Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out on Facebook? Good? Bad?
So on October 11, otherwise know as national coming out day, I want to come out to everyone on Facebook. I would like to know if you think this is a good way to post it. I have told a total of 7 friends already and my immediate family.

So I wanted to start off by saying if you don't like me after reading this that's your decision but I'm gonna just do me. Over the past couple months I have accepted a lot of things about myself. I wouldn't of been able to get through this without the support of my closest friends and family members through this journey. I was scared of who I really am, i have even tried to hide the truth, but now I see I can't hide from myself and I need to come to terms with myself. I was scared of what society and my family and friends would think. I know I may lose some friends and maybe even some family because of this but I don't care, because I now see that if they can't accept me for who I am they don't deserve to know me. I'm sorry if you feel affronted because i didn't tell you in person but this way is quicker and easier, So in honor of today I officially announce ; I am gay!

people might think you're kidding

"i'm gay" is probably the most common facebook status put up by people when they're on their friend's account

Not the worst way to come out but like megumidesu said some may think its a joke because I have seen my straight friends post that they are gay because a friend hacks there account. For those who do not believe you oh well I guess. What matters is that those close to you will listen and support you.

Well it depends on how serious you want it to be.

If you want it to bee light hearted and play on the fact that alot of people saying "I'm gay" as a joke status, maybe you should do the opposite.

"I'm straight!.... Haha Joking"

The way I "came out" on Facebook was simply by putting my "interested in" section as "men". Easy as that. I don't have it up anymore, as it's not really anyone's business and the people who know me know I'm gay already.

People are just gonna think your account got hacked.

DO NOOOOOOT come out on facebook. It's tacky and lame.

Jasonwhalen Wrote:So on October 11, otherwise know as national coming out day, I want to come out to everyone on Facebook. I would like to know if you think this is a good way to post it. I have told a total of 7 friends already and my immediate family.

So I wanted to start off by saying if you don't like me after reading this that's your decision but I'm gonna just do me. Over the past couple months I have accepted a lot of things about myself. I wouldn't HAVE been able to get through this without the support of my closest friends and family members through this journey. I was scared of who I really am, i have even tried to hide the truth, but now I see I can't hide from myself and I need to come to terms with myself. I was scared of what society and my family and friends would think. I know I may lose some friends and maybe even some family because of this but I don't care, because I now see that if they can't accept me for who I am they don't deserve to know me. I'm sorry if you feel affronted because i didn't tell you in person but this way is quicker and easier, So in honor of today I officially announce ; I am gay!

First of all, I corrected a common error.

Smile

Second, <high five> for your decision to come out and give props to your friends and family.

Have you ever heard the expression: "Wrong execution of the right idea"?

You have the right ideas! That is to say, you're secure enough to live YOUR life. You're grateful for your friends and family who support you. And you want to support a cause that's important to you (Coming Out Day).

But social media can be a little brutal at times. As already noted, some people may not take your words as you mean them. And of course, ACTIONS always speak louder than words.

Think about this: how about simply changing your pic to the equality logo. Last year it was all over FB. That is a deliberate action made by you that sends a clear message. It's also kind of "nuanced", or subtle.

You can be more "in their face" if it's more your style. Or just sort of make a quiet signal about what's important to you and let everyone else figure out the rest.

Good luck and congratulations.
Smile

[Image: Equality.jpg]

Facebook sucks! too personal for me

I have been out for a little over two years and i didn't mess with face book.