Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you use post nominal letters? Is it pretentious?
Hey guys,

I need some advice, basically I was awarded me degree yesterday and ontop of that "The Society of Biology" awarded me an honorary title and has given me some honorary letters after my name. Now I have a question is it pretentious to use these letters or is it the norm to use them on your letters and emails. See mine would be (my name) BSc(hons) AMSB. Does anyone of gayspeak use something like this?

Cheers

mrk2010 BSc(hons) AMSB. (joke)

I have degrees/letters/titles. Technically you can call me Doctor since I have a Doctorate in ministry. I rarely use the title/honors.

I do use the titles and honors when writing to clergy or other people when it comes to "religious stuff". Then its me throwing around the weight of my authority/superiority :tongue:.

Other than that I see no need to throw around the weight of my education. Mind you I did opt out of the God Business, It is kind of hard to explain to a person who's room you are re-dry-walling why exactly you are called 'Doctor'. :biggrin:

Many people don't know the extent of my letters, nor are they aware that they could (perhaps should) address me as Dr. ____________ instead of Mr. _________

I don't toot my own horn.

Lets put it this way, its wasn't until we were going through one of my old boxes that my partner discovered the extend of my education. And that was oh 6 years into our relationship.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:I have degrees/letters/titles. Technically you can call me Doctor since I have a Doctorate in ministry. I rarely use the title/honors.

I do use the titles and honors when writing to clergy or other people when it comes to "religious stuff". Then its me throwing around the weight of my authority/superiority :tongue:.

Other than that I see no need to throw around the weight of my education. Mind you I did opt out of the God Business, It is kind of hard to explain to a person who's room you are re-dry-walling why exactly you are called 'Doctor'. :biggrin:

Many people don't know the extent of my letters, nor are they aware that they could (perhaps should) address me as Dr. ____________ instead of Mr. _________

I don't toot my own horn.

Lets put it this way, its wasn't until we were going through one of my old boxes that my partner discovered the extend of my education. And that was oh 6 years into our relationship.

See I never thought about using my BSc hons because I thought it was a bit too over the top but his thing from the society the AMSB thing they are saying use it because it means you are a professional biologist. I thought it maybe good for jobs and stuff.

Companies that have an online web site to handle application will have an area to list awards, patents, etc. list these there and on your CV resume.

Recent grad so your education awards are important

First let me congratulate you sir!

If you've earned something, use it to your benefit. (Resume'; Letters; etc.)

This applies to business only, of course. Certainly your friends should not have to treat you differently. Be humble with friends and family. They're not paying you.

Hope that helps.

If someone just sent me a friendly letter or email just to say hi or something not serious or not business related and used the letters other than the way you just did (as in jokingly) I would judge them harshly and find it pretentious and there's nothin I hate more than pretentious. :K Lol. So unless it's like a professional/business kind of email or whatever I would leave them out.

Big Grin andand congrats!

spencer Wrote:If someone just sent me a friendly letter or email just to say hi or something not serious or not business related and used the letters other than the way you just did (as in jokingly) I would judge them harshly and find it pretentious and there's nothin I hate more than pretentious. :K Lol. So unless it's like a professional/business kind of email or whatever I would leave them out.

Big Grin andand congrats!

Lmao I don't think I'd do that to friends they'd be like wtf? Haha

Laugh I was thinking about this topic several days ago. I think it is aimed toward business or organizational purposes.

I will have everyone address me as MLS after my name :biggrin:

Absolutely damn right you should use them in the relevant application - resumes, application letters, CV's any academic/professional reqiurement - yes!

However do not...and I MEAN do NOT use them as so...

"Dear Santa,
Pleaseyweasey can I have the new justin beeba seedee and a new fluffy kitten and a new i fone.

Lots of Love
[Name] BSc(hons) AMSB"

Big Grin