Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case of a 'functional' HIV cure in a child.
"Researchers in the United States today said that they have identified a case of a 'functional' HIV cure in a child infected with HIV who began antiretroviral treatment within days of birth. The child has now been off treatment for over a year, and although HIV DNA has been detected at very low levels in the child’s cells, the virus is not reproducing." (From aidsmap.com).

Encouraging news, but we need to remember that the HIV infection mechanism in infants is slightly different from that of an adult and there have been reported cases in the past of young children going on to test Negative for HIV after being born to a HIV+ mother.

A child can become infected with HIV if he or she is born to a HIV+ Mother when HIV passes the Placenta, during delivery when the infant comes in to contact with HIV infected blood and cervical secretions, or when an infected mother breast feeds her child.

Lets hope this latest development is the much hoped for breakthrough in the fight against HIV/AIDS

http://www.aidsmap.com

there is a cure out there but wonder at what cost.

If I'm not mistaken this would be the second "HIV cure" to be added to medical literature within the last decade.
While I'm over the moon knowing that this child can now have a "Normal" childhood is brilliant.
But in the case of treating adults I believe they've already found a treatment path plan that will eliminate the virus completely from the body but have and will keep it hushed due to the multi million dollar industry loosing its turn over.

I remember the news about the first "cured" adult but think that was another special case *dont remember the specifics!!! Can anyone pull up the facts?

I am a HepC survivor (they use "cured" in the quotation marks). As everyone knows the meds for HIV/AIDS are very toxic, same with HepC! They disabled me for life! Who knows what HepC would have done long term as I had immediately stopped even drinking the small amount of alcohol I drank upon learning of the C. A biopsy showed minimal liver scaring.

Knowing of the HepC community and how they advocate strongly, and how in the past the HIV/AIDS/gay community advocate very strongly - if there was even a hint of a cure the doors would be open wide to it all!

The first HIV test drugs were fast released due to advocacy!

The baby/infant who was cured was also a very special case. Usually when a baby is born with HIV they are put on a very mild course of drugs. This baby was put on the full strength immediately. I am not sure why the risk was taken since they are so toxic!

Another difference is that the babies are usually kept on the course for life but the mother stopped showing up at her docs office and the social worker went to get her... the baby was off the meds for many months but was basically free of HIV. Certainly a miracle and one hopes the child will be free of any horrific sides.

Anderson Cooper interviewed the head of the USA govt health HIV/AIDS dept. I actually met this amazing doc while in a study of gay men in Pittsburgh. He said that this cure of this baby has nothing to do with a cure of adults who are not born with HIV as it is a totally different carrier method (I believe that was his basic message about this babies cure)... I am sure that one can find the interview on CNN.

The first "cure" was in Berlin. An HIV+ American male was being treated with normal anti-HIV drugs. He developed leukemia, he underwent a bone marrow transplant. The doctor found a donor who had a rare genetic mutation that makes a person resistant to HIV infection. Doctors have tried this on more patients but none of the others survived their cancer.

For this little girl being functionally cured (think remission), doctors are thinking since she was given anti-retroviral drugs so early this prevented the virus from seeding in her white blood cells.

In HIV+ patients, it's the dormant HIV hidden in cells that causes the disease to restart if patients stop their medications.

Azulai, the so-called cured adult was one Timothy Brown who also came to be known as the "Berlin Patient"

avert.org - 3rd Paragraph... (http://www.avert.org/the-road-to-an-hiv-...istory.htm)

American Scientist: (http://www.americanscientist.org/science...-confusion)

this sounds like something out of a sifi movie :O
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]