Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asperger's Syndrome / Autism
I'm not quite on the spectrum, but I balance on the line. I have pretty bad social phobias; physical contact freaks me out (I've cried uncontrollably just because someone touched my face), I don't like eye contact, but I can make it if needed, and I struggle with basic conversations. I've had several tests done, though, and they all come back with no autism or anything near it. Instead I just have anxiety on a rather severe scale.
It still is pretty hard for me to build relationships, though. =(

Oh, forgot to mention: My brother is autistic doubled with a victim mentality. It grinds every nerve I have because, well, let's say he hasn't showered in a week. We ask him to shower and he claims that we all hate him and we're all out to get him. *sigh*
I know for a fact that's not normal behavior, though. I have a friend who is also autistic, but he's really nice and takes responsibility for his actions.
*sigh*
But anyway, what I'm getting at is...you know, I'm not sure what I'm getting at XD lol

You sound like a more sever case of me. On the tests I am borderline, not clinically an aspy but, I have anxiety issues that stem from abuse. I can handle social gatherings now, even enjoy one now and then but, at 20 there was no way in Hades I could even go to a social gathering - doing so resulted in a panic attack at the least and, a flashback with me going unconscious at the worst.

Back then, if I made a friend at all it was either someone a lot younger whom I knew I could keep in control, or someone a lot older that had the knowledge and patience to deal with my B.S. Now I can fake it pretty well. I do public demos in BDSM dungeons, karaoke at clubs, best this or that body part contests and such without panic attacks.

I do have one major trigger left that will send me into a nasty flashback. I can control it with a partner I trust, but even that is a major fight and I will be in panic attack mode but, if my partner is really into that, I'll go with it occasionally to please them. (yeah that trigger is sexual in nature).

I'm a firm believer that our mind is our most powerful tool, and can be our worst enemy if we let it get away with that crap. Except is the most severe cases, our mind can do more for us that nay medication or any other tricks we might try. If we make up our mind that we are going to beat a personal obstacle or demon, we can do it, and we don't need all of the drugs mainstream medicine will try to throw at us long term. Yes medication can be helpful short term for the really tough issues, but long term we can manage it on our own. Took me until I was 40 to get off all meds, but I did it and, now I have casual friends that have no idea I have any issues at all. Usually, I even shock partners when I have to tell them about my one remaining trigger before we get to having sex. I get a "You were, are, I mean - NO WAY, you seem too together." reaction and, that's a really good feeling Smile

I have mild aspergus. Apart from the social side of it (which at times can be awkward), I hardly notice any of the other traits of aspergus. I know I have other traits but I cant say "this bit if from the aspergus and this bits not"

goldeneye101 Wrote:I have mild aspergus. Apart from the social side of it (which at times can be awkward), I hardly notice any of the other traits of aspergus. I know I have other traits but I cant say "this bit if from the aspergus and this bits not"

The guy I'm talking to now is the same way. To talk to him, you'd never know anything is wrong. He's just socially awkward at times. Funny thing is, I think it's adorable.