Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone find it weird to go to a concert alone?
I just bought Kim Gordon's new band Body/Head's album and I've been a big fan of hers and Sonic Youth's since I was a teenager, and I just found out that Body/Head is coming to my city a week from today. I'm seeing if my friend (and regular concert buddy) wants to go, but if she can't for some reason, I feel like I can't miss it just because of that. I mean, it's Kim Gordon. It's being held by a local art foundation in a warehouse which I've never been to, and I'm not so sure what the crowd is gonna be like, but I'm finding out tomorrow if my friend can go and if not I just plan on buying a ticket for myself and going. I've never gone to a concert alone before, although my friend left halfway through the last concert I attended, and it wasn't a big deal. Has anyone done this before? Is it awkward? I'm sure it's different depending on the show, but I presume there's gonna be a lot of artsy people and some snooty Sonic Youth fans from the '90s. I feel like I'll regret it if I don't go though, with or without someone, so I'm just gonna brave it on my own if she can't go with me. Anyone have any experiences with this?

It's not weird to go to a concert alone of you really want to see who's playing at the concert.
An eye for an eye

how often do you go to a concert and actually notice that people are in certain groups ?
everyone just kinda meshes together . no one would notice if you were on your own ~

I've gone to music events by myself dozens of times before.

It's not-so bad really and it gives you an opportunity to make friends
and talk to strangers you would never really talk to cause you're
hanging out with a friend.

And plus since you all like the same music, I'm sure you'd have
something to talk about it ;D

Have fun!

starbelly Wrote:I just bought Kim Gordon's new band Body/Head's album and I've been a big fan of hers and Sonic Youth's since I was a teenager, and I just found out that Body/Head is coming to my city a week from today. I'm seeing if my friend (and regular concert buddy) wants to go, but if she can't for some reason, I feel like I can't miss it just because of that. I mean, it's Kim Gordon. It's being held by a local art foundation in a warehouse which I've never been to, and I'm not so sure what the crowd is gonna be like, but I'm finding out tomorrow if my friend can go and if not I just plan on buying a ticket for myself and going. I've never gone to a concert alone before, although my friend left halfway through the last concert I attended, and it wasn't a big deal. Has anyone done this before? Is it awkward? I'm sure it's different depending on the show, but I presume there's gonna be a lot of artsy people and some snooty Sonic Youth fans from the '90s. I feel like I'll regret it if I don't go though, with or without someone, so I'm just gonna brave it on my own if she can't go with me. Anyone have any experiences with this?

Yes, I would go to concerts alone sometimes back in the 80's. I saw the band The Pogues alone in 1989. That was a great show for any reasons; That is where I met the person I would soon lose my virginity to.

Also, I saw Sonic Youth in concert around the same time. What an awesome show!

I have gone alone before. Nothing wrong with it Smile

I've heard of Kim Gordon's new band, that's awesome you've got a chance to see them!

I've gone to concerts alone before, a bunch of times. I prefer going with others, but sometimes it's hard when you've got indie/alternative rock taste and your friends like whatever outrageous pop diva is popular right now. I say go see the show and not worry too much about it, you can tell your friends how awesome it was afterwards!

Thanks for all the input, it turns out my friend can in fact go, but I was going to go ahead alone if she wasn't able to. She is/was a Sonic Youth fan, so I think it'll be fun.

Drew Wrote:I've heard of Kim Gordon's new band, that's awesome you've got a chance to see them!

I've gone to concerts alone before, a bunch of times. I prefer going with others, but sometimes it's hard when you've got indie/alternative rock taste and your friends like whatever outrageous pop diva is popular right now. I say go see the show and not worry too much about it, you can tell your friends how awesome it was afterwards!

Yeah, I knew they had an album coming out and happened upon it on the new release shelf in a record store on Thursday to my surprise. I decided to give it a whirl and bought it, and it's super noisy and drony and out of control, but if you like Sonic Youth at their strangest, you might dig it. It sounds like their live performances are more like art setups or something, as they play their sets with slow motion movies projected behind them (kinda Velvet Underground-style). I appreciate the music on record, but I feel like it's something that kind of needs to be witnessed live to really take in. I expect to be drowned in sound. It'll be a nice last hurrah before I start school on the first of October.

I did that many times, and not only to a concert, but many kinds of event. I also went on holiday alone, and I enjoyed it. I'm independent, I love do these things with my friends but sometimes also alone.
Your attitude is the point.