Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Busy week ahead for gay rights in the U.S.A.
Next week hopefully will be monumental for us as we have the U.S. Supreme Court taking up the constitutionality of California's Prop 8 which specifically bans gay marriage in California, and DOMA (The Defense of Marriage Act) which the federal government uses as the legal means to strip constitutional rights from American Citizens.

These are both horrid laws, highly influenced by individual interpretations of religion, that discriminate and should have never been written. The U.S. Supreme Court is highly divided on these issues, both by their religious and political beliefs. Obviously, this should not be the case as the chief justices are not supposed to be biased or let religion affect their interpretation of the Constitution.

I'm hoping that the justices can remember a little part of the U.S. Constitution called the First Amendment, which states that it is illegal to allow religion to dictate law!

Quoting Thomas Jefferson "Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.

Limiting marriage to heterosexual couples only, prevents homosexual couples from enjoying the basic everyday rights that heterosexual couples take for granted. While I could write on and on about this, I think I'll just cite one example of a woman's getting screwed out of an inheritance by simply being gay! Despite her living with her partner for 42 years!!,in this case, she had to pay out $363,000 in estate taxes simply because her partner was not male!:mad:

http://www.newnownext.com/edith-windsors...e/03/2013/

By the way. I think I'll be wearing my 2011 Gay Pride t-shirt on Tuesday and Wednesday and show my support for what I think is right! Mexicanwave

I won't make any predictions, but I'm very hopeful of a good outcome.

well they will hear arguments. Bet there will be lots of conjecture on what how they ask the questions. I am not sure the process bit i hear their decision is in May-June?

first argument is the prop8 case, next day the doma trial. Since they are inter related again interesting to see what questions they ask on one if it relates to the next

Good luck. We are waiting for our bill to be passed it's passed the first reading here n.n

Lets all cross are fingers, and hope for the best in both cases.