Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covering letters!
It feels like all i'm talking about is jobs these days.

Anyway following on from my not so successful job interview on Friday, i'm now applying for a different position, however it requires a CV and covering letter as opposed to the online application form i'm used to.

I've never done a covering letter before, and i'll be honest i don't really know where to start. I've found a lot of examples online, but i was wondering if anyone had any excellent tips or ideas as to how i could make it good?

To be honest in my covering letters I've basically said I would like to apply for job X, as advertised in Y, please find my enclosed CV, if you have any queries don't hesitate to contact me. Obviously, including address, email and phone number as well as all the other niceties of a formal letter.

But who knows, maybe I've been doing it wildly wrong.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Look on google for examples of cover letters that suit you best.

A cover letter is a basic paragraph about why your the best candidate for the position and your strengths.

Sure!

Taylor both your CV and cover letter to the position you are applying for, outlining any relevant experience you feel makes you suitable for that position.

A lot also depends on weather you are applying speculatively (i.e. enquiring if there are any vacancies within that organization they feel you may be suitable for) or for a specific roll, or if the roll is a professional one or not. Your C.V. should be no more than two pages of A4 in 11 - 12 point Times New Roman, Areal or similar.

Include only your last 5 years work history and use bullet points rather than lengthy sentences.

How long do you have?

Can you take advantage of one of the free professional job seeker advise agencies like A4e?

I used to train and supervise people on New Deal who came to where I used to work as part of their programme on work-based placement. In my opinion Action For Employment (A4e) is one of the better organizations to approach.

My A4e - Home 0800 345 666 (Zero Eight Zero Zero - Three Four Five - Six Six Six) [Just in case telephone numbers are blocked on this site!).

If you need any more specific help, just shout!

And good luck! Xyxthumbs

a good thing to do is, when you finish writing up your CV and letter send it to someone you know friend/family member with experience in the corporate world.

My uncle was AWESOME in helping me with my CV and cover letter!

If you want send me a private message with some more details about the job, maybe I can write a few pointers Smile

The job of your letter is to interest the potential employer enough to want to meet you in an interview. It is not the time to sound desperate or, conversely, just like everyone else. Prove you can spell and construct your (short) letter in coherent sentences.

Good luck (again).

So if the letter is to get you the interview what is the CV for?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Same thing ... it's in the envelope, isn't it? :biggrin:

Hey Fred, a CV is to sum up your job experience or any other fact from your life that might be relevant. A cover letter is meant to make the personnel manager take notice of your application. So they don't really cover the same area. If your cover letter is bullsh*t, they probably won't even bother to read your CV. It's best to be short and fairly concise in the reasons why you are applying and why you may be a good (if not the best) candidate for the job. You need to give the impression that you'll be interested in doing the job and doing it well.