Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel safe meeting people online?
Darius Wrote:It says the story from The Telegraph is no longer available. Maybe that applies only to the US?

OK, here's the text from the paper:

telegraph.co.uk
Man appears in court charged with four poison murders
By David Barrett, Home Affairs Correspondent, and Danny Boyle 12:39PM BST 19 Oct 2015

An alleged serial killer has appeared in court accused of drugging and murdering four young men he met on gay websites, and dumping their bodies in and around a churchyard in east London.

Stephen Port, 40, is accused of poisoning the four men, who were all in their 20s, in a spate of attacks over 14 months.

Mr Port, of Cooke Street, Barking in east London, has been charged with four counts of murder and four counts of administering a poison with intent to endanger life or inflict grievous bodily harm.

The churchyard of St Margaret's Church, North Street, Barking

It is alleged he invited the men back to his house where they were given large amounts of the party drug GHB which they overdosed on.

The bodies of two of the men were found by a dog walker less than a month apart in the churchyard of St Margaret's Church in North Street in Barking, while another was found near the ruins of Barking Abbey.

Port, who is blonde with a receding hairline, appeared in the dock at Barkingside Magistrates accompanied by three uniformed officers.

He spoke only to confirm his name, age and address during the brief hearing.

Wearing a prison issue grey tracksuit he held one of his arms and repeatedly glanced at the floor. He gave no indication of plea.

Mr Port is accused of killing Anthony Walgate, 23, a fashion and design student at Middlesex University who was originally from Hull but living in Barnet. Mr Walgate was pronounced dead on Cooke Street on June 19 last year.

He also allegedly murdered Gabriel Kovari, 22, originally from Slovakia but living in Lewisham. Mr Kovari's body was found by a dog walker near the churchyard of St Margaret's Church on August 28 last year.

Just under a month later, on September 20, the same dog walker discovered the body of Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent, near the same churchyard.

Port is also accused of killing Jack Taylor, 25, a forklift truck driver from Dagenham, whose body was found near the Abbey ruins close to North Street on September 14.

The deaths were not initially linked, but after further investigation they were referred to the Metropolitan Police homicide and major crime command on October 14.

Mr Taylor, who worked at a warehouse as a night duty forklift operator, had been out with friends on the Saturday evening before he was found dead.

Mr Walgate, originally from Hull, was a second-year art, fashion and design student at the University of Middlesex.

"Anthony was also a good friend. If he was friends with you, he would be your best mate"

The 23-year-old's parents, Tom Walgate and Sarah Sak, have previously spoken of their grief at the loss of their "funny" son.

Mrs Sak told the Hull Daily Mail: "He was very funny and had a wicked sense of humour. It was a very dry type of humour.

"Anthony was also a good friend. If he was friends with you, he would be your best mate."

Deputy District Judge Shlomo Kreiman remanded Mr Port in custody to appear at the Old Bailey on Wednesday.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I actually do have a fear of meeting guys from an online situation....especially the few guys that I had met and was just having a fun, platonic chat and within a matter of minutes...they are requesting if they come to my city and stay with me for a weekend. This is a huge concern for me due to a lot of crazy people out there and also...this topic is a very delicate situation for me because I lost one of my close friends to someone he met online in person and the guy not only robbed him but strangled him and left him hanging from the chandelier in the living room are nude. The tenant that lived below him got suspicious because the music was loud non stop and when he knocked on the door several times...he got no answer...the police found him and since this incident...whenever a online guy comes on strong as the guys that I've mentioned above...my red flags goes off big time...

I'm always cautious when I'm meeting someone online. It's always a good idea to meet in a public area several times first before moving on to more private areas, and even then you have to be careful. I feel like... the moment you move on to private areas, this person has to be nearing relationship material. I've had friends that hooked up with people after only trading 5 sentences. Really? Lol

But, no judge if you enjoy hooking up. Just be careful out there...

Deffo meet in a public place first time round. I also avoid people who use 'lol' like a full stop, or anyone who talks about meeting up after one line of conversation (usually involving 'how r u' or similar). Also anyone unwilling to provide photos of themselves, or people who use 'funny' mugs or t-shirts as profile images. Also anyone OVERLY fond of Minions. These people are distressing and I feel unsafe without having to meet them in person.
If someone understands my sense of humour then that's usually a good sign.
Gossip is the Devil’s telephone; best just to hang up.

Truthfully...I don't see any reason to meet anyone online....

I did once..had a very specific fantasy and it saved a lot of time and energy ...and it was perfect...and it only took a few hours after posting something to accomplish my very specific goal so that part was cool....

Other than that...I meet people in person all the time and it has never been a problem so I see no reason why meeting anyone online would even be an option.

...and I do like eye contact and checking out someone's vibe...both need to happen face to face

East Wrote:Truthfully...I don't see any reason to meet anyone online....

I did once..had a very specific fantasy and it saved a lot of time and energy ...and it was perfect...and it only took a few hours after posting something to accomplish my very specific goal so that part was cool....

Other than that...I meet people in person all the time and it has never been a problem so I see no reason why meeting anyone online would even be an option.

...and I do like eye contact and checking out someone's vibe...both need to happen face to face
Where do you go to meet other gay people? Just out of curiosity. I've had the opposite experience - no gays around here, haha.

Stevefs Wrote:Where do you go to meet other gay people? Just out of curiosity. I've had the opposite experience - no gays around here, haha.
Usually I go to truck stops...

They mostly come at night... Mostly

IanSaysHi Wrote:They mostly come at night... Mostly
People?
Or crabs?

Anocxu Wrote:People?
Or crabs?

Both I guess...