Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does this mean we are all going to die soon?
Ebola...

Ebola outbreak 'out of control,' says CDC director

Ebola virus is mutating rapidly — say scientists

As of this Day and hour, According to the latest WHO figures:

3,069 people have come down with Ebola.

Of them, 1,552 have died.

— a fatality rate greater than 50 ...

Oh but the good news doesn't end there:

WHO – Ebola cases could be more than 6 times as many as doctors know about now.

What can be worse than that?

Quote:[B]At least 40 per cent of the cases have been in just the last three weeks, the U.N. health agency said, adding that “the outbreak continues to accelerate.
[/B]

That last from the last link. BTW Red was their color - I guess it may be slightly important to be red? IDK We should axe menchose about read....:tongue:

If any of you have been keeping tabs on this since it started in December of 2013 you may have noticed that it has been slowly and steadily doubling over time in the number of cases and deaths. The rate of spread is averaging around 1.8... I know doesn't mean much, on average the number of cases is doubling every 21-26 days.

Its a small matter of exponential numbers...

Currently it is in:

Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

There is another strain recently broke out in the Congo:

Ebola kills 31 people in DR Congo: WHO

They quarantined a slum of about 100,000 people, yesterday they opened it back up because the people inside were starving to death.

Then there are so many announcements of suspected cases in Sweden, Germany, UK, USA - Last week, or perhaps the week before (Time is a relative thing for me), There was a suspected case in the Bay Area (That's like spitting distance from me).

Thus far the media is only telling us loudly when a case is suspected they are failing miserably at telling us loudly enough when those cases are found to be negative.

Could the Ebola outbreak come to the United States?

Quote:Yes, Ebola can come to the United States.

But no, there's no reason to panic.

"This is not an epidemic; it's not the kind of disease that can sweep through New York," said Dr. Alexander van Tulleken of Fordham University.

What is the risk of catching Ebola on a plane?

The 'yes' part:
Given that international air travel is commonplace, it's realistic that an infected passenger could land in the country.

One nearly did.

Patrick Sawyer, a U.S. citizen working in Liberia, fell violently ill while on a plane to Nigeria this month. He was planning on returning to his family in Minnesota but died before he could.

Which the way this has unfolded, we find that the experts are well not as expert in the subject as they would like for us to believe:

"The risk of travelers contracting Ebola is considered low because it requires direct contact with bodily fluids or secretions such as urine, blood, sweat or saliva, experts say. Ebola can't be spread like flu through casual contact or breathing in the same air."

However if one does a general search for 'Pandemic Ebola' The number of experts and sites seem to be pretty much evenly divided on what it can and can not do as a threat.

The problem.... This strain of Ebola hitting Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria has had at least 300 viable mutations throw off. This is a bit atypical of Ebola as since its discovery in the 1970's there has only been a relative handful of mutations discovered and tracked.

Ironically they CDC/WHO and other government types keep on pushing that its not airborne. And technically they are correct (I assume) as airborne means that the virus is able to survive on its own outside of the host floating around on the breeze, its 'shell' being hardened to UV, Oxygen and all of the other terribly deadly (to viruses) things that air contains.

However, they are reluctantly reporting that it can be passed via aerosols - meaning a person coughs, sneezes, breathes a bit heavily expelling moisture from lungs, throat, nose whatever. That mist of bodily fluids can and does carry the Ebola Virus.

They claim three feet.... however more recent study shows that a sneeze is highly explosive, with an exit velocity or or around 100 MPH ( 160.93 Kph) and that sneezes can travel up to 200 feet ( 60.96 meters).

And coughs are no better.... Meaning coughs get the same distance (I couldn't find the land speed record of the unladen cough - anyone?)

But Ebola isn't Airborne....

From Pigs to Monkeys, Ebola Goes Airborne Nov 21, 2012

Please to note the date of the release of this minor observation, November 21 2012.... Meaning two years ago Ebola was seen magically crossing the void of space to infect another species...

Its not airborne.... it must be magic.

To make matters worse, we have clinics in Africa being robbed, patients running away, with blood covered sheets and stuff taken to ????

So considering that 'experts' are sticking to their guns telling us that Ebola isn't airborne (many insisting it can't be) yet research revealed over two years ago that yeah it can....

Considering the velocity and distance traveled by an unladen swallow, erm I mean sneeze and cough (which flies in their 3 feet close proximity 'rule'

Is it safe to assume that they just don't know what the fuck they are talking about?

Thus should I assume that if it does cross the pond that their 'expert opinion' that the Health Care System of America can easily quell it is actually the opposite of reality?

How confident should we be that those in Authority are actually an authority on the matter?

Are we scared yet? Should be be scared?

I half wonder if a good portion of the "reassuring" scientific babble they put out isn't really true (ie: Ebola not able to be passed via air, etc) but is the efforts of the CDC and other agencies to keep things under wraps and avoid mass hysteria.

It seems things are always -worse- once the issue/event is over than the news reports, etc ever said it was -during-, yeah? I really think they make some pretty big efforts to suppress shit just to keep the general public calm. Kind of like boiling a frog, IMO. But, I think that's what they do.

