Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discrimination stories
Have you ever been discriminated against on the job or in public, because of your sexuality? I personally quit school and am homeschooled, partially due to the homophobic people that went to the public school I attended. Has anyone ever made you feel uncomfortable? How did you deal with it? Share your stories. I always love hearing from you all! Wink

My father is a right-wing Christian maniac who hates pretty much everything on the planet. Gays, African-Americans, Atheists, Liberals....the list goes on.

Anyway, when I came out to him, he flat out, in no uncertain words told me I was dead to him. That if he were still in my life he would have me sent to a rehab clinic that those psychotic Christians use to try and convert gays to heterosexuality. Furthermore, he told me if I was dying in a gutter, he would step over me and keep walking without a qualm.

School wasn't too bad actually. Yeah, I heard the "that's so gay" and "you're a fag" lines constantly....and yes it annoyed the hell out of me, but it could have been much worse. There was no physical harassment of gays at my high school, or even serious verbal abuse. It was mainly stupid kids spouting stupid shit.

Apart from that, I haven't been too discriminated against. Once I was walking down the street with an ex of mine and someone threw a soda cup at us and called us "motherfucking faggots who should burn in hell" but that's the only instance of stranger abuse I've had.

Its a very long story that I don't much care to relate here, but when my mother and family found out I was gay, there was a major altercation which drove me from the house where I almost committed suicide that night. Thankfully she has accepted me as I am since.

Those really are the only major acts of discrimination I have encountered. All things considered, I'm luckier than others I suppose.

I am so sorry about your dad. :frown: At least you realise that there are a lot of people who love you no matter what. I feel that way here at Gayspeak. I'm so sorry somebody threw a soda cup at you and your ex, too. That's just rude! I am a little nervous to be completely out, but I think I'll be okay.

I've had a few run ins. the biggest was being legally disowned by my parents when I came out.

Being a truck driver, I got attacked a few time, usually just verbal. I came out of the shower once to find "Fag" painted on my truck. Got attacked twice, physically. Once put in the hospital after a flat-bedder decided the gay driver parked next to him made a good crow bar testing target.

Only really once, it was in my last job. The business owner was homophobic and always made it known how he feels about gays. I watched him go after another gay employee and basically ruin this guy, but did it all 'legally' as in he didn't utter the words 'Gay' in terminating this team members employment.

And the he came after me Wink he was sorry in the end that he even tried as I threw every peice of legislation that I could at him as he was technically breaching a contract of my employment by rostering me on for 18 days straight before my termination date. Ended up with 12 months severence pay with penalties included.

I thanked him very very much on my last day and politely informed him that I had 3 job offers and have accepted one of them that pays 75% more per hour than he was paying me and I started there the next day.

He went beetroot red with anger when he realised I turned something that he thought was making my life difficult into him doing me a really huge favour :-)

wintermoon Wrote:My father is a right-wing Christian maniac who hates pretty much everything on the planet. Gays, African-Americans, Atheists, Liberals....the list goes on.

Anyway, when I came out to him, he flat out, in no uncertain words told me I was dead to him. That if he were still in my life he would have me sent to a rehab clinic that those psychotic Christians use to try and convert gays to heterosexuality. Furthermore, he told me if I was dying in a gutter, he would step over me and keep walking without a qualm.

It really scares me to hear these things. I am sorry how it turned out for you and your dad and glad you worked things out with your mom. I haven't come out yet and your outcome is kind of what plays through my minds as my dads reaction. I don't think it will be that extreme but I have no idea. Just wish all parents could understand that we didn't choose to be this way. We just have to embrace it and make the best of it.

wintermoon Wrote:My father is a right-wing Christian maniac who hates pretty much everything on the planet. Gays, African-Americans, Atheists, Liberals....the list goes on.

What an incredibly sad man. I pity him.

You're a million times more of a man than he will ever know how to be. Bighug

Blue Wrote:I've had a few run ins. the biggest was being legally disowned by my parents when I came out.

Being a truck driver, I got attacked a few time, usually just verbal. I came out of the shower once to find "Fag" painted on my truck. Got attacked twice, physically. Once put in the hospital after a flat-bedder decided the gay driver parked next to him made a good crow bar testing target.

....holy shit! I'm glad you're still alive and with us Blue, and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Sometimes I'd like to wash my hands of the entire human race as a whole. But then I come across forums and people like you, and my belief that humanity is worth preserving is restored (if only for a small fraction of time)

Monk: I used to pity him, until I found out that he also beat my mother when she was pregnant (up to and including breaking her shoulder and slamming her head into the wall) Now I only wish a slow and terrible death on him.

I know this is stooping to his level, and hatred gets one nowhere in life... but I believe it was Hunter S. Thompson who once said "some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them"

Goof for you, dfiant! I'm happy to hear that! Blue, that's horrible! I'm so sorry you were attacked. :frown:

wintermoon Wrote:....holy shit! I'm glad you're still alive and with us

What, you think a crow bar is gong to take me down? Hardly, worse that has happened to this body and, I'm still in it.