Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coffee machines + Amazing invention from Germany
My previous thread on coffee machines is now closed, so I decided to start a new one.

I'm still looking for the perfect coffee machine and I have no idea what to buy.

There are 4 machines that caught my attention.

I love versatility and these espresso / drip coffee combi machines from DeLonghi are just that:

http://www.delonghi.com/en-us/products/c...kers/combi

This one from Cuisinart is not so versatile but it allows you to preserve the freshness and temperature of the coffee for hours:

https://www.cuisinart.com/ipad/products/...dtc-975bkn

The famous Aeropress machine seems to be a great space saver and extremely easy to clean:

http://www.aeropress.com/

The last one is a wonderful invention from Berlin, Germany, the world's first roast-grind-brew coffee machine:

http://www.bonaverde.com/

This seems interesting but how easy is it to find fresh coffee beans? And is the taste actually better?

Which one of these do you prefer?

Is there a machine that can heat water, make coffee, tea and other hot drinks?

I liked DeLonghi a lot, but dude I've always trusted German high-quality and super-tech inventions.

Okay, I'm somewhat of a coffee aficionado, so bear with me.

Those $200 espresso machines are basically worthless. This is coming from the assumption that you want espresso as good as you can get from a high-end coffee shop. Though they all claim to have internal temperature sensors and pressure gauges, the reality is that they are not even close to being accurate and the result is that your coffee is over extracted and burned. Coffee is very sensitive and a good espresso takes a precise temperature and pressure for optimal extraction. People don't realize this because they never make espresso at home and are used to flipping a switch on a drip machine.

The Aeropress is the best product you linked, IMO. Some people may think I'm crazy because of how cheap it is. Cost doesn't matter. A good french press costs only $30. A moka pot (for really strong coffee similar to espresso) is about $50. A pour over is $20. A chemex is $30. All of these make fantastic coffee, depending on what you like to drink.

If you want an espresso machine, I recommend saving up $600 and buying a Silvia. Expensive, you say? Not if you buy coffee at cafes all the time and decide to make it at home instead. But yeah, this might be WAY out of your price range if you don't care about good espresso.

So my question for you is: What kind of coffee do you drink most often. What do you want to make at home?

I can give you some excellent recommendations based on this.

Many of my friends have been in the coffee business for years and I've learned absolutely everything from them. My best friend manages a major upscale cafe. (Not Starbucks - better)

yes, but...does it enlarge your penis?

Percolator.

Been using one for like forever....

Uneunsae Wrote:Okay, I'm somewhat of a coffee aficionado, so bear with me.

Those $200 espresso machines are basically worthless. This is coming from the assumption that you want espresso as good as you can get from a high-end coffee shop. Though they all claim to have internal temperature sensors and pressure gauges, the reality is that they are not even close to being accurate and the result is that your coffee is over extracted and burned. Coffee is very sensitive and a good espresso takes a precise temperature and pressure for optimal extraction. People don't realize this because they never make espresso at home and are used to flipping a switch on a drip machine.

The Aeropress is the best product you linked, IMO. Some people may think I'm crazy because of how cheap it is. Cost doesn't matter. A good french press costs only $30. A moka pot (for really strong coffee similar to espresso) is about $50. A pour over is $20. A chemex is $30. All of these make fantastic coffee, depending on what you like to drink.

If you want an espresso machine, I recommend saving up $600 and buying a Silvia. Expensive, you say? Not if you buy coffee at cafes all the time and decide to make it at home instead. But yeah, this might be WAY out of your price range if you don't care about good espresso.

So my question for you is: What kind of coffee do you drink most often. What do you want to make at home?

I can give you some excellent recommendations based on this.

Many of my friends have been in the coffee business for years and I've learned absolutely everything from them. My best friend manages a major upscale cafe. (Not Starbucks - better)

Oh, my.

*Surreptitiously moves his drive-thru iced vanilla coffee behind his back*

Haha, no worries my friend. Trust me, I get made fun of plenty for only drinking decaf. I have a caffeine sensitivity. Smile

Uneunsae Wrote:[...]

[...]

Thanks for you reply, Sweetie.

Well, I don't really know. I love all types of coffee and I'm no expert in the field BUT if I had to choose just one, I think I'd go with a drip coffee machine and no espresso.

The ideal solution would be to combine all types of coffee in one great machine and impress my guests. Smile

You're quite welcome!

I think the best place to begin would be a moka pot or aeropress. Personally, I love moka pot. When it's brewing, your house fills with a strong delicious smell of coffee. It's very strong, not quite espresso, but very strong and the caffeine will be like a punch in the face! I always warn people because of my own sensitivity to coffee. But a moka pot gives a very full flavour, unlike drip coffee from machine. It's used commonly in Italy. You can add hot water to make yourself an Americano (which is more like a drip coffee but with more flavour) or hot milk to make a nice au lait. http://www.bialetti.com/www.bialetti.com..._7_22.html

An aeropress is great, too! Because of the filter, it will create a very "clean" cup of coffee with no traces of grounds or oil. Depending on your taste, you may or may not prefer this. I kind of like my coffee a tad oily. The upside to an aeropress is that it's just fun to use if you like gadgets (vs charming quality of a moka pot). It will still be thicker than drip coffee and quite strong, but not as strong as the moka pot.

Regardless of either choice, you need a good conical grinder which can grind very finely. This is very important as if the grind is not right, you won't get good coffee. You should never use a burr grinder (the kind with the blade) because it literally chops up the beans instead of grinding them. As a result, the pieces are extremely uneven in size and shape which is bad for your coffee. There is no possible way to get an even extraction from them. Most grinders that you pick up at Target, Wal*Mart or equivalent shops aren't going to do the job (unless they've started carrying better models). I have the Bodum model here: http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/10903-01US/. You can often get them on sale for $120. It seems like a lot of money, but you'll be extremely pleased with it and it will last for years and years. Mine is 3 years old and still like new. And your coffee maker, whichever you decide on, will last a long time, too.

I hope this helps and wasn't too much information at once.

Smile

I'll put in a good word for the Moka pot. Handy little gadgets that produce a good cup with little fuss (*a necessity on a sleepy morning) and little expense. The secret is to use medium heat so that the steam builds nicely. they also work well with ordinary grocery store coffee--fine grind if you can get it--and for parsimonious me that is important.
I bid NO Trump!