Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did NOT see that coming.
So I told an old friend who lives in a different state now that I am gay, and they don't believe me...

They said that their uncle is gay and it was way harder for him to admit it than it was for me. I just don't know what to say to that. Did I not sound distraught enough? Are we supposed to sound worried and on our last leg when we tell people? Wth!

I did not see this coming.

Well when I came out at school people said I was only saying it to get with the chicks (if I were straight it would be a good plan). Don't let it bother you too much it may take time for some people to get their heads around it. And there is no way that you have to come out there is no real right way. Just come out how you fell most comfortable.

Hey,
Reactions to coming out can be different to those you expect. I remember one work colleague I told when I first came out refused to believe it saying that I couldnt be because I had the wrong ear pierced to be gay.

Give that friend a few days and then speak to them again. They may believe you, or they may still say it cant be true. After a while they will realise that its not a joke.

All the same, its good practice and a good start, and at least you didnt get a massive bad reaction. Confusedmile:

Don't worry when I came out there were a few pepople that didn't believe me. It's only a matter of time before they take you seriously.

Luck of the draw. You could just as well have come out first to someone who would have accepted without question, or have been very unlucky and tapped a complete 'phobe, although I suspect your instincts would have guided you away from the latter.

I found coming out took a lot of practice. I had a whole range of reactions from "is that all?" "I've always wondered" and "I thought you were going to tell me that months ago" to "I don't believe you" and, of course, divorce papers. The more people I told, the better I got at saying what I wanted to say. Nowadays it is mostly sufficient to engage in normal conversations, but just use masculine pronouns when talking about my partner.

Well done, by the way Smile

Thanks for the support. It helps a lot just hearing what other people have done/gone through.

I actually had some people ask me at my last job. I denied it at the time, but I've always suspected they weren't throughly convinced.

...and divorce papers, yikes. :eek:

I got a simmilar reaction when i told my friend.
Me: I'm Gay
Friend: Are you joking? Beacause its not funny.
Me: I'm not.
Me: Joking I mean, deffinatly gay
Friend: Well i'm cool with that
ECT ECT ECT.....
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

like others are saying, there are many reaction, if you take it from your friends point of view - he just recieved a phone call from his straight acting mate who he has known for a long time only to be told he is actualy gay - there's not like a prepared speach for that kind of call Confusedmile:, i've found most replies are short, i.e simply ok, i already knew, dont worry...it doesnt change a thing - they usually ask all the questions the next time you meet or speak to that person, give him a ring again another time and confirm your statement to coming out and hopefully he will have accepted it by then - good luck and well done m8

it is very bad if them not belive you. say yes i am gay!

My friend said that he knew I was a gay from a young age when I bought a Simon & Garfunkel CD! Only thing was that I hadn't had a sexual thought at that point and just like watching The Graduate once in a while.