Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boris Johnson wins race for London Mayor
Boris Johnson has won the race to become the next mayor of London - ending Ken Livingstone's eight-year reign at City Hall.

The Conservative candidate won with 1,168,738 first and second preference votes, compared with Mr Livingstone's 1,028,966 on a record turnout of 45%.
He paid tribute to Mr Livingstone and appeared to offer him a possible role in his new administration.

Lib Dem Brian Paddick came third and the Greens' Sian Berry came fourth.
Mr Johnson is expected to stand down as MP for Henley, triggering a by-election.

'Exuberant nerve'

In his victory speech, he described Mr Livingstone as "a very considerable public servant".
He added: "You shaped the office of mayor. You gave it national prominence and when London was attacked on 7 July 2005 you spoke for London."
Mr Johnson also paid tribute to his "courage and the sheer exuberant nerve with which you stuck it to your enemies, especially in New Labour".

FIRST AND SECOND PREFERENCE VOTES
Boris Johnson: 1,168,738
Ken Livingstone: 1,028,966

Mr Johnson told Mr Livingstone he hoped to "discover a way in which the mayoralty can continue to benefit from your transparent love of London".
He said he would work to earn the trust of those that had opposed him, or who had hesitated before voting for him.
"I will work flat out to repay and to justify your confidence. We have a new team ready to go into City Hall.
"Where there have been mistakes we will rectify them, where there are achievements we will build on them, where there are neglected opportunities we will seize on them."

Livingstone 'sorry'

He promised to focus on crime by promoting 24-hour policing, transport, including promoting cycling, green spaces, affordable homes and getting value for money for taxpayers.
Mr Johnson's victory crowns the Conservative Party's May Day local election wins in England and Wales.

FIRST PREFERENCE VOTES
Boris Johnson (Tory): 1,043,761
Ken Livingstone (Lab): 893,877
Brian Paddick (Lib Dem): 236,685
Sian Berry, (Green): 77,374
Richard Barnbrook (BNP): 69,710
Alan Craig, (Christian Choice): 39,249
Lindsey German (Left List): 16,796
Matt O'Connor, (Eng Democrats): 10,695
Winston McKenzie (Ind): 5,389

He said he hoped it showed the party had changed "into a party that can be trusted after 30 years with the greatest, most cosmopolitan, multi-racial generous hearted city on earth".

Mr Livingstone's defeat ended what Gordon Brown called a "bad" day for Labour, in which it suffered its worst council results for 40 years.
Asked by the BBC what his views were on the poor Labour showing, Mr Johnson said: "The smart thing for Labour to do would be to quietly to remove Gordon Brown and install [Foreign Secretary David] Miliband, is my view, but I don't think they'll do it."

In his speech after the result was declared at City Hall, Mr Livingstone thanked the Labour Party for all its help with his campaign.

"There is absolutely nothing that I could have asked from the Labour Party that it didn't throw into this election, from Gordon Brown right the way down to the newest recruit, handing out leaflets on very wet, cold days.

"I'm sorry I couldn't get an extra few points that would take us to victory and the fault for that is solely my own. You can't be mayor for eight years and then if you don't at third term say it was somebody else's fault. I accept that responsibility and I regret that I couldn't take you to victory."

Conservative Party leader David Cameron praised Mr Johnson for a "serious and energetic campaign" and said his party was "winning the battle of ideas".

Liberal Democrat candidate Brian Paddick paid tribute to Ken Livingstone as "an amazing mayor" and indicated that he would not be interested in working with Mr Johnson.
He said he would be talking to Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg about his future and what he could do for the party.

Story from BBC NEWS:
BBC NEWS | Politics | Johnson wins London mayoral race

Published: 2008/05/03 00:51:23 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

I'm quite glad Ken got the boot. Yes he's done several good things for London, but last few years he really has been a bit of a letdown.

I think the next 4 years will be interesting times for London's future and Boris Johnson will need to do a fine job to make sure he can stay in power next time round.

Boris Johnson has a hell of a lot of credibility points to earn. Whatever his special qualities may be, most people only know him as a buffoon.

Did he really win, or did Ken Livingstone lose the election?

Clown mayors indeed. Next they'll be trying to tell us that movie stars can be presidents of super-power states.

marshlander Wrote:Boris Johnson has a hell of a lot of credibility points to earn. Whatever his special qualities may be, most people only know him as a buffoon.

Clown mayors indeed. Next they'll be trying to tell us that movie stars can be presidents of super-power states.

Hasn't that already happened? Wink

marshlander Wrote:Boris Johnson has a hell of a lot of credibility points to earn. Whatever his special qualities may be, most people only know him as a buffoon.

Oh I agree that he's got some credability to build up... but Ken's time was certainly over. As will Labour's time at the top come to an end unless Mr Brown does some serious Brown-nosing to his nation!!

uh ah - I am not happy about Borris Johnson getting in as Mayor, my only consolation is that despite the 'dope' facade he s actually a pretty smart guy, and in running the City he will for the most part have other people make decisions for him.

Although right now you can see he's going to be a 'scape goat for a lot of things :tongue:

As long as he continues with Livingston's plans to extend tube running times to 3 / 4 in the morning then I'll be happy. - oh and don't scrap the bendy bus! :biggrin: