Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Circumcision
I'm totally against it, it's pretty much a barbaric and pointless practice as far as I'm concerned. Sadly, I'm circumcised. If I had a child, I would not get them circumcised at all.

This is a touchy debate(sic), but I think it still should remain a choice for the parents and not the medical institution. Then religious and personal beliefs can be upheld. I am circumcised and its a funny thing now i think about it, coz a 'straight' mate and I had a discussion about whether we had lost sensitivity due to lack of skin... We concurred that the answer was yes... ha ha.

Allowing something simply because it is your personal or religious belief to do such a thing is no excuse for mutilation.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

rofunk23 Wrote:This is a touchy debate(sic), but I think it still should remain a choice for the parents and not the medical institution. Then religious and personal beliefs can be upheld ...
How can any personal or religious belief that condones chopping bits of living tissue off defenceless kids be a justification for mutilation?

Circumcision without thorough medical justification should be treated as criminal assault.

I'd consider having it done now only because I do get some level of.. discomfort from it being tight (Tmi) but yeh I don't think it should be forced upon but it shouldn't be ruled out in the same sentence - like now if I had it done I'm told I could scar quite bad - where as if I did as a child I wouldn't of Tongue
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

rofunk23 Wrote:I think it still should remain a choice for the parents and not the medical institution. Then religious and personal beliefs can be upheld.

The parents' beliefs can be upheld, I am not sure about the patient's beliefs. Also how far does that argument go? Should we respect the beliefs of parents who think their child should have a large scar on his/her back in the shape of a crucifix?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Medical practitioners have in the past removed the appendix, tonsils and teeth pre-emptively. They tend not to do it any more.

Twazzle Wrote:I'd consider having it done now only because I do get some level of.. discomfort from it being tight (Tmi) but yeh I don't think it should be forced upon but it shouldn't be ruled out in the same sentence - like now if I had it done I'm told I could scar quite bad - where as if I did as a child I wouldn't of Tongue
Not so sure about that, a botched job is a botched job... at whatever age.... But who's to say how any boy's penis will turn out in adulthood? For how many boys does phimosis prove to be a discomfort, how do the numbers tally with the number of non chosen circumcisions???

colinmackay Wrote:I think we could come to a compromise. Religions can keep their ritualistic mutilation if they accept that any that go wrong will result in charges being brought ranging from assault to murder depending on the outcome. The child will still be able to sue for assault even if the procedure was a "success", took place without their consent and it took place before they reached the age of majority.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
I like that argument, Colin; Can you imagine, an army of angry young adults sueing their parents or their religious leaders for punitive damage, lol.... ?? They'd find it hard to find all the money necessary to pay for such a crime.

I assume any adult experiencing the discomfort of phimosis has tried less drastic action

Can foreskin problems be treated without circumcision?

With some comments from someone who suffered from the condition

Phimosis Treatment