Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming out to my best friend
I had a long talk with my friend of 23 years last night. Known him since we were 13. In all that time I never talked about liking guys or really gave him any clue apparently.

Long story short, I managed to work it into the conversation finally after all this time. He was pretty stunned, but I didn't lose my best friend like I thought I might. It's good to know he's exactly the guy I always believed him to be.

This was tearing me up for years, that I was holding back in all our conversations. When I came back to Ohio he and his wife took me in until I got my own place, and I was fresh from a breakup that I couldn't talk to them about.

I think, at our age and with everything that has happened in our past, this is not going to be that much of a stumbling block. This guy has been like a brother to me for half my life. Of the people I've come out to, this was second in importance only to my kids, and frankly it was even harder to do. But I'm so damn relieved today I can't even describe it.

Congratulations you have a very good friend. Smile
An eye for an eye

Congratulations are in order...

it really helps the rest of us in the hiding to see that the bond of friendship can be strong enough to endure such a revelation after many years...

you have an amazing friend, and you are a very lucky man

I'm glad to hear you have come to be very happy just as you are Confusedmile:

keep it up

You're very brave, I give you a lot of credit...

We've been texting back and forth all day now. The guy has always been able to make me laugh, and he still is. We're going back through personal history and getting to see things in a different light, and I think it's great.

There was this time years back, when I was very much closeted but really no longer in denial. Four of us went to Blossom to see the B-52's and the GoGo's in concert. We got invited to this after concert party by some wierd looking girl and decided to go.

We get to the place and it turns out to be a bar called...drumroll...CockTails. No cover charge but there was a donation jar for Aids research at the door. Poster of a fireman in a speedo on the back of the door. I knew right away, gay bar. Funny thing was, my three straight friends seemed completely oblivious.

So for the next hour we're sitting around on the patio sipping beers as I'm grinning like the cat that ate the canary at my best friend, his brother in law, and our other friend who's fresh out of the Navy. The longer it went, the funnier it's getting to me. Eventually during a pause in the conversation one of them asks, "So what the fuck is this a gay bar or something?" and I'm like, "Shit yeah, you mean you guys didn't realize it?". OMG they were pissed at me for not saying anything, but it's still one of the funniest memories I have.

Anyway, we kind of relived that scene today, and he finally got the other levels of the joke that were just lost on everybody but me for all these years.

Congratulations for finding the strength and the faith to come out.

Very happy for you that is worked in your favour, well done mate Wink

Well done! Similarly, my hardest for coming out was my kids, my mother, and my best friend from high school. My best friend took it well. He is fairly conservative, and was uncomfortable with another close high school friend who came out in college. We remain best friends, live on opposite sides of the country but still make a point of getting together every year.

I love your story about the gay bar!