Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British slang.....
Ok, I love my Britcoms, but some of them I just cannot understand.

For instance, 'Dinner Ladies'. Heavy accents for one thing.
Of course there is a lot of things they make fun of that Ive never heard about, so I dont get it...like some guy named "Ivy". Apparently the audience thought it was hysterical, but meant nothing to me.

And then there's the British slang.

What do these terms mean? I figured out a lot of them, but these I cant figure out-

The "dt's"
"Having it off"
"One off"
"SRT patch"

And tapping your nose with your finger.

Anybody know if there is a British slang dictionary out there online?

Having it off means sex. I haven't a clue with the others.
Tapping your nose with your finger means keep out off my business, it's got nothing to do with you.

I hope that helps a little.
An eye for an eye

One off means that it will only happen once. It's never to be repeated.
An eye for an eye

Tapping your nose... isnt that a universal symbol ? Its just you know, a kind of saying "i know only too well whats happening here, and you know what i know and together were in the know. It could also mean "i know but im keeping it too myself"

Having it off - sex mostly.

One off - one of a kind (one in a million) eccentric¿

Dts - i may be wrong but isnt it the shakes (booze-related)

SRT patch - not the faintest idea.

Hope that helped mrtinks :-)

Yes One-off can mean both things, a person or event.

Dont other people say "one off" lol

Thanks guys. Im sure I have a lot more.....IF I could understand what they are saying.

But the more I watch this particular show, the more I can understand what they say. Its just getting used to their dialects.

But 'Dinner Ladies' is SO funny! There are some wickedly funny characters in this show.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Thanks guys. Im sure I have a lot more.....IF I could understand what they are saying.

But the more I watch this particular show, the more I can understand what they say. Its just getting used to their dialects.

But 'Dinner Ladies' is SO funny! There are some wickedly funny characters in this show.

Lol, that's cause Americans don't have to learn outside Verbiage. The rest of us do, because America is sooo special Wink (I'm messin lol)

I love how you use Wicked in there ^o^, that's a word we share with the Brits (it meaning cool). We should do a whole thread about Slang :p . I love it :3

Seems like Tinks is Piss-Proud over his learning Brit Chat Wink ....the Yanks... Rofl

QueenOdi Wrote:Lol, that's cause Americans don't have to learn outside Verbiage. The rest of us do, because America is sooo special Wink (I'm messin lol)

I love how you use Wicked in there ^o^, that's a word we share with the Brits (it meaning cool). We should do a whole thread about Slang :p . I love it :3

Seems like Tinks is Piss-Proud over his learning Brit Chat Wink ....the Yanks... Rofl

We are Wicked special. ;-)

Richard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

partisan Wrote:Tapping your nose... isnt that a universal symbol ? Its just you know, a kind of saying "i know only too well whats happening here, and you know what i know and together were in the know. It could also mean "i know but im keeping it too myself"

Having it off - sex mostly.

One off - one of a kind (one in a million) eccentric¿

Dts - i may be wrong but isnt it the shakes (booze-related)

SRT patch - not the faintest idea.

Hope that helped mrtinks :-)

DTs is "Delirium tremens", is the most severe form of ethanol withdrawal manifested by altered mental status (global confusion) and sympathetic overdrive (autonomic hyperactivity), which can progress to cardiovascular collapse. DTs is a medical emergency with a high mortality rate, making early recognition and treatment essential.

I looked up SRT patch on Google but I don't think the answer I got is what it means in British slang, if it is in fact British slang at all.

The worst ones are UK urban slang. Young people in certain parts of UK cities like London and Birmingham practically speak their own language with words such as 'murc' (to murder), 'blud' (as in mate or buddy or friend), 'bare' (as in plenty or loads), 'respec' (as in respect), and more besides. I don't want to sound snobbish, especially since I am a working class guy myself, but I cannot understand what these kids are saying at all.