• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you garden?
[SIZE="5"]Do you have a garden?
What do you grow?
Why do you garden?
[/SIZE]

[Image: picking-veggies.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfghEQwlXF10_Di7Xk3Go...V5A-tTIOgw]

I did some Botany at the Zoo, mostly taking care of plants like Bambo and Hibiscus and what not for Animal Enclosure enrichments, rehabilitation tools(toys/enrichment), Habitat design and what not.

I used to grow like Strawberries, Rosemary, Sage, Basil, nothing too grand, as they were meant mostly for the animals to eat and use/explore with.

I've never done serious gardening, but when I am able to get myself situated in a new home(hopefully sooner rather than later), I wanna grow creeping vines by the windows, some Medical plants, as I've always had an interest in various medicines (Hence studying Veterinary Technology & Medicine), such as Barberry(Berbis Vulgaris) which is high with Vitamin C and good for like stomach issues and Aloe Vera, which is good for burns and also very good for hair, dreadlocks in particular and maybe some various kinds of flowers like our local Bermudiana flower.

And I heard from a lady here who is a master botanist/ natural remedy person, that nearly any kind of plant can grow here, so I shouldn't have too hard a time ^.^ but I'd need a license for nearly any foreign species of anything I'd want here lol, so Barberry could be difficult for me >.>
<3

I used to sort of when I lived with my grandmother during the summers, mostly it consisted of endless hours of weeding in the garden, gravel walkways (my knees literally bled) and picking up redundant materials like tens of thousands of pine needles from her pine trees. Sometimes she let me care for her plants because I was gentle with them, unlike my brother. I dreaded it in part because I was inpatient as a child/teenager, but also because it did get to be a little silly the things I was doing, but she told me I would make a good gardener.

Today, I keep small plants in my house and they're nice to me. I also think I may try growing some of my own food this spring or next.

Woollyhats Wrote:I used to sort of when I lived with my grandmother during the summers, mostly it consisted of endless hours of weeding and picking up redundent materials like tens of thousands of pine needles from her pine trees. I dreaded it, but she told me I would make a good gardener. I keep small plants in my house, and may try growing some of my own food this spring or next.

Totally jelly over here >.>

My house had horrible light, so I never bothered. Can I move in with you?

I'm good with kids and Animals lol :hugs-and-kisses-smi

Do You Have A Garden:

Yes, which is why I get a dozen+ seed catalogues in the mail; have a binder of all my plans (past, present, future); also must not forget the greenhouse

What Do You Grow:

I have a gazebo which I surround with 23 planters, varying flowers each year. I collect lilies, with a goal of collecting one in every variety possible, of which my next objective is the Nepalense (yep, I want a green liliy). I have an orchard with cherries, apricots, pears, grapes, kiwi (though the male needs to be replaced again… no wonder I don’t have a man when I keep killing him :p ), apples, plums, raspberries (red and gold; searching for black), black berries, lingon berries, and blueberries. Need to replace the strawberries this year. Yards or flower beds of which most will be summer fallowed again for weed control before I plant perennials and gravel them next year.

Flowers:
(some heritage seed some not)

Petunias are one my favourite flowers, especially the ones with the complimenting/contrasting veins; the other two being Lavatera (both Pink and Pink Blush, which complement each other nicely) and Salpiglossis with the gold veins. Other common flowers include: Lobelia, Bells of Ireland, Geraniums (love Orange Ice), Morning Glory for the clothes line poles (Carnivale) and the bird feeder pole (Sunspot), Nemophila (Five Spot, Insignis Blue and Penny Black), Petunias (dozens of colours and combos), Bunny Tail Grass, Poppies, Peppermint Zinnias and many, many others…
Starting on a list of perennials I want.

Veggies:

Only deal with tomatoes and peppers for the time being, though have been toying with the idea of trying rainbow carrots and Purple Russian potatoes.

(heritage seed)

Onions: globe and self-spreading

Tomatoes: Ferris Wheel, Hillbilly (orange and yellow blotched), Indigo Rose (purple), Mr. Stripey (yellow, red and orange streaked), White Beauty; paste variety, Russian Big Roma, Pirkstine Orange

Peppers: Black Hungarian, King of the North, Orange Bell… (planning on adding purple this year)

Why Do you Garden:

I have played in the garden since a child, having varying spells of which I actually planted and tended to things. As I got older and when I first moved to the country I developed a greater interest with the larger yard/garden and the tranquility of nature. My grandparents also had a large garden on their dairy farm. I plan on adding a pond/water fall near the gazebo so I may delve in aquatic plants for something different.

Free supply of fertilizer

I trim my pubic hair every now and again. Does that count?

Oh we're talking like farming? I thought we were talking about plants.

I tend to think Garden - > Plant
Farm -> Produce

oops my error Sheep

Wade Wrote:I trim my pubes every now and again? Does that count?

^ This

= Counted, but gross.

+ 1

= -1

:hugs-and-kisses-smi

)-; if only I could, but I only have a tiny balcony.

If i could, I would like to grow all the herbs.

Spring onions

Tomatoes

I don't really want too many flowers, because they look hard to maintain and don't serve too much purpose.

For years I grew several varieties of tomato's, habanero peppers (orange and red savina), and a mixture of herbs and other types of peppers each year in a 25X10' plot. Unfortunately after a long period of having a house and a nice yard, life put me back in a fairly small apartment for the time and I have been without my garden going on two years now. Really miss not only the end result of having a veggie herb garden but the time each day during the growing season dedicated to keeping up with it.