Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are scars unattractive?
I ask this because I have a fairly large scar on my neck that I'm kind of self-conscious about. It goes from my mid-neck/upper chest all the way up the right side of my neck, toward my ear. I've had two surgeries there and they had to re-open the incision to take out more lymph nodes (I had cancer), and I developed a really bad hypertrophic scar there. I've had kenalog injections that have helped reduce the thickness of the scar considerably and made it much flatter and more pliable, but it's still visible, especially if I wear v-necks or lower cut t-shirts. I obviously am not going to wear a turtleneck 365 days a year, and the scar doesn't bother me to the point that I'm sick about it, but I get a lot of stares when people do notice it. Occasionally people will ask me what happened, which I actually prefer to just staring in shock. I remember after my first surgery I got out of the hospital a few days after Christmas and went to the grocery store with my mother with all the staples still in my neck (no idea WHAT on earth I was thinking), and people were mortified— I probably looked like Frankenstein!

But yeah, do you, in general, find scars unattractive or repulsive? I'm kind of afraid it'll be an off-putting factor for potential dates/mates/whatever, because it's considerably big. They also took out muscle in my neck and upper shoulder, so there's a slight indent in my neck where that stuff's missing, but you have to look a bit closely.

I don't find scars unattractive personally, but I'm sure some people probably do.

The more visible they are in "normal clothing" the more likely they ate to make people wonder.

To me a scar is just an indicator of living life, i don't care.

Richard

starbelly Wrote:I probably looked like Frankenstein!

But yeah, do you, in general, find scars unattractive or repulsive? I'm kind of afraid it'll be an off-putting factor for potential dates/mates/whatever, because it's considerably big.

To answer honestly and blatantly,yes it is unattractive,otherwise models would be rushing to get one,LOL.

But it isn't supposed to be an off-putting factor to those who're not skin deep,and would you want a partner that's superficial? So there is it,it doesn't matter even if you have scars outside,as long as you're beautiful inside,one of these days a guy will find you attractive just as you are,along with the scars. Cheers~ Baer

p/s: wow,I can't believe I quote that,so Born This Way! Tongue
p/p/s: I consider myself as shallow,but I'm trying to learn to grow out of it so that hopefully by the time I'm ready for a relationship,a lot of things I consider as repulsive right now won't be as much by then. =|

Nope, I don't. I admit staples would put me off, but scars, when they register as anything other than a minor detail, can actually add some character and make someone seem more interesting.

Pix Wrote:Nope, I don't. I admit staples would put me off, but scars, when they register as anything other than a minor detail, can actually add some character and make someone seem more interesting.

Hmm,never quite thought about the difference between staples and scars,but I kinda agree with you.

If you live an active life you will have scars
Love scars

Pix Wrote:Nope, I don't. I admit staples would put me off, but scars, when they register as anything other than a minor detail, can actually add some character and make someone seem more interesting.

Thanks guys, I've had it for a couple years now but it basically had to re-heal because I had that other surgery last October. It's gotten to the point that I don't notice it so much because I have no choice but to live with it, but I do still see people stare at it in shock sometimes and it still occasionally makes me uncomfortable— I'm a little concerned about having to explain it to someone who I potentially date or whatever.

mamza Wrote:Hmm,never quite thought about the difference between staples and scars,but I kinda agree with you.

The staples were only left in for a couple of weeks, the incision was too extreme to be handled just by sewing it shut, so they used staples. It was kind of an intense surgery. But yeah, those were only temporary! Haha.

starbelly Wrote:The staples were only left in for a couple of weeks, the incision was too extreme to be handled just by sewing it shut, so they used staples. It was kind of an intense surgery. But yeah, those were only temporary! Haha.

I see,I'm glad at least THAT is temporary. :biggrin:

I think anyone who judges you based on a scar is someone you don't wanna be friends with, let alone more than friends.

As for me personally, I wouldn't mind at all.