Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British slang.....
while watching the UK version of the tv version Shameless its difficult taking in all the new language. Somewhere in between a subtitled foreign film and something with an old Brooklyn NJ accent
[Image: MV5BMTM5MjUyNTg1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA2...4,317_.jpg]

On a visual sense the tagging you see in the cities, can you read it?
the US is getting quite sheltered, even say Toronto ca tolerance is more better allowing multiple culture to flourish in a urban city.
Keep in mind the population density in the UK is high, its an island after all

there have been several posts or one that just wont go away how texting is dumbing out the English language.

This is funny Big Grin

You don't hear it much now, but the use of rhyming slang was widespread in the East End of London. So if I said 'I fell down the apples and hurt me plates' you probably wouldn't know what I meant.

apples and pears is slang for stairs

plates of meat is slang for feet

and then they're abbreviated.

Brahms and Listz means drunk

Berkeley Hunt refers to a young lady

Aristotle is slang for bottle which is short for bottle and glass, so a kick up the Aris means a kick in your derriere.

Tulloni Wrote:The worst ones are UK urban slang. Young people in certain parts of UK cities like London and Birmingham practically speak their own language with words such as 'murc' (to murder), 'blud' (as in mate or buddy or friend), 'bare' (as in plenty or loads), 'respec' (as in respect), and more besides. I don't want to sound snobbish, especially since I am a working class guy myself, but I cannot understand what these kids are saying at all.

Yes, and this isnt english, there a bunch of bastards that dont know where they are.

Spellbound Wrote:You don't hear it much now, but the use of rhyming slang was widespread in the East End of London. So if I said 'I fell down the apples and hurt me plates' you probably wouldn't know what I meant.

apples and pears is slang for stairs

plates of meat is slang for feet

and then they're abbreviated.

Brahms and Listz means drunk

Berkeley Hunt refers to a young lady

Aristotle is slang for bottle which is short for bottle and glass, so a kick up the Aris means a kick in your derriere.

This is the old Cockney Rhyming Slang though, there is newer stuff thats been added over the years which most people don't even realise is Cockney Rhyming Slang yet use on a regular basis.

My favorite Britcom has been 'Keeping Up Appearances', although it's getting kind of old now. My recent favorite Brit show is 'EastEnders'.

Man, I really need to get to England one of these days, lol.

I love the word 'cheers', I believe it is very British, as well. It's a wonderful word, very positive and full of good vibes - a bit like the Jewish mazel tov. And it's more common that I thought, Londoners use it all the time.

gregs317 Wrote:My favorite Britcom has been 'Keeping Up Appearances', although it's getting kind of old now. My recent favorite Brit show is 'EastEnders'.

Man, I really need to get to England one of these days, lol.

Eastenders.... oh dear lord, you poor soul.

MisterLove Wrote:I love the word 'cheers', I believe it is very British, as well. It's a wonderful word, very positive and full of good vibes - a bit like the Jewish mazel tov. And it's more common that I thought, Londoners use it all the time.

Everyone says cheers, probably more so outside of London where English people still live.

And dont forget there was a 600,000 "white-flight" from london... (not my words, just a fact) half the people in kent are london born or have connections with london

partisan Wrote:Everyone says cheers, probably more so outside of London where English people still live.

And dont forget there was a 600,000 "white-flight" from london... (not my words, just a fact) half the people in kent are london born or have connections with london

Most of the people who live in London are British.
I'm sorry if they don't live up to your standards.