Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot Install Adobe Flash Player
Wow, [MENTION=2362]Genersis[/MENTION] I haven't heard from you for ages! It's good to see you back.

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], I downloaded Superantispyware but similar thing happened to it. Double clicked the installer. Nothing comes out of it.

I'm downloading malwarebytes now.

Jay Wrote:Wow, [MENTION=2362]Genersis[/MENTION] I haven't heard from you for ages! It's good to see you back.

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], I downloaded Superantispyware but similar thing happened to it. Double clicked the installer. Nothing comes out of it.

I'm downloading malwarebytes now.

Forgot to ask, what kind of Anti-virus / security software do you have. It could possibly be blocking execution (although they are supposed to give you some sort of notification), might try turning it off.

There is also a Microsoft Fix-It program that is supposed to fix some problems relating to the Windows Installer service...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/mats..._uninstall
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Genersis Wrote:I used to have problems similar to that a long time ago.

I WAS going to say that running the installer as an administrator normally got it working for me, but if I remember right, Windows XP doesn't have that as a right-click option.
My bad. :redface:

That is very much true...in Windows XP's case the only thing that can happen is that you have a Limited account which would cause some of Jay's problems but nothing happening when trying to run them is a bit interesting...
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

There was a problem a while back with running certain browsers. As I recall, Firefox and Flash did not get along...???
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:There was a problem a while back with running certain browsers. As I recall, Firefox and Flash did not get along...???

There might have been but running outdated browsers or browser plug-ins (e.g. Java, Flash) will cause problems.

What doesn't make sense is that [MENTION=21041]Jay[/MENTION] isn't able to run the installer for these, so either something is blocking them (like antivirus) or there's a problem with the Windows installer service... I mean it sounds like he can run programs, so it isn't a file association issue...

There was some crummy malware that went around a few years ago that would change the file association for .EXE files which are Windows executable.... see programs, documents all have a file extension, and .EXE tells windows that it is an executable, .DOC tells windows it is a word document, so if something comes along and tells windows an .EXE file is a word document every time you try to launch a program, Microsoft Word pops up with jibberish. So that's something else we need to rule out.

Shortcuts on the desktop have a .LNK extension, most of the time you don't see the extension on those but those could still be fine and .EXE have issues...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION], I'm using Avast for antivirus.

So far, I don't have problem to download and install most programs except Flash and Superantispyware (That I know of). I was able to download and install Kapersky and Malwarebytes after I failed to install Flash and Superantispyware. I installed Kapersky just to test installation.

Malwarebytes is scanning my computer right now.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks.

[MENTION=21041]Jay[/MENTION] What programs did install, just curious... Some installers have their own installer, others depend on the Windows Installer Service as a means to install...
Check out my stuff!

[MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]

I was able to install:

- Malwarebytes
- Kapersky

I was not able to install:

- Flash (Didn't execute after double click)
- Jave (Didn't execute after double click)
- Superantispyware (Didn't execute after double click)

P/S: I already scanned my computer with Malwarebytes. It found nothing.

axle2152 Wrote:However, if your computer has suddenly become slower may want to check the SMART status of the hard drive. SMART is a self diagnostic built into hard drives to help predict failure before it happen so you can save data before the hard disk fails. A tool I like is called Speedfan...

go to http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and download and install Speed Fan... Run the program and click on the SMART tab, select the hard drive in the drop down list and click on "Perform Online In-Depth Analysis" get a screen shot of the page and attach to your post.
[MENTION=21041]Jay[/MENTION] If your computer has become way way slower recently like in the last 2 weeks. I would recommend running Speedfan if you can install it. If not I would go ahead and get Service Pack 3 installed, there are probably a good 200+ updates that are missing along with the Service Pack, so aside there being some weird issue with Windows Installer Service could just be missing an update...

Service Pack 3 -- https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...aspx?id=24

The download is large, 300+ MB in size... Installation should take less than 1 hour. Do not shut off your computer, it is also best to install on a quiet system (i.e. don't actively use the computer/ run other programs).
Check out my stuff!

Noted, [MENTION=23180]axle2152[/MENTION]. I will install the speed fan.

To let you know, I did a system restore last night. The computer becomes fast like before. But Firefox is no longer working. When I clicked Firefox, a pop out message appears - "Couldn't Load XPCOM".

This error has occurred before in the end of Dec. I was trying to install a game from Steam for the first time. Unfortunately Steam crashed my computer and I had to do system restore. Next thing I know, Firefox was no longer working. 'Couldn't Load XPCom' error appeared.

I have two web browsers in my computer; Firefox (Default) and Chrome. I tested Chrome and it works fine. It only affects Firefox.