Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Disappointment
What was your biggest disappointment and how if it all has it been a positive for you? I've thought about this question recently, found out that sometimes it's an interview question, but that's not what I'm concerned with. Easily my biggest disappointment was all the crap with my best friend, but it ended up giving me the help I long needed. I'm just a 20 something year old trying to figure out this thing called life.

I find it hard to rank things like that. Same with like what's your favorite movie, or music. Anything that is subjective anyway. Usually what I find and also assume is that the last thing that was very disappointing would probably be the first thing that comes to mind when asked a question like this.

I can think of a couple things. Well one thing is that I wished I had not wasted over a decade of my life smoking cigarettes and pot. I mean I don't do that crap now and I do of course feel better, but who knows what the consequences will be having done that. I kind of wish I had got into bigger things sooner. For instance, I have become quite curious about aviation and thought about possibly looking into that and move towards getting a pilots license. However, I think the time where I could turn it into a career is long gone because of all the hours and different ratings you would have to have to actually make money. That and I don't think I would want to fly as a career, but more for recreation. That is still a possibility, but flight training is expensive and planes are as well and you need to know more mechanically. It's not a cheap recreation but it is a fun one. So I kind of look at it like I wish I was going on 21 and not 31. At 21 I was doing other things and just never gave anything like that a thought. Hindsight is 20/20.

My advice to people younger than I is experience things, get outdoors. Do things, you never know what you will enjoy and if you take a liking to something like flying planes and such, the sooner you get into it the better.

That's just one example. I have had disappointments with people and so on but I think one can get over that if they want to. Missing out on life experiences is a big one. I realize that by the time I'm 64 I'm probably not going to get into paragliding or anything like that. So the time is now, not later. People talk about retirement, and yeah it is good to plan, save money but the time is now to do things, tomorrow is not guaranteed
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I used to be disappointed in;
- A certain family member who let us all down
- Not studying a certain subject
- Quitting two of my old jobs
- Breaking up with an ex
- Reckless spending

...now I just look back and realise most things really did happen for the best, and the things that perhaps could have had a 'better' outcome made me a stronger person and helped me meet some amazing people or create some true memories. I've stopped carrying disappointment around with me; the only things that disappoint me now are short lived like when you really fancy a Chinese but its a Tuesday and it's closed.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

Growing up, the word "disappointment" was synonymous with the word "dad". If there was a way to disappoint us and let us down, he found it. I think the man invented new ways lol. My brothers and I stopped expecting anything from him at a very young age, but my sister always hoped (still does, I think) which is sad.

If I learned anything at all from that, it was to keep my promises. Not to make promises lightly. And to follow through and do what I say I'll do.

I can't think of my biggest disappointment....life is full of them, you just have to rise above them.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Very true [MENTION=14580]CellarDweller[/MENTION] as long as we do rise above. Might not be instantaneous, but it's so worth it.

When I was younger, I always thought that my 'life' would start in my 20s (by 'life', I mean friendships, relationships, fun, etc.). It's disappointing that it never did happen. I tried to make it happen but people don't really want anything to do with me. At the same time, I've also gradually learned that there is no one I really want to be with. I don't really click into place with anyone. Every so often, this comes up in my head and I have to sulk for a while.

Disappointed by people having faults that I didn't know before, even I knew everyone is not perfect.

I am always disappointed by my friends showing negative emotions within each other, mostly jealousy or looking down on something / someone that I think they shouldn't have. I personally don't like these two emotions especially because they are the root of many disputes and dramas everyday. I rarely ever feel jealous towards anything or anyone and I don't easily look down on people. It's kind of my fundamental principal in life.

I truly believe the ideal idea of equality and work hard to practice it in everyday life but I know most of the people out there aren't like this and this let me down quite often.