Hate to scare you but Ebola has been to the USA about 5 times already and it was kept secret. Virges dad was talking about it last week. He said the 1st time was back in the 1980s and when it came in on some lab chimpanzees that infected several people in a Maryland laboratory and the customs quarantine personnel. There were some CDC employees in Atlanta that were infected and caused another small outbreak. The rest i dont remember.

Have you heard the Saudi king predicts ISIL will be attacking "soft targets" in the USA with 2 months? Soft targets = malls, schools, day care centers, nursing homes, mental hospitals, all hospitals, tourist hot spots, large public office buildings, churches, synogogues, Walmarts and all big box stores......... and the Saudi king ought to know since his people are the ones paying most of the bills for all islamic terrorism since the 1980s.

StingRay Wrote:Hate to scare you but Ebola has been to the USA about 5 times already and it was kept secret. Virges dad was talking about it last week. He said the 1st time was back in the 1980s and when it came in on some lab chimpanzees that infected several people in a Maryland laboratory and the customs quarantine personnel. There were some CDC employees in Atlanta that were infected and caused another small outbreak. The rest i dont remember.

Have you heard the Saudi king predicts ISIL will be attacking "soft targets" in the USA with 2 months? Soft targets = malls, schools, day care centers, nursing homes, mental hospitals, all hospitals, tourist hot spots, large public office buildings, churches, synogogues, Walmarts and all big box stores......... and the Saudi king ought to know since his people are the ones paying most of the bills for all islamic terrorism since the 1980s.

No I didn't hear that...

I know what soft targets are.

Hmm... So since you bring this up, do you think here is a connection between this outbreak and this prediction?

Nah. Thats not how ISIL or other terrorists work. They like big noise explosions and being able to take credit for it all.

TwisttheLeaf Wrote:I half wonder if a good portion of the "reassuring" scientific babble they put out isn't really true (ie: Ebola not able to be passed via air, etc)

You are right to be skeptical. The truth is, they simply don't have a lot of information about it yet. Sadly, an exotic disease that primarily strikes rural areas in poor areas of Africa just doesn't get the kind of industry-wide attention it ideally should. (Did anyone else find it just a LITTLE bit strange that when they planed back in those two white missionaries to Georgia, they suddenly whip out this "never before tried on humans" special experimental ebola treatment, and it seems to have WORKED?) Hate to be a cynic but it seems like the best thing to happen for the sufferer of a scary disease is to have middle class or affluent people in the first world start catching it. Then all of a sudden people can see a justifiable profit motive in developing treatments for it.

There is a lot of "panic-avoiding" assuring language on publicly available CDC guides and such. But the actual scientific research on ebola is limited both because of the rarity of outbreaks, the remote location of outbreaks, the usual lack of hygienic conditions in outbreak locations, and the speed at which most outbreaks prior to this one burned themselves out. The formal scientific research as to how, exactly, it can spread, is not entirely conclusive, and there is no absolutely conclusive finding that it cannot be spread through the air. (People also forget that many diseases that are not strictly airborne, as in they cannot survive on their own floating in the air, can still easily be passed through the air on sneezed or coughed particulates.) There just isn't enough of a history with enough research to be totally sure.

Sad

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be extra careful now on my daily commute to avoid people vomiting blood.

I generally operate under the assumption that if the lips of agents of the us government are moving, at least part of what they're telling us is a lie. "Government," means governing, and that means controlling perceptions that could threaten the *ability* to govern. Mass panic is not an easily governable situation. When it gets to that, there really isn't much left as a form of persuasion short of brute force.

As for all this Ebola talk, I don't pay attention to the news *at all*. I used to be a news junky but not anymore. My whole life has been expecting the next great world cataclysm. Whether it is Ebola or terrorism or false flag black operations masquerading as terrorism, or some economic collapse or some ecological collapse or the possibility for nuclear annihilation -- what the fuck ever -- the world has been teetering on the eve of destruction as long as I've been alive.

Things have happened but nothing quite like the "end of the world." Not yet anyway. Actually I'm fairly pessimistic about the whole thing -- but that's precisely why I don't watch the news. I'm tired of hearing about all the horrible things that can destroy civilization as we know it and much more interested in hearing about the things that *could,* conceivably, change things for the better. Those, mysteriously, seem less talked about. Certainly far less dramatic.

How is it the authoritarian puts in V for Vendetta? ah, right -- "I want *everyone* to *remember*, why they *need* us!"

According to Wiki we're unsure who the unaffected host is. But it's supposedly the fruit bat. So an ebola outbreak begins everytime somebody comes in contact with fruit bat fluids.

It also says they've found a molecule that inhibits this and several other viruses. I assume it inhibits an enzyme the viruses have in common.
Viruses work by entering a cell and converting to DNA if it's an RNA virus and then transfera to the cell nucleus where it is integrated into the cell's DNA and then transkripted back into RNA, which leaves the nnucleus to be translated to proteins forming new viruses including their capsids, enzymes and DNA or RNA. So that molecule probably inhibits one of those enzymes. And now I'm late... Thanks Bowyn! Sad

good information but there's probably no reason to panic...yet Snake