Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Argument critique thread
As minorities in a world that is often hostile towards us, we need to make sure that we have solid, coherent and convincing arguments in order to improve our situation and win support. Because unfortunately, a person's point of view on homosexuality is often determined by how positive or negative their interactions with LGBT people are. So make sure that, when the opportunity comes, you make someone's experiences positive instead of negative through coherent, logically sound and respectful arguments that engage the person who you're debating with and make them think without making them uncomfortable.

Using this thread, hopefully we can all become better at debating LGBT rights with people who oppose us.

Please keep all criticism constructive and don't put anyone down.

BTW, feel free to critique my past arguments, because I should not be immune from constructive criticism. Maybe I am the one with the worst arguments out of anyone on here.

This is an interesting idea for a thread.

I honestly don't think you can stockpile arguments though ;P if you have to argue a case, you have to come up with a localised, and relevant argument. It sounds forced and weak if you're recycling ideas.

Having said that though, if I were in a position where I had to convince someone that I'm not going to die, or I'm made of pure evil or whatever, I would probably lean towards not specifically focusing on homosexuality, but more on their views. And that you have the right to think that, but I don't think that, and there are plenty of different views.

I just don't like sounding dogmatic. That's one thing I hate, probably the thing I hate the most, when people are dogmatic.

You can stand there all day and all night with your hands on your hips and scream 'RESPECT ME', but you ain't going to get it.

You earn respect, how?

You live your life the best way you possibly can. You enjoy yourself without infringing on other peoples rights. You achieve whatever it is that you want to achieve, you leave that indelible mark on society, you smile at people that need someone to smile at them.

Gays and lesbians run around scream 'WE ARE NO DIFFERENT TO YOU' while wearing leather chaps, squealing like fucking princess's and gyrating in a sexually provocative manner...yeah, that's no different to the average Joe with a wife and 2 kids hey?

How can you guys expect to be accepted and treated the same when everything you do only separates you from reality?

There will be a day when no one will ever have to come out because no one is going to give a shit if you are gay, straight, lesbian, bi or trans and it will only happen when WE integrate ourselves with society rather than us DEMAND that society accept us.

If we want equal rights, we have to behave in an equally responsibly manner.

Arkansota Wrote:a person's point of view on homosexuality is often determined by how positive or negative their interactions with LGBT people are.

I'm sorry, but this is not altogether true.

The majority of people who have issues with the LGBT community have never actually had any interaction with an LGBT individual.

Their interaction with LGBT affairs is through the media and through stereotypes handed down by others who claim (but usually don't) know or have been around an LGBT person.

As a straight acting homosexual I have often found myself on the receiving end of a petty, tiny brain rattling off 'facts' about the Gays (Few actually think about lesbians, bis, Trans G/S- its always gay males they are so concerned about).

Its the same type of person who just has to make some sort of thought comment about their take on what its like to be Black - because you see, your skin is white thus you must understand that we with the white skin must talk about the blacks when the blacks are not around.

These people are not getting their wealth of data from real, practical experience, they are pulling it out of the asses of people who they listen to that spew their vile hatred and condemnation.

When it comes to gays - you would be amazed at how many bigots will go on at length about ass and ass-sex. Apparently the ass of a gay man is one of the most important things in life to think about. I'm a gay man and I don't think about anal sex THAT often.

The other side of the coin is that they think we are all women - We all take it up the bum-hole - They are so illogical and incapable of reason they never figure out that someone, somewhere has to be shoving something up the bum-hole of the rest of the trillions upon trillions of sissy Nancy boys that apparently live in their world of never ending anal sex.

I have shocked the shit out of individuals before by sitting their listening to their vile, perverse thoughts then turning around and saying 'As a gay man, I personally never witnessed/did that.'

"You're Gay?!?!?! You don't look/act/sound gay" - which I assume means that I'm not standing their being butt-fucked in their presence makes me not-gay.

The opinions are not based in reality because they have no real experience. They don't interact with their people they choose to hate.

Hatred is not based in knowledge. Bigotry is based on biased opinion handed down by (predominately, but not limited too) one's parents. These people will flat refuse to get to know a person who fits the minority they hate. They shun 'Those people' to the point where they never get a real experience and learn that we are all books of blood, when we are opened we are red.

So no, its not the interactions with the LGBT community that forms their opinions of us, its the interactions they have with their bigoted parents, their bigoted peers and other bigots who share their petty thoughts and hatreds.

You can argue points with finesse and class until you are "blue in the face"............but the media and homophobes out there are ONLY going to see those fags who do and say things to enforce those stereotypical, hurtful, and condescending things that drag us all down to the douchebag level of those morons who think its ok to do and say those things in public.

Not totally true...while in every debatable subject you are bound to have arguments, respect for the other and try to be as polite and precise as you can, it's always up to the other person whether he/she accepts your position or not

Many homophobes out there have never interacted with an LGBT person...they just have pre-conceptions based on how they were raised, etc.

Do we have to have good, rational and respectful arguments to our position when someone confronts us? Yes.

Do we have the need to convince everyone to like us? No. I for one I'm utterly uninterested in trying to convince everyone else to accept me for who I am. I'm gay and I can't do anything about it even if I wanted to...kill me if you don't like who I am, but you'll still be killing a gay man