing I'd soon be taken to a new home that was much less pleasant (though when I first went there, there were woods instead of housing developments, which I'd forgotten until I saw the pix). I saw another pic of me with neighborhood girls (at a birthday party) knowing that within a year of that pic being taken I'd be shunned by all of them. I saw one with a star globe that I'd forgotten about (but loved at the time), but knew that within a couple of years Mom would sell it while I was away.

Even so, it was all before life got really...tough. But it was all leading up to that (the latest childhood pic about a year, perhaps even just months, before the hard times began). And I didn't feel nostalgia, if anything I felt a dull sort of dread...and a great relief that it was over, and I'd never have to face that again (and suddenly shuddering at the thought of reincarnation). Though it would be nice to go back and get back a few things I lost (to bring back to the present), what I've gained since adulthood is far better than what I've lost.

So many are nostalgic, and I read an interesting article on how remakes really can feel like "ruining my childhood" which is based on nostalgia and how one defines the self through their childhood experiences. But I don't feel that.

I wonder how many here do. Life is generally rougher, especially in childhood, for one who is gay. When you think back on childhood (especially when looking at photos, which I'm sure will focus on Christmas, birthday parties, and generally good times), do you feel a longing to return to a simpler time, or more relieved that it's over? :confused:

Bonus question: if you're more glad that it's over, do you get mad over remakes for "ruining your childhood"?

Not really sure what you mean by "remakes."

I am nostalgic about some parts of my childhood, but not all of it. Just like adulthood, it is an uneven experience.
I bid NO Trump!

i really do think that real life and everything abt it starts in childhood... we just go through some hard things and in the end redeem everything what we missed abt it. so yeah ..

Remakes are also called reboots. Here's an article on it:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/brai...on-remakes

I do miss my childhood, it wasn't perfect but it wasn't bad either, actually when me and my friend became teenagers we knew it was only a matter of time before we had to take jobs we didn't like to pay bills. for the bonus question I do get mad at some of the remakes, I didn't like Star Wars episode I and II or the TMNT movies but I do love the most recent Star Wars and Star Trek movies.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Have someone else feed me was great. Fixing food can be a pain in the butt.

It's strange what age and aging does to you (one). I'm nearing retirement now, and every retirement party at the end of the year is an occasion to see the young mothers with their new babies, and to see the retiring colleagues leaving us for good. It's always a strange occasion, mixed with emotion and laughter and a few regrets. Similarly looking back onto your youth is one of those things that can bring nostalgia. Did we live in a safer world then? Was life easier, less frightening? I guess it was, we were carefree, and yet I'm sure our youths also had their challenges. One of the challenges of my youth was my parents breaking up when I was seven. It has left a deep scar in my psyche, but I was fortunate to have my parents by me nonetheless. Still have my eighty-something dad around who is fit as a fiddle. That's saying much. Ok, get me off the nostalgia wagon, I have current affairs to see to. Haha. Thanks for the thread, [MENTION=14705]Pix[/MENTION].

JohnMusic Wrote:Have someone else feed me was great. Fixing food can be a pain in the butt.
Interestingly, making food is one of my passions, and having people enjoy it is also a great feeling. But I get it, having to prepare food for yourself on a daily basis can get a bit tedious. I guess it's that way for any housewife or househusband who has to feed the family day in day out...

Listening to a radio programme about women and concerning the new release of Ghostbusters, I found it interesting that they were going about it with a completely new perspective. So, they're taking an old story and resetting it in another context which is basically what we do with all seven storylines. We just keep on actuating the same old stories for the new generations. Such a movie can have merits of its own. It's only disappointing when the storyline or the production has been shoddy, no?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07hwm5z
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36702376 Ghostbusters all female cast shouldn't be all that shocking.

Nope not at all. I did not exactly have the best childhood, wish i could go back and fix pretty much all of it. But otherwise i'm happy to let the past stay in the past.