Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disabled... but lookng for a love.
Hey guys. I'm gay and recently came out. I'm 30 and in a wheelchair due to a disorder called osteogensis imperfecta. It's basically a brittle bone disorder.. like in the movie unbreakable (starring samual l jackson and bruce willis). Anyway, I live a fairly normal life but am looking for a boyfriend. I'm slightly depressed because I can't find anyone. If anyone is interested send me a message. Hope to hear from you! Again I'm from washington state./

Hi Tyrion.

Hope you find the guy for you!!

Love happens when it happens.

Protip: Love tends to wait until is very inconvenient for you to be in a relationship, or when you have completely sworn off of relationships, then it sneaks up behind you and proceeds to beat you with a baseball bat.

You are completely depressed about the matter. Uncertain if you actually have depression or if you are using the word the wrong way. IF you are using the word to say 'I'm sad' and you are not actually depressed, I would ask that you refrain from doing this, as it tends to make depression seem to be nothing more than a passing mood. Those with depression already struggle to get recognition and acceptance as having a real debilitating disorder.

IF on the other hand you really have depression, then perhaps the last thing you need in your life is the confusion and problems that a relationship would bring you.

A man or a lover will not be the 'fix' you may think it may be for your emotional issues, often enough people seem to reach out to this 'cure all' to discover that this 'cure' only makes things worse.

As for being in a wheel chair and finding love. Lets be honest about this shall we?

People who have disabilities - any disability, do find it harder to find 'a lover' - its even harder in the gay world since so many gays are shallow and want to find the 'perfect man' and lets face it a cane, a crutch, a wheel chair are not symbols of perfection and are rarely seen as being part and parcel of 'the perfect man'. I fear most gays are pretty damn shallow and expect muscle, shaved chest, and a nice tan to go with a 100% perfectly functioning body (and mind).

So yes its going to be harder for you to find a lover.

There is a darker side here. The hard cold reality is that the type of person who most likely will be drawn to you will see you as a potential victim. Opening yourself up to the world wide web is a dangerous thing and I would strongly suggest you do not put it out there that you are seeking a BF and that you are depressed if you can't find one.

Victimization of the lonely is on the rise on the WWW. Catfishing is very popular and has made a steady impact on media. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Perhaps the best way to go about is to get out there and get more active in the LGBT thing: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=LGB...rt+Angeles

Being physically out there and meeting people face to face greatly reduces the chances of your being set up and harmed.

What you really need at this time is a network of LGBT friends and of course Straight friends who are tolerant/supportive of LGBT. Since you recently came out, you most likely are blind to a lot of the pitfalls and problems that being an LGBT individual in the 'gay scene' can present.

I suggest you aim for making friends in your local LGBT community and put off this notion of finding a lover until you get a better grasp of the LGBT community.

A network of buddies/friends will also open doors to introducing you to nice people, others will weed out the horrors and monsters which lurk in every dark and no so dark corner of the world.

If you have depression, I strongly urge you to seek professional help for that FIRST, before you get involved with a lover. Trust me, bringing depression into a romance never ends well.

Welcome to the GS squad!

Lex

Hang in there. The best thing you can do is get out, socialize and meet guys. Don't give up and don't let depression dominate you by making you retreat and give up.

hello and welcome I am so happy to meet you !

Welcome to GS Wavey

Hello from another wheelchair guy, good luck

I'm absolutely certain that you'll find the right person eventually. Keep your chin up and just be yourself. Unfortunately, I think there may always be a few people who look at your condition and feel uncomfortable with the fact that you're wheelchair-bound, but anyone with half a heart (and a brain) will look past that and see you as the wonderful person that you are.

Hey I got Becker's Muscular Dystrophy, I know what you mean, Im slowly needed a wheelchair.