Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you thinking of switching jobs/careers?
if so, what would you switch to and why?

Discuss.

I have thought about it before but it wouldn't be a switch so much as focusing on one thing.
I work as an independent consultant for game companies (miniatures, cards, that sort of thing), I also paint for a living. Commission work mostly, occasionally for exhibits or whatnot.
I have wanted to go to just one or the other, but they are so radically different that I have a hard time choosing. Probably keep at them both for now Smile

I wasted the first 6 years of my adult life on higher education. I earned the right to be called 'Doctor' a long time ago. No not a medical doctor (I do have some minor medical training though), I got myself a demon, erm, I mean D.Min (doctorate of ministry) in the pursuit of be coming a man of the church, erm I mean man of God - no I was fascinated with the Religion not the Deity.

Around age 25 I dropped out of ministry. While I went on to apply my minor medical knowledge a bit for a short span, I ultimately picked up a hammer and started working with wood again.

Of course having a D.Min looked good for the volunteer work I did. Back in the day when men of the collar were considered respectable, before the Catholic Priesthood was turned out as pedophiles..... Rolleyes

Ironically (sort of) I did construction work to work through college and university. I looked at that sort of work as a stepping stone, a means to the ends of getting some sheepskin and getting into something which I considered to be 'better than' being a mere laborer.

However it is the thing I turned to and pretty much discovered that it was my first (perhaps only) love when it comes to what I like to do.

Currently I am 'unemployed'. While I have my own business - in theory, I have been running deep into the red for a few years now (since the housing market imploded). With the loss of my truck a couple months ago (it threw a rod through its oil pan, the engine is now scrap metal) I have taken on even less clients and spend more time in my own backyard.

I have filed for disability. I have been eligible for several years since the time my knee and spine got mucked up to the point where I am in constant pain. I stuck with working and get limping along because I didn't know anything else.

Technically I am also employed as a property 'care-taker' . I have lived her for 15 years and my rent, electricity, trash, sewage, water is mostly paid for by the fact that I live on this 2 acres of land and mow lawns, water, rake, blow. I only pay $150.00 a month rent. So I guess my other career is 'automatic irrigation system'. :biggrin:

I am no where near where I thought I would be when I was 20 (some 26 years ago). The life I expected is definitely not the life I have. It was a good surprise.

I've thought a lot about switching career but my ignorance of what I want to do always pushes me back into the kitchen as that is where I got the most experience in. But yet I haven't found any job so I should and I am trying to apply for just any kind of occupation just so I could move out someday but yet nothing.
Sometimes you need a bit of chaos in your life to be able to shrug off pitiful disdain about something meaningless.

i want to make a change - good at my job but its extemely physicaly demanding, my friend said he could get me a job opportunity working with either ex drug abusers in a stay over home or with disable people doin the same over night stay in a housing unit - he says i have the caring nature for it Smile also the fact my body build helps as they like to employ men who can help with violent residents too to calm a situation (that worries me a bit) the pay is good but the thought of an addict kicking off sounds off putting till you find the bounderys of what is acceptable to calm a situation - its just something im mulling over for now anyway

Zet Wrote:I've thought a lot about switching career but my ignorance of what I want to do always pushes me back into the kitchen as that is where I got the most experience in. But yet I haven't found any job so I should and I am trying to apply for just any kind of occupation just so I could move out someday but yet nothing.

I wouldn't call it ignorance. Honestly, a career path is so dificult to commit to. How can we know for certain which career paths to abide by that will provide us with excitement or the happiness we seek? We won't know until we try I guess.

I don't plan on being a lab scientist for the rest of my life. I'm interested in so many disciplines that I simply don't know what to focus on :confused:
I'd really like to get involved with education in my community and help motivate kids and get them excited for learning. Education is so important and I feel that it is shunned or its significance is diminished in our society.

I'd also like to be certified as an interpreter, which I think would be cool to do on the side. I have too many goals to list haha. Nothing wrong with being ambitious I suppose

I am not going to change my current path...I am successfully self employed and own my store and business...but I have been considering branching out a bit and becoming a promoter. I am maybe 53% convinced it would be a good idea and 47% convinced it would not be worth the incredible effort it would take...time will tell what side wins.

I'm trying to get out of my crappy retail job since I just got a degree but lately I've been fooling around with writing apps and mobile games. pretty much any job/career involving technology I wouldn't mind, it just sucks that I'm part of the 50% of my graduating class that hasn't found a job yet Sad

Wow, I didn't expect this much input, thanks y'all for chiming in!

I'm sort of at a crossroad in life, where I start to have the proverbial "existential crisis" mentality. I've dabbled in IT as a junior network admin for a couple years now. But I'm starting to get tired of it. I mean I like technology and everything, but I hate the long work hours and the stress of constant updating you have to do. Change in the IT industry is infamously volatile. It's like as if you're on call for the rest of your life. I find myself losing interest in the field as I'm starting to wonder whether it's sustainable in the long run...Working long hours while finding time to pursue other interests. Is it normal to be occupied so completely by your job?

So recently I'm thinking of switching to more traditional careers like Accounting or Nursing. Those are pretty much surefire careers that won't make you starve in the long run, I believe, regardless of the economic situation. Another benefit is that I could pursue my interests (and there are lots!) while working, without having to worry about the $$$. I hate to work for money but I find myself on the verge of accepting this reality and making some changes.

What do you think about these 2 careers? What should I be aware of?

IT is very stressful, I had a networking teacher who was a network admin. making six figures but he quit because of the stress. he said he went two years without taking a vacation and when he finally did he got called in. Something you could do is some internships/volunteer work to see what you like